TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Question Dissociation, Psychosis, or Just Weird? - January 19th 2013, 04:46 PM

I've been getting very distant, like my mind is watching everyone from a bubble in my head. I float, and my body moves with me. But it's not mine. It's someone else typing and someone else that eats my food. I have trouble forming independent thoughts and comprehending what is being said and done around me. I have spans of completely blank memory, where I've apparently done things and can't remember them at all. Once I even apparently took on an alternate name, "Jasmine" (also one of the voices that has often appeared in my head), and took on her personality. I only know this because my friend told me. She said something about me, Eli, and Jasmine. But they've as far as I know stopped coming. At one point Eli even took my teenhelp account and changed it to his. Luckily as far as I know I haven't done this around my family, mostly only at school and other stressful environments. Anyway, right now I feel like I'm floating above my body and my senses are dulled, and from what I've read about dissociation, it does this. Can anyone who's experienced these things give me feedback?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Dissociation, Psychosis, or Just Weird? - January 19th 2013, 05:36 PM

I would say that my biggest concern for you would be the fact that you feel that you are having memory issues, where you feel that you have “blacked out”. This could be some cause for concern. And while it may not be a big deal at the moment, it could be a big deal in the future, or a sign that something might not be OK. Have you ever had a concussion, been knocked to the ground really hard, or have hit your head? Do you have a history of seizures? If you answered yes to any of those, then I highly urge you to speak to your doctor.

Now if you haven’t had anything like that, I am going to suggest that you talk to your parents. This is obviously something that could affect your life severely. What if you do something bad or illegal while you are blacked out? Telling someone before that happens is really important. They will be less likely to believe you if you say after you shoplift (for example) that you can’t remember. Because there will be no previous record of such actions. You wouldn’t want to end up in jail because you did something that you can’t control. That is just an example about how this could play out if you don’t open up to someone. I am not saying that you would commit a crime because you blackout, but since you don’t have control or recollection of what happens, you never know what could happen to you.

The rest of it, the names and such that come out, that is not as concerning to me as the memory part. People can have weird personalities and nothing be wrong with them. So what you really need to focus on is when you lose control of yourself. It might help if that when you talk to your parents you have some of your friends come with you, so that they can tell them what they have experienced.

What I do find a little odd is that this is not happening at home or that your parents have never noticed. Which leads me to my next question, have you ever done drugs? Drugs can do terrible, awful, permanent damage to your body and mind and would completely explain the memory issues. Even if you have only done them once, I am going to again, highly encourage you to speak to your doctor.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Dissociation, Psychosis, or Just Weird? - January 19th 2013, 11:18 PM

I don't know that I've ever had a concussion, but when I was little I was skating and fell and hit my head so that I had no idea where I was. Since then I've had a few incidents with getting hit with soccer balls or hitting my head on floors or walls (I'm quite clumsy), but I didn't think any of them caused much lasting damage. My mom has epilepsy caused by having bulimia as a teen. I have bulimia as well, but as far as I know I don't have seizures, although there are times when I have these strange sensations throughout my body and my eyes start flicking back and forth. But since I remember them they wouldn't be seizures right? I've never done drugs, only taken those prescribed to me by my psychiatrist or doctor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Dissociation, Psychosis, or Just Weird? - January 20th 2013, 12:39 AM

I would say you probably should tell someone soon. There is a list of possibilities. Honestly going to a doctor or a psychiatrist is the best option. It could be something mental health or something that is caused by a health issue but only a professional can tell you. I would say that the first step is telling you parents and let them know how much of a problem it is.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

Closed Thread