TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Is social media affecting my mental health? - November 25th 2017, 02:42 AM

This is kinda a post to vent and ask for advice? I feel like social media is affecting me and not in a positive way ya know. I've wanted to delete it but i'm 'addicted.' I just feel like I'm competing with everyone else and it makes me feel so shitty. I'm constantly checking it and feeling anxious. Please leave advice and if you experienced this before <-- or even have quit social media before and how it went?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is social media affecting my mental health? - November 25th 2017, 04:00 AM

I know there have been some studies done that show that it can have an impact on mental health. I think a lot of it has to do with getting glimpses of people's lives but really only getting glimpses of the good which leads people to feel like they aren't living up to their peers and all that.

If you want to take a break from Social Media than you should. I think that some people benefit from it. If there are certain people that you tend to compare yourself too more often than not, you could also unfollow them so that their stories don't pop up in your feed (at least that's an option on facebook).

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mrabused Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is social media affecting my mental health? - November 25th 2017, 06:45 AM

you could just take a break from social media, sometimes things get a little too overwhelming. you could find something else that interests you, dont really know what you're into but maybe sports, music, or you could just spend time with friends and family who keep you away from boredom

We all have issues.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is social media affecting my mental health? - November 25th 2017, 05:56 PM

Social media can definitely be addicting and affect your mental health. Beyond what Jenna mentioned, you can also end up spending more time on social media than doing other activities. Some of those might be self care, hobbies, or exercising. That's from personal experience at least.

I think you should try taking a break from social media before deleting all of your accounts. I know I've regretted just outright deleting in the past. For Facebook you can temporarily deactivate your account. If you do want to try taking a break, then I'd recommend removing any apps on your devices and changing your passwords to something that would be near impossible to remember offhand with them written down on paper somewhere so you can still access them later on. It can be tempting when you can still easily access them.

I agree with Jenna on unfollowing people on things like Facebook since you find yourself comparing your life to theirs. If it's someone you don't want to completely unfriend (I know it can be tricky with family or certain friends), then you can hide their posts from your news feed.

I'm absolutely not assuming that you do this, but I want to put it out there. I know some people will follow unhealthy blogs, such as on tumblr, or be a member on very unhealthy forums. If you use any social media that is negative like this then I really urge you to abandon or delete those accounts.

I hope this was helpful.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread