Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Anala Offline
Not a n00b
Anala's Avatar
Name: Amzies
Gender: Female
Location: Behind you (Mountains, USA)

Posts: 75
Join Date: September 24th 2010

Is this possible? - December 25th 2012, 05:13 AM

Hey guys~

If you are a minor (in the legal sense), is it possible to see a therapist without your parent's consent?

  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17's Avatar
Edit avatar

Posts: n/a

Re: Is this possible? - December 25th 2012, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure about a therapist but I'm pretty sure you can see a school counselor and keep the conversation as discreet as you'd like. Not for sure though.

I really think it'd be good to tell your parents about what's going on so they can help you and get you the therapists you deserve. And also so you won't be suffering in silence. They'll know how to help you.

~ Christabel
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper
MidnightMay's Avatar
Gender: Female
Location: OK

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: February 13th 2012

Re: Is this possible? - December 25th 2012, 11:58 PM

If you are 16 you can but if you are on your parents insurance or can't provide payment then you would need your parents help. As said above a school counselor can listen but will contact parents if you are in danger or they feel it is something to share.

I agree again with talking to your parents about talking to one. They might not understand at first why but it will help you so much more and can offer more than a school counsleor. Also therapist will keep confidentiality unless thery feel you or someone else is in danger.

I would say though depending on what you want to go for would depend on if a school counselor or therapist would be better. You might also ask a school counselor if he/she thinks you need it and how to go through with getting the help you need. They also have list of really great therapist in your area and that is how I found mine.

Good luck!!

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
Kate*'s Avatar
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,654
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Is this possible? - December 27th 2012, 06:18 PM

It depends where you live, in most states you can see someone for a certain number of sessions without consent, but it's still a good idea to try and tell them; some parents are more understanding than we think. You can see a school counselor, but any professional will be required by law to tell your parents if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
kcello Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
kcello's Avatar
Name: Jane
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Posts: 27
Join Date: December 14th 2011

Re: Is this possible? - December 27th 2012, 10:20 PM

Try your school counselor! Unfortunately since you are 16 you would need insurance to see a counselor, so you would need your parents to pay unless you somehow could pay for yourself. Good luck.

You are never alone. Life is a beautiful thing, especially with you in it.
  Send a message via AIM to kcello  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran
PSY's Avatar
Name: Robin
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Southern California

Posts: 10,015
Blog Entries: 34
Join Date: June 12th 2009

Re: Is this possible? - December 29th 2012, 07:31 AM

Like Kate said, it depends on what state you live in. For example, in California, a minor who is at least 12 years old CAN see a therapist, without their parents' knowledge, under certain circumstances. As other members already stated, your school probably has a guidance counselor and/or school psychologist. They would be free to see, and unless you or someone else is being hurt, they wouldn't have to tell your parents. If you want to pursue therapy outside of school, then you'll need to get in touch with a psychological professional and inquire further.

I don't know what your situation is... but if you are being abused, then I encourage you to tell someone at your school, so that the appropriate individuals (ex. the police and child protective services) can be contacted and act on your behalf. If it's just a matter of wanting to talk to someone, then you might want to consider telling your parents how you're feeling. Teens often think their parents won't understand or will criticize them, but you may be pleasantly surprised! Ultimately, most parents want their children to be happy and healthy... so they may be willing to pay for your treatment, if you tell them it's what you want.

  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough
Validity's Avatar
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Is this possible? - December 29th 2012, 10:17 AM

Hey there,

It depends on your location. But, school councillor's are trained and are sometimes beter or easier to talk to them therapists. But, if you would like to se a therpist, I would advise you speaking to your parents, and requesting one if you would like to talk. You don't have to tell them what for until you're ready to talk. but I wouldn't advise lying.
Just think about it,


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.