TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Exclamation Coping with Limited/No Professional Resources - February 22nd 2013, 09:22 PM

Hello, everyone...I've been inactive for quite some time, but I kind of miss this place. I also think that many of you lovely members may have some good advice for me.

Background:

I am 20 years old. I work full-time and have been taking a break from school, but I'm trying to go back in the fall.

I have an extensive history of mental illness. My current diagnosis is Major Depressive Disorder (Dx code 296.33), although I've been given a conflicting diagnosis of Bipolar I disorder in the past. I have also struggled with an EDNOS, SH/suicidal thoughts and behaviors, and severe anxiety/panic attacks. I started treatment and was diagnosed at the age of fifteen. I went to therapy for three years, but I still see my psychiatrist every few months (currently taking 200mg of Zoloft daily).

I was bumped off of Medicaid in late 2011 due to a slight increase in income (it was December, and I was working two retail jobs). My psychiatrist made an exception for me, and only charged me $25 for each visit.

Lately, my mental health has started going down hill again, with no situation-based causes. I have started having panic attacks at inconvenient times (like at work or in the grocery store), and my base anxiety levels have been high. My psychiatrist tried adding on a medication (5mg Abilify), but that only made me worse.

During all of this, I found out that my psychiatrist will be moving out of state. I must find another psychiatrist that I can afford with 0 insurance...and they have to be willing to help me manage my medications without me attending therapy first. I've already done my therapy time, and it would not be constructive, nor really possible for me to go on a regular basis. And the Zoloft has been working for my depressive symptoms, so I don't want to run out of refills and have no doctor to prescribe more.

I'm in a really tough position. While I may have a job that pays more now, I still can't afford $100-$200 to go see a psychiatrist, especially since my wedding is this September AND my fiance and I are in the process of moving into a new house.

I'm not really sure that I have any options here. I feel like I need the help of an M.D., but I can't get that kind of help. The panic attacks/anxiety combination is really interfering with my life. I don't know what to do.

Any thoughts, brain-storming or advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Coping with Limited/No Professional Resources - February 22nd 2013, 10:29 PM

You only see your psychiatrist once every few months? So you currently are not in therapy? If you are not in therapy, then you don't need a psychiatrist, you could just go to your general practitioner to get the medication. And that alone will be cheaper than seeing a psychiatrist.

But I think its interesting that you think nothing major is going on in your life right now. Coming from another bride to be... you are getting married! That is HUGE! Not only are weddings stressful in of themselves, but you are going through a major life change right now. And maybe once you really meditate on that idea, that your life is entering a new phase, you will be able to see where your new stress is coming from.

You say that attending therapy would not be beneficial? Therapy can pretty much always be beneficial, there are always new techniques, new research, new studies that can lead to a more productive therapy session. You said yourself that you haven't been in a while? How do you know that it wont help? How do you know that a different type of therapy will not benefit you? I would think when you are having such a rough time you would be willing to at least try something new.

Do you know where you are in your MDD cycle? The medication will take a little time to wear off, so you might have some time to find a doctor to fill the prescription. Try having your psychiatrist calling your doctor, they should be able to just transfer the prescription over?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread