TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Memory problem worrying me - May 18th 2012, 06:05 AM

I forget nearly everything I learn at school the day after I finish the assignment or take the test. I forget about homework or sometimes even do the homework but forget to turn it in, but now I look at people I've known for years, and I can't remember their names. Nothing comes to mind. I call my best friend the wrong name frequently after knowing her for three years. I call my science teacher the wrong names too.

Occasionally I forget what bus I ride home, or the time an activity starts, what time I get up for school, stuff like that. What worries me most is forgetting people's names.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 18th 2012, 07:12 AM

Hey there! That's pretty scary - I don't blame you for being worried! Fortunately, there are many, MANY tests and assessments out there that examine memory retention/loss. I would speak to your regular doctor about your concerns, so you can be referred to the correct individuals (ex. a neurologist and/or psychologist/psychiatrist who specializes in memory testing/assessment).

In the meantime, I would start carrying a notebook around with you. This is by no means a permanent solution - it's just something to hold you over until you can see your doctor and discuss this concern. When you are in class and the teacher assigns something, write it down. When you say the wrong name for a friend or teacher, immediately write down the correct name for that person, and say who that person is (ex. "Science Teacher = Mr. Jones," "Friend I Have Lunch With = Anna"). Carry this notebook with you at all times. In fact, if you can find a very small notebook that's attached to a chain (kind of like a necklace or reporter's book), get that and wear it around your neck, so you won't accidentally forget the notebook somewhere. Also, write down reminders and tape them to your bathroom mirror, your desk, and even the inside of the house's front door if you need to (that way, you won't be able to miss the reminder as you're getting ready to walk out and go to school).

On another note, if you're currently taking any kind of drug (legal or illegal), I would make a note of it and discuss that with your doctor. If you're seeing a psychological professional, and they've prescribed medication to you, ask if memory problems could be a side effect. If you're taking an illegal drug that potentially affects memory retention, I would consider weaning yourself off the drug and/or abstaining until you can meet with your doctor.

Finally, I would tell your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) about this (if your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) are abusive or neglectful, inform a trusted adult who could assist you if need be). If you were to suddenly forget how to get home (or even how to call home), you would want someone to be aware of the memory problem and be ready to take action (ex. driving around the neighborhood looking for you, calling your friends to see if you're with them, notifying the police and asking them to look for you, etc.). Basically, you don't want to be the only one who knows about this, because what if you suddenly have an "episode" and can't get help on your own? You'll want to rest assured knowing that SOMEONE is always thinking about you and ready to take action if you can't help yourself for a period of time.

Last edited by PSY; May 18th 2012 at 11:44 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 18th 2012, 11:23 PM

I'm a bit like this too, I tell people never to expect me to remember anything, because I won't. I was playing a game of pool the other day and constantly forgot whether I was red or yellow. When playing a duet with my friend I usually forget what part I'm playing even though we've been playing the same pieces all year. I'm also rubbish at remembering where places are ... that's what Im worst at. I'll have been to a place once, and then if anyone asks me where it is I'll have no idea. I had to give directions in a car once to a place I'd been driven to at least once a week for seven years and I got us all lost :S And I'm also rubbish at noticing things.

Sorry that was just a rant about me, I've also wondered if I should get some kind of help. It could be that I'm just a bit shit, and that it'd be nice to have something to sort of blame all this on.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#4 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 21st 2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Hey there! That's pretty scary - I don't blame you for being worried! Fortunately, there are many, MANY tests and assessments out there that examine memory retention/loss. I would speak to your regular doctor about your concerns, so you can be referred to the correct individuals (ex. a neurologist and/or psychologist/psychiatrist who specializes in memory testing/assessment).

In the meantime, I would start carrying a notebook around with you. This is by no means a permanent solution - it's just something to hold you over until you can see your doctor and discuss this concern. When you are in class and the teacher assigns something, write it down. When you say the wrong name for a friend or teacher, immediately write down the correct name for that person, and say who that person is (ex. "Science Teacher = Mr. Jones," "Friend I Have Lunch With = Anna"). Carry this notebook with you at all times. In fact, if you can find a very small notebook that's attached to a chain (kind of like a necklace or reporter's book), get that and wear it around your neck, so you won't accidentally forget the notebook somewhere. Also, write down reminders and tape them to your bathroom mirror, your desk, and even the inside of the house's front door if you need to (that way, you won't be able to miss the reminder as you're getting ready to walk out and go to school).

On another note, if you're currently taking any kind of drug (legal or illegal), I would make a note of it and discuss that with your doctor. If you're seeing a psychological professional, and they've prescribed medication to you, ask if memory problems could be a side effect. If you're taking an illegal drug that potentially affects memory retention, I would consider weaning yourself off the drug and/or abstaining until you can meet with your doctor.

Finally, I would tell your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) about this (if your parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) are abusive or neglectful, inform a trusted adult who could assist you if need be). If you were to suddenly forget how to get home (or even how to call home), you would want someone to be aware of the memory problem and be ready to take action (ex. driving around the neighborhood looking for you, calling your friends to see if you're with them, notifying the police and asking them to look for you, etc.). Basically, you don't want to be the only one who knows about this, because what if you suddenly have an "episode" and can't get help on your own? You'll want to rest assured knowing that SOMEONE is always thinking about you and ready to take action if you can't help yourself for a period of time.
My parents are fine. I could casually slip in to my mother how awful my memory is. I have an all over the place sleep schedule. I'm worried that's the cause.

I don't worry I'm going to forget how to go home. I did forget my phone number a few weeks ago. I forget more things immediatly after they happen. Stuff like this happens a lot:

Me: What's for dinner?
Mom: Hot dogs
Me: Okay, um, wait, what did you say?

Or I'll put something away and within a few seconds I can't remember doing this. O Friday I brought my history workbook to school specifically for the purpose of completing the work before my history class during break. I forgot to turn it in and I did it a few minutes ago.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 21st 2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds
My parents are fine. I could casually slip in to my mother how awful my memory is. I have an all over the place sleep schedule. I'm worried that's the cause.

I don't worry I'm going to forget how to go home. I did forget my phone number a few weeks ago. I forget more things immediatly after they happen. Stuff like this happens a lot:

Me: What's for dinner?
Mom: Hot dogs
Me: Okay, um, wait, what did you say?

Or I'll put something away and within a few seconds I can't remember doing this. O Friday I brought my history workbook to school specifically for the purpose of completing the work before my history class during break. I forgot to turn it in and I did it a few minutes ago.
Well, a poor or irregular sleep schedule could certainly affect your ability to remember things. Before you rush off to the doctor, I would try to get that straightened out first. Make sure that you're getting a decent amount of sleep each night (8-9 hours is ideal, but you may be able to get away with as little as 6 hours - I wouldn't do less than that, though), and try to go to sleep around the same time each night (that will help your body adjust to the new sleep schedule). You may need to re-work your existing schedule a bit in order to make this possible, but trust me, it's worth it. Get into the habit now before you go to college and/or get a job!

When you ask your mom what's for dinner, what are you doing? See, this is something I often suffer from. It's called "multi-tasking," and unfortunately, it doesn't always work. You can't always listen to someone properly when you're busy doing or thinking about something else. If you're watching TV or reading a book, for example, you may have the cognitive ability to ask a question, but your mind may not have the capacity to take in and fully process the answer. From now on, when you're trying to remember something (ex. what your mom said, what a teacher is assigning for homework), drop everything else and simply focus on what is being said. Write it down, look at what you wrote down, and even murmur it to yourself out loud (not necessarily when you're at home, but definitely at school). See if all of that combined helps you remember some of these more simple things.

As for the other stuff (not remembering where you put something, not remembering to do an assignment), I'd say that you should work on your sleep schedule and stop multi-tasking first (along with everything else I mentioned - writing things down, stopping the use of drugs that affect memory retention), THEN see if the memory loss persists. If it does, casually bringing this up with your mom would be a great idea. It can't hurt to run a couple of neurological tests in order to rule out medical conditions.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 25th 2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

Well, a poor or irregular sleep schedule could certainly affect your ability to remember things. Before you rush off to the doctor, I would try to get that straightened out first. Make sure that you're getting a decent amount of sleep each night (8-9 hours is ideal, but you may be able to get away with as little as 6 hours - I wouldn't do less than that, though), and try to go to sleep around the same time each night (that will help your body adjust to the new sleep schedule). You may need to re-work your existing schedule a bit in order to make this possible, but trust me, it's worth it. Get into the habit now before you go to college and/or get a job!

When you ask your mom what's for dinner, what are you doing? See, this is something I often suffer from. It's called "multi-tasking," and unfortunately, it doesn't always work. You can't always listen to someone properly when you're busy doing or thinking about something else. If you're watching TV or reading a book, for example, you may have the cognitive ability to ask a question, but your mind may not have the capacity to take in and fully process the answer. From now on, when you're trying to remember something (ex. what your mom said, what a teacher is assigning for homework), drop everything else and simply focus on what is being said. Write it down, look at what you wrote down, and even murmur it to yourself out loud (not necessarily when you're at home, but definitely at school). See if all of that combined helps you remember some of these more simple things.

As for the other stuff (not remembering where you put something, not remembering to do an assignment), I'd say that you should work on your sleep schedule and stop multi-tasking first (along with everything else I mentioned - writing things down, stopping the use of drugs that affect memory retention), THEN see if the memory loss persists. If it does, casually bringing this up with your mom would be a great idea. It can't hurt to run a couple of neurological tests in order to rule out medical conditions.
I don't do any drugs! I promise.

I'll just be standing there having a conversation and I forget. I wasn't doing other things, just talking to her.

I don't remember the conversation again until she tells me we talked about putting pencils in my backpack or whatever.

i told my mom and she just joked about it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
medic2013 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: Memory problem worrying me - May 28th 2012, 01:03 AM

Im the same way. I was sent for test by my school and comes to findout that I had A-D-D. Does it feel like that you stay confused and u don't understand anything?

Closed Thread