TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

ADHD is driving me nuts - August 7th 2017, 11:43 PM

Hey,
So my psych thinks I have an "attention disorder" but has put me on meds for ADHD and according to 2 therapists i'm showing classic symptoms of ADHD.
But the issue I'm having is I cannot focus. I take my meds, but they dont help. I'm perpetually jittering. I try to focus in class but it is not possible. My brain just zones out.
If i force myself to focus my brain turns off and I can't do jack. Its hard for me to hold conversations at time since I'm also thinking of few other things, and have to force myself to stay on track. I can't read long paragraphs unless its in bullet points, and this makes uni readings hard. Not to mention my constantly jittering is weird. I need to move my legs, like a drum beat or just shake it. And that isn't alway possible.
I have tried using a fidget cube it doesnt help. I bombard myself with stimulation to try and focus (music plus other things at once) and while it helps to some extent I'm not able to be effective.
I really have no clue what to do anymore. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can function like a human being? I can't pace or anything that helps in class and its driving me nuts. i dont know how to work any more.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: ADHD is driving me nuts - August 9th 2017, 08:21 AM

Thank you for writing. I'm not a doctor or expert. From what I know of ADD/ADHD it sounds like those are classic symptoms.

It was described to me as there's always stimulation from the outside world coming into through the eyes and ears, and usually the brain is supposed to filter out what's irrelevant, but somehow that filer isn't working and all the stimulation gets through and the rest of the brain is constantly tying to process it, instead of ignoring it, and it's too much. The person is easily distracted by just about anything.

The patient looks hyper, but actually in the brain, the problem is the filter part isn't doing it's job, it's gone dormant, and that filter part needs stimulating to make it work. So the doctors discovered that stimulants help these patients, and the theory is the stimulant stimulates that part of the brain that needs to wake up and start working.

And that's why doctors give stimulants to people who are hyper. Lay people think that's absurd, to give a stimulant to someone who's already hyper. Except they are not hyper, they just look that way. Actually the filter part of their brain isn't doing it's job.

Anyway, that's the canned speach about that part.

There are a few different meds they can try. I took Adderall and it worked fine for about 5 years. Then my hair and teeth started to fall out, and we had to switch to something else, which worked just as well, perhaps even better. The only thing was this new med cost like$600, whereas the Adderall cost like 1/10th of that. (I did go to a periodontist and she saved my teeth with expensive surgery. It's OK as long as you have your teeth and especially gums checked periodically by a dentist or periodontist. They will probe for the pockets that can develop that means your med it causing problems and it's time to switch before you loose your teeth. Oh and my hair stays in now. It used to clog the shower drain every time I took a shower.)

Anyway, I don't know how well mind focusing exercises work with ADHD people. It's pretty much what mindfulness meditation is about. Practice focusing your mind on the present moment, when a thought enters your head, let it go and return your focus to the present moment, when you've noticed your mind has wandered, bring it back and focus on the present moment. You an try this for one minute to begin with. You an also focus on your breathing. You can purposely slow down your breathing, which can trick your brain into thinking you are calm. Brain thinks, "I'm breathing slowly, I must be calm. I'll be calm.")

Yoga, Qi-Gong, Tai Chi, are also mindfulness motion exercises.

These mind exercises don't instantly cure anyone. But like strengthening a muscle, if you keep it up for several weeks, you may start to notice a difference.

Not everyone gets the hang of this "the art of doing nothing".

The idea is also to become more aware of your thoughts, and just let your thoughts be and just observe them and notice them, and let them go and return your focus to the present moment.

There's an app called Headspace which has short animated videos at the beginning of the free lessons #3, 5, 7, 9. They give a good overview of the concepts.

Basically one uses their brain, to change their brain.

However I don't know if this works with ADHD people, as they might not have the ability to focus long enough to actually effect a change in their brain. But if you can manage it, that's a good mind exercise to try.

A doctor might be able to explain it better.

Oh, one possible way of approaching the jitteryness is instead of fighting it and trying to make it stop, you can try the opposite, which is to mindfully become aware of it, and then just let it be and observe it, and notice it, and try to remain focused on it, and when your mind wanders off to something else, bring it back and focus on the present moment again.

Sorry I don't know of any other tricks! (I'm a one trick pony. Actually I have two tricks: medication, and meditation. Some day I hope to attain a third trick.)

Best wishes!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread