TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

My case manager... - September 2nd 2014, 02:25 AM

So, my case manager basically called me a manipulative liar - she thinks that I am faking my mental health problems and using her, my psychiatrist, counselor, and old case manager even, as pawns in a game of lies. I personally think that someone has seen too much Pretty Little Liar episodes, because I have done no such thing.

Was this wrong for her to do? To tell me this? Some of my friends feel that she should have went to her supervisor about this before confronting me about it, and that she should get in trouble.

I really hate to see her get into trouble though, because she has done a lot for me, like research why I can't get health care, figure out how I can fix my roof, and has sort of been there for me with my self harm, though she wasn't entirely helpful in that area.

She really upset me when she told me about all of this and I went and told my counselor, who talked to my case manager's head, head supervisor, who is my old case manager, to see if I can get a different case manager, and my old case manager text me and told me that she would see about getting me one my counselor suggested.

This has been a terrible ordeal for me, and I really hope she doesn't get into too much trouble.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My case manager... - September 2nd 2014, 02:35 AM

Hey,

I'm really sorry that your case manager said that! I have had a similar experience and what she said to you was beyond unprofessional, it was plain rude of her to express such opinions to you. So, to answer your question, that was completely wrong on her end.

We have to remember that professionals are people too and although she might have been having a bad day or had something else going on that is no excuse for her to treat her clients like that. I am glad she has helped you in the past, but I am also glad that you spoke to your counselor about this. If your case manager gets into trouble that is because of something she did. You did the right thing by telling your counselor about this.

It's definitely okay to be upset about this but as you mentioned in your post, you haven't done what your case manager thinks you have. Even though she doesn't know the truth, you do and no-one can take that away from you. Take pride in knowing the truth.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
will was here Offline
You're stronger than you think
Average Joe

Name: Will!

Re: My case manager... - September 2nd 2014, 08:20 PM

first of all, what this person is doing is extremely unprofessional. It's not a case worker's job to be judgemental or accusatory. It's their job to be an ally.

My mom has schizophrenia and she has dealt with some crazy social workers and therapists. But she has also had some very supportive people with her too. sometimes the people who were supportive at first started becoming unsupportive and to be honest just as unprofessional as the case worker you are describing.

Sometimes we grow out of our providers and it's time to move on. While someone may have been helpful at one time does not give them license to abuse us. You don't deserve that. Nobody deserves that.

Keep looking out for other providers. You might just find one glove that fits.

flower
hello my heart where have you been
I missed you when you left
you ran away with that senseless boy
and left me dim and dry
like a faded flower in the mist

Come back my heart. you have a home here
In this place that is my soul
I want to feel like whole again. don't waste your time with him

Have faith my heart. You'll get a second chance
come back to me and you will not be alone
  Send a message via AIM to will was here  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: My case manager... - September 2nd 2014, 11:04 PM

Hi there,

I know that you would hate to see her get in trouble, but it really wasn't right for her to say all of those things. It was very unprofessional, since she should be talking to you in a supportive manner. If she gets in trouble, it was her own fault and maybe next time she will learn to keep things to herself. It's not your fault if she does, it's hers for saying all of that to begin with.

It wasn't right that she said that, though, and I do hope that if you get another case manager, they are more supportive to you and realize that you aren't just doing this to manipulate people. You're definitely not the type of person to do that! You deserve all of the support you can get, not negativity.

It was great that you told your counselor though and I hope that in the meantime, your counselor can be more of a support system to you.

-Dez

(#5 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My case manager... - September 3rd 2014, 02:20 AM

Turns out, I'm stuck with this one at least until she goes on maternity leave in the next month or so. She didn't exactly apologize to me when I spoke with her today about my medicine, but she did seem like she wanted to make amends.

She told me that by making me mad, she knows that she hit home on a topic for me, and she kind of did... I'm re-thinking about getting a new case manager. This one is very nice, she's just a little outspoken.

She did warn me that she was honest and went straight-to-the-point when she first became my case manager, I forgot that until she reminded me. I think that she was just trying to do her job, but I also think that she got into trouble for saying what she said, which makes me feel better.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: My case manager... - September 3rd 2014, 03:37 AM

Hi,
People can be outspoken without meaning to be. Maybe she was overwhelmed that day. That does not excuse her behavior so if she was outspoken it is not your fault.
I am glad things worked out today.
Take care.

I am going to close this thread since the situation is resolved. You can message me if you have questions or about re opening the thread if you would like.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread