TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Unhappy how can this mental illness be fixed? - December 31st 2012, 12:49 AM

hey guys i dress very emo/Gothic and please can you go go to my profile and look and me and tell em what u think because i feel like people are always looking at my how i dress my hair etc. examples: i went out with my dads boss for dinner i went to get something from the car as i walked back in to the resistant i noticed a few guys all looked at my grining like they were laughing at me for some strange reason also when i was waiting to get my drinks before all this i saw some guy who works there just standing there looking at me for some reason he was standing there i think because he had nothing to do but he kept looking at me! also when i go in to my hair dressers i find one of the girls there who work there keeps looking at how i have my hair and how i dress and then i see her looking away smiling at the other lady washing some ones hair next to her in town today i went to the phone shop because i needed to send my phone off to be fixed i was walking across town with my mum and we walked past some girls i would say age they were about 19 20 25 that sort of age i noticed they were smiling i thought they looked at me then as i walked in the phone shop i saw one of the girls look in the window as they were walking past the shop we went in to see if they could see me again so they could laugh at me is this all in my head also at school i have had my hair spiky for about 3 years people are not use to seeing me with long hair anyway i have had it for half a year now some of the girls giggle is it because my hair covers my eye or what? loads of Gothic/ emo kids but at the end of the day loads of kids have crazy hair style i think the reason why the kids laughed is because its me im not mega popular and people like to take the piss out of me so i think the part that they find funny is because they cant believe justin is an emo if chris did it they wouldn't care i bet ya but because i did it they find it funny at school but anyway the big reason is when im outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im getting scared to go out my confidence has been hit baddly so please help people its making me feel even more depressed then i really am be honest guys but i supose a way to look at this is some random emo girl came up to me i didnt even know her and she told me she liked my jacket ! core that made my day she said hey i have never met you before but i love your jacket they built my confidence up abit i will admit but its still getting knocked down hard :/ GUYS!!! I JUST WANNA SAY IN MY PICTURE ON MY DISPLAY PICTURE MY HAIR IS OUT OF PLACE BUT U CAN SEE HOW MY HAIR GOES IT KINDA DRIPS OVER MY EYE LOOKS BETTER THEN THAT NORMALLY !!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: how can this mental illness be fixed? - December 31st 2012, 12:58 AM

Don't worry what other people think, yes I know its hard, but if you like the way you dress, who cares?

I've went through days where i've put on hippy-ish outfits and the next wore my baggy jeans and band tees, just because it reflected what i was feeling that day.

I would try not to worry about it, show people you're better than that.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: how can this mental illness be fixed? - December 31st 2012, 01:00 AM

Hey,

I guess at the end of the day you dress for yourself, if you think you look nice than that's that. You have to stand up for the decisions that you make. If you want to dress a particular way, thats your choice, so don't let yourself get down about it. This is going to sound depressing, but there will always be people in your life trying to get you down. No matter who you are, what you do, or what you wear, there is always going to be a critic or someone laughing. Its just something that everyone has to figure out how to go about resolving within yourself. Self confidence is not something that is given to you through compliments and popularity, its something you create within yourself for yourself. And how you go about that will be your own personal journey.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: how can this mental illness be fixed? - December 31st 2012, 02:17 AM

I personally agree with Lizzie here. All you have to do in life is be yourself, and if people try to get you down, so what? They are not people you want in your life. The saying "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind," comes to me when I think of this. If there are people out there who constantly try to get you down over this, pay them no mind. There will be people out there that will care about you for who you are and not care about how you look or dress, and those are the people that you want. If you are happy wearing something or looking a certain way, wear it. No matter how you act or how you look there will be people out there that will try and bring you down, but don't live to make them happy. Live to make yourself happy.

Try to write down everything that you find good about yourself, even the small things, because I know they are there. There are positive qualities. When I was in the 8th grade my counselor suggested writing down these on a piece of paper like so "I have nice hair." "I am kind." Things like that. Then repeat them to yourself a few times daily to assure yourself. Write down the things that make you smile or happy too and know there is always something to keep hanging on for. Work on tuning out those people who are critics, because they don't matter anyway, but instead focus on the good, because the good is always there.

I wish you the best!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: how can this mental illness be fixed? - December 31st 2012, 07:04 PM

I'd just like to point out that I don't think that's a mental illness? But I agree with everyone, don't worry about what other people think.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread