TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Weird mental conflict? - April 12th 2017, 12:51 AM

I'm broke, right. So obviously, to counter the fact that I am poor as fuck and can't afford extra luxuries, I've been going out and spending the last of what's in my wallet on useless shit.

Because that's going to fix the fact that I barely have any money left on my account.

I sound stupid, don't I? I don't know why this has been happening but it's weird af. I've never been this stressed about money before, and my parents are even more stressed about their own money, so it's not like I have them for a backup to help me out at all.

I'm not broke as in I have literally no money left, but I have such a small amount left that I should NOT be spending it, especially on things that aren't necessities. I'm not saying I'm going out and buying random ass things... they're things I actually do want, badly, and I will use them. But at a time like this, it's not worth spending the last of my money on.

Something similar to this happens when I'm so unbelievably stressed out by school, yet all I can do is procrastinate every bit of work I have so that it stresses me out even more. Just like how I'm nearly broke, so let me spend every physical dollar bill I have left, so that I get even more broke.

I just don't understand the psychology behind this.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Weird mental conflict? - April 12th 2017, 12:53 PM

You don't sound stupid at all. Of course, it's not logical to spend the little money you have on things you don't need, but life is never that simple

I think sometimes that it can be easy to kind of disconnect and become a bit wreck-less when we are trying to avoid things that we need to deal with. If we have don't have great coping techniques in general, and then get put in a stressful situation, I think it's fairly common to see behaviour that doesn't help. It's a way of avoidance and perhaps even a bit like denial where you try to carry on doing what you usually do, rather than accept that there is a problem that needs to be worked through.

This makes sense especially because you mention that you've never been this stressed out about money and you don't have the back up from your parents as they have money issues too.

Is there anything you can do now to help your financial situation? Even if it's just either trying to cut down on spending or looking for cheaper alternatives. It can be good to not only put plans in place but to take action too, so that this situation doesn't get out of hand causing more stress.

This is also similar to procrastination. You know you have work to do, and don't want to do it, so procrastinate, knowing that you'll have less time to do the work. It doesn't help the situation but feels nice in the short term, which perhaps means you don't realise how bad things could get until it's too late.

I assume that it's more common than we realise, but it's possible to overcome with plans, taking action, and sticking to it.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread