TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Tips for starting with a new therapist? - April 20th 2017, 11:16 PM

Okay, so I know I've posted before about possibly switching therapists, but contrary to those posts, this isn't by choice. After being sick last week, she told me today that she's leaving the current practice and isn't sure where she's moving to yet. She couldn't legally offer me the option to follow her because she doesn't know where she'll be, so my options were to either switch to someone at the same practice, or find someone new anywhere based on my insurance. She scheduled me with someone else at the same place who she says is probably most similar to her in personality. Once she's established, if I don't like this new person and she stays close, I will have the option to go back to her if I want.

Since I've considered switching more than once before now, I'm not taking this as the end of the world or anything, but I've never had this happen before. It's not like going for the first time because I've had multiple sessions with her already. I don't have to start from the beginning again (thank God), but in a way I kind of do because this new person has never met me. She'll have good notes, but that's it. Can anyone who's done this before offer any tips?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I Believe In Me Offline
whyy?

I can't get enough

Name: Essa

Re: Tips for starting with a new therapist? - April 21st 2017, 02:21 AM

Hey Kate,
Switching therapist is not easy. Because you have known and shared things with the previous therapist for a long time and you have established a connection now you have to do it all over.

I have had 5 therapist in the last 6 years. This is what I do. I go in with an open mind, I actually sit as far away from the person I can and tell them when i get to know them I will sit closer. I go at my own paste, I tell them up front if there is stuff I want to focus on and the things I don't want to deal with. I always give the therapist 3 sessions to see if I like them or not.

I hope this has helped a little.
If you have any questions about switching therapist and what to expect please don't be afraid to PM/VM me an questions you want.

Your Friend,
Essa

I LOVE the RAIN because I am a MERMAID, who lives far from the SEA
|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

Send a message via AIM to I Believe In Me Send a message via Yahoo to I Believe In Me Send a message via Skype™ to I Believe In Me 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing and Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Tips for starting with a new therapist? - April 21st 2017, 03:21 AM

I change therapists nearly every year or half year because of many life circumstances, mostly nowadays because they're interns.
I'd say for the first meeting, bring in your set goals. It's easy to start off by just saying this is what I want from therapy. Next, walk in knowing what you want to talk about. It could be just all about your goals, or talk about your goals along with something else that might be bothering you currently.

And all the other colors...
are leaving this body and mind
behind.