TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Don't know how to help my friend. - May 31st 2017, 11:41 AM

Hi,

I have a best friend who suffers from mental health as well. Currently, she sees the adult mental health team but they are wanting to discharge her even though things are really tough for her mental health wise and she struggles with self harm as well as other mental health.

Her team wants to discharge her because they think her issues are being caused by behavioral difficulties rather than her mental health.

I really do want to try and help her but don't know how to as she lives very far from me.

From,
Meera

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Don't know how to help my friend. - June 1st 2017, 12:49 PM

It's lovely that you want to support your friend but I understand that it can be difficult when she lives far away from you!

I'm not too sure how mental health teams work, but she shouldn't be discharged if she is still struggling a lot. If she does get discharged, it would help her that she gets support or has a care plan in place so that she doesn't go without support. Perhaps you can remind her of these things?

While you may not be able to do much given that you live far away, you can still listen and talk to your friend. Be supportive with her attempts to seek help or move forward in life, and be there to listen when things get difficult. You can also let her know that you'd like to support her and ask if there is anything in particular that you can do or that she would like. If you chat online, you can help find distractions from self-harm by playing online games together, or send her funny/cute videos. If you have the time and are able to, you can also send her care packages of things she likes as a reminder of how much she means to you.

Most importantly, remember to look after yourself too! Make sure that you are getting your needs met and have supportive for yourself as well

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Re: Don't know how to help my friend. - June 7th 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
It's lovely that you want to support your friend but I understand that it can be difficult when she lives far away from you!

I'm not too sure how mental health teams work, but she shouldn't be discharged if she is still struggling a lot. If she does get discharged, it would help her that she gets support or has a care plan in place so that she doesn't go without support. Perhaps you can remind her of these things?

While you may not be able to do much given that you live far away, you can still listen and talk to your friend. Be supportive with her attempts to seek help or move forward in life, and be there to listen when things get difficult. You can also let her know that you'd like to support her and ask if there is anything in particular that you can do or that she would like. If you chat online, you can help find distractions from self-harm by playing online games together, or send her funny/cute videos. If you have the time and are able to, you can also send her care packages of things she likes as a reminder of how much she means to you.

Most importantly, remember to look after yourself too! Make sure that you are getting your needs met and have supportive for yourself as well

Thank you, yes we have been best friends since we were 6 years old. She has helped me when I was in a really bad place, so I really do want to help her. She is struggling a lot but her CPN and her mental health team think that she is selfish and that all her mental health problems are caused by behaviour problems. I will ask her if she has a care plan in place.

I really like your idea of sending her care packages- (her birthday is coming up so that will be a really nice idea - a scrap book full of best friends quotes and pictures of us).

Yes, I do need to also look after myself,

Thank you so much for you reply.

Xx

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Don't know how to help my friend. - June 8th 2017, 05:39 PM

Hi

Thanks for coming to us here! You sound like such a lovely and caring friend to have and I am glad you both have one another.

Is your friend being discharged to have no contact with any service? The CMHT might not feel their help is appropriate for your friend considering they believe her mental health problems are triggered by behavioural problems which is fair enough but I would hope they would refer her to another team who work with adults with behaviours problems to help her get the right and correct support. If this isn't happening, could you mention it to your friend and see if she can ask about it and look into? Its fair enough for her to be discharged if they can't offer the right support but I still think it's important to have support from a team who can help her.

We're here for you both. You can always point her in the direction of Teenhelp too, if you would like and she can talk to us about how she feels and seek help herself from here!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread