TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TaraP123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Misophonia? - January 27th 2015, 07:59 PM

Hi,

So, I eat my tea sat next to my dad and we all tend to watch tv together. However, within the last month, the sound my dad makes eating has had an increasing effect on me. I am disgusted by his chewing and gulping, and he has a tendency to eat too fast, which causes him to burp. Repeatedly. EVERY NIGHT! I detest the sound of burping and it makes me want to smack him! Plus he whistles really loudly and clears his throat often, which also annoys me.

I did some googling yesterday, as it is just getting worse, and the word Misophonia kept appearing. By looking at the scale of Misophonia, I would say I am at a level 3/4, but I'm not convinced that I'm not just overreacting and being stupid.

Any thoughts?

Tara

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Misophonia? - January 27th 2015, 10:32 PM

Its possible you just find anything he does as annoying. For example, everything my mom did, no matter what, bothered me growing up, but I know I didn't have Misophonia. Do you have an actual problem with him? Maybe your just projecting a possibly unacceptable dislike towards him onto his habits instead.
I'd say a good example of somebody with misophonia was the dude from "Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe. If you think like him, then yeah, maybe you have a bigger problem on your hands.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Misophonia? - January 27th 2015, 10:35 PM

To me it sounds just like me and my grandpa and everything he does bothers me. I think it could just be him that bothers you and not that disorder.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Misophonia? - January 27th 2015, 11:59 PM

Hi Tara,

Misophonia is the extreme dislike of particular sounds. Often times, these sounds produce anger and frustration. If only certain sounds from your dad bother you, this could be misophonia. From what I understand, this is rare but that doesn't mean it is nonexistent. If more of your dad bothers you, you could be projecting negative feelings towards his actions like others have said. Regardless, I suggest seeing a professional so you can get help for this. Here is an article that you might find helpful.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Misophonia? - January 28th 2015, 12:22 AM

A while back, I posted something similar on TH describing how the sound of a yawn really gets me worked up. And it isn't just the yawn itself, it's a certain sound in the yawn that if I heard it in another way from a different source, I'd react the same. Someone mentioned that it could possibly be OCD which is an anxiety disorder. But it could very well be misophonia. The reason I mention this is to show that it is hard to tell what the root of the problem. We could only speculate. Like others have mentioned, it could be feelings towards your father in particular. Or it could be towards the burping sound that your dad is often the main source of.
Do you find that you're not as bothered when you're not as stressed? Perhaps if you reduce stress you'd be more tolerant. Or for now at least, (until you find a more permanent solution) you can try to avoid it as much as possible. I'm not sure if your dad is the type to understand things from your point of view but you can try talking to him about it. Though some people end up doing it more that way or just doesn't stop. It might also be that because he is eating quickly and has some kind of anxiety himself, that some of it is transferred over to you and you take in all the energy around you.
Maybe mention it to a doctor and see what they say...
I hope you figure things out soon!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TaraP123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Misophonia? - January 28th 2015, 07:05 AM

Thank you for the replies �� I'm not sure whether the annoyance is actually due to him as you said, but I definitely am more angry at him and get worked up at him over these sounds. However, as they only seem to have that effect on me when he does them, it could be that I just find him annoying ��

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Misophonia? - February 5th 2015, 07:43 PM

I've read extensively about misophonia and self diagnosed myself. I totally feel your pain! Some research says that you're more likely to be bothered by the sounds of the people you are closest to (your dad). I think it's because you're around them so much! I can't stand the noises of my parents eating, scraping the utensils on their teeth, cracking bones, breathing loudly... and so much more. But it bothers me quite a bit in public too. There was a girl chewing on an apple today in class and it nearly drove me up the wall! :P

A big part of misophonia is the reaction to the sounds - becoming angry and wanting to run away from the sound. It's like a fight or flight response.

Good thing to know is most research done by doctors says it's most likely NOT a mental condition. However, that may be challenged in cases of people with PTSD. It's more likely a defect in a part of your inner ear that makes you hear too well. Things literally sound louder than they actually are. It's very different than someone with Asperger's who is timid when it comes to loud sounds.

I bet you have loud sounds that you enjoy, like loud music? You may even have some repetitive sounds you enjoy as well, like rain hitting a window? Misophonia is in it's earliest stages of being researched. There are even doctors who have not heard of it!

It seems like everyone who posts about misophonia has the same "symptoms" or same noises they dislike - chewing, breathing, sniffling, etc...

Value any quiet time you can get. Get some noise cancelling headphones if you'd like, that may help you enjoy time alone so that you can block out all noises. Just don't let anything get in the way of your daily life and you should be fine. There's a lot of annoying noises in this world, sadly, but we can get through it!

Best of luck!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Misophonia? - February 15th 2015, 12:15 PM

Hi Tara,

I get annoyed by certain sounds as well though I have never heard of and doubt I have misophonia. I just really focus on sound because I am unable to see so sound and my other senses are how I interact with the world.
I notice this happens in relation to my cousin when she burps and makes other loud noises. Could you be experiencing this annoyance because of this being your dad or because the sound is actually rather inappropriate and disgusting?
I know with my cousin I hate the sounds she makes when eating because sometimes she does it because she knows it annoys me and other times she does it because she does not see what I see as rued or annoying as annoying therefore she does not even believe she is being rude (even though other people have admitted this to her).
You could try talking to your dad if you believe that would help. Also, maybe talking to your mom could help; she could feel the same way about things and try to help by letting your dad know how his actions bother her.
Self-diagnosis is not the best way to figure out you have a condition because people tend to look at signs and symptoms online and believe they have certain conditions when in reality they have some aspects of a condition but not all and people also may have another condition altogether. If you believe you have this, it would be best to talk to a mental health professional for diagnosis and support. They may be able to give you suggestions about how to cope when you hear the sounds that bother you.
Hopefully this helps and that things can improve for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread