TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 28th 2012, 08:13 PM

So I am just curious if you feel this is wrong because my family now has something new to talk about. I go to therapy and actually had some real big issues going on and I had let my therapist know about them. She had cancelled an appointment letting them know it was kind of a crisis she had to deal with and the other family was ok with it. Is it wrong she actually cared enough to see me ahead of time because technically it was a huge deal?? They said she was wrongful but yet they didn't care what was going on could have landed me in a hospital. I have been asked and told she had to reschedule because of someone else having an emergency and I find as long as the other person was ok with it then nothing was wrong... Maybe I can only see that I really needed help and can't see past it but I know hwat its like on both ends.

All in all would you be upset if that happens??

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 28th 2012, 10:18 PM

I have had key workers and psychologists re-arrange other people's appointments to see me in the past. As a general rule, if you're in crisis you become a higher priority, and if the other clients are fine with it, then it's fine.

For example, in October, I desperately needed to see my key worker. I had to wait a couple of hours (she was out on call), but when she got back she had cancelled 2 appointments that afternoon so she could deal with me.

As long as your people are professional, and you're getting the help you need in a timely manner, then your family (or whoever else) have no right to make you feel bad about that. The important thing (from your own and your team's point of view) is your safety and well-being, so yeah.

(When I lived at home my Mum got a bit annoyed at having to transport me to such appointments though. Public transport is something of a mixed blessing in that regard.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 29th 2012, 05:51 AM

As long as the client whose appointment is being rescheduled is okay with it, there's nothing wrong with cancelling appointments to make room for a crisis appointment. Some therapists will rarely do this, so if yours thought it was necessary for you to get urgent help, then I'm sure it was necessary, and no one has a right to say it was unfair for the therapist to do that.

It looks as if your family doesn't understand the extent to which you required help, seeing as they are questioning your therapist's decision. This is usually due to little understanding of the importance of mental health issues, particularly your own. I think it would be a good idea to sit your family down and emphasise to them just how important it is for you to have access to help when you need it. How much you tell them is up to you, but the more you tell them, the more likely they may realise the seriousness of your situation. It may also be helpful to write a letter to them or print out fact sheets on issues that you're struggling with to give them a better understanding. Your therapist may also be able to talk to speak with them, and if you're under 18/non-independent, I think this is very important as they'll be taking you to your appointments.

If your family still won't understand, this is something you'll have to accept and learn to get better with a different support network. Don't ever let anyone (including yourself) let you get in the way of you getting help when you need it, and like Jess said, don't feel bad about it.

Take care <3
If you ever want to talk, never hesitate to pm me (:
~Amy

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 29th 2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks and transportation and everything is my responsibility I am just at home with them because my husband is in the army. The only problem I have is I have issues and if my family knows its like the end of the world and they have tried to ship me to some mental health place before but I can make sure that I don't stay. They constantly tell me how where I am going is the wrong place and they know the perfect person. As long as I am in their house its their rules. I am starting to think I will just see her without them knowing or tell them I am going less.

And thanks for the input!! i feel guilty from them going on nonstop about it!

feel free to PM me...

take it off and breathe

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 29th 2012, 10:22 AM

Another's appointment was pushed back so mine could see me. I felt bad about it but my therapist was ringing constantly to make sure I was okay. This was after my attempt so I could see why.

Jay/

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 29th 2012, 11:36 AM

I was admitted into a psychiatric unit for quite a while last year and the two/threes weeks before I was admitted, I was in A&E everyday getting stitches from self harming badly. I had an appointment with The Crisis Team but she took me to CAMHS (I had a Primary mental health worker there) without even planning it so I could see the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist was in an appointment ans had someone else waiting but she came out to come into the appointment with the crisis time which was when I was hospitalised. I was at CAMHS until half six and it closes at five so even the reception staff had to stay on longer so sort out my admittance. And honestly? It probably saved my life and I hope that you getting to see your counsellor earlier than you should have done helped. It sounds like your family just can't really understand it. Could you try talking to them about it?

Can I ask how old are you? Do you have a Crisis Team you can contact?

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; December 29th 2012 at 03:20 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 29th 2012, 03:50 PM

I don't think I'd be upset...probably because I'd know that the therapist wouldn't cancel unless it was urgent and I'd understand that the other person needed more help than me at this particular time. if that makes any sense?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Emergency Appointments makes my family mad?? - December 30th 2012, 09:28 PM

Palmolive I am 19. Well on my feet except for the moment while my husband is finishing his active duty in the army.

feel free to PM me...

take it off and breathe

Closed Thread