TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Svetlana Volkova

Exclamation Mental Disorder? - April 23rd 2018, 01:46 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm not sure how to state this, never spoken about this topic before. I'm afraid to seek professional help so I'd like opinions (though I know not factual and I'd need a real diagnosis). I think I may have some sort of mental disorder or issue. This is going to be hard to explain, so please bare with me. I think I lack sympathy. I'm very aware of my own desires and feelings but with other people, I generally don't understand or just don't simply care. Another issue I'm concerned of are certain thoughts of arrogance. That my work is somehiw better than everyone else's. So much so that when another person gets a compliment I get FURIOUS. I end up hating the people giving and recieving compliments, because I feel as though what I've done deserves the recognition. I also lie... a LOT. This is to get me out of certain situations or just because I want to. I also am very antosocial, not have any 'real' friends. Does this sound remotely like any disorder or mental illness?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 24th 2018, 04:35 AM

It’s really fucking annoying when people don’t respond to my posts that I took time to
Make.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 24th 2018, 01:50 PM

Hey there Meredith,

I first wanted to say I'm sorry no one responded to your thread. It is hard to feel worried and reach out for help and not have anyone answer for a while.
You mentioned that you haven't gotten professional help and that you usually don't ralk about this issue much. I hope you know you can talk here and can feel safe to do so. I also appreciate that you reached out even though it was out of your comfort zone.

While I cannot speak for others, I can speak for myself that I haven't been as active as i would have liked. I'm sure others can relate. Sometimes life circumstances takes over. It doesn't mean we don't care. I understand how it can come across that way.

What you describe can be multiple disorders and as you said, we cannot diagnose. I think a big part of determining a diagnosis is what factors are influencing your behaviors.

In general we have moved away from the limitations of the medical model and shifted our paradigm to the biopsychosocial model. This means professionals are taught to look at the whole person and see what has been happening rather than a checklist of symptoms and riding it off as a chemical imbalance.

I remember when I was diagnosed with BPD, it felt like a death sentence. A month later I was diagnosed as chronic ptsd. VERY similar symptoms and o eflapping symptoms. Even professionals don't know for certain if I have one, the other, both or neither. My nurse practitioner said I can think of all my diagnosis as falling under ptsd because for me that's how it is. Two people can have anxiety or depression or BPD for different reasons and causes. Trauma and high stress play a role in developing a mental illness but that a not the only thing. It is not na ture vs nurture bUT rat her nature x nurture (both bUT dif ferret ratios for every person aND differret profiles. Just keep that in mind. Ive seen your previous threads and it does sound like you've had quite some adverse experiences and the stress from it can manifest differently in different people. Not everyone will have classic ptsd symptoms but it can be the disorder that was developed is interconnected with trauma. Just want to point that out.

Now is it possible that you had a disorder before the trauma? Sure. Is it possible someone has co-morbid of ptsd and something else? it happens all the time.
This is where we peers step back and let the professionals decide. You are allowed to disagree with your diagnosis though and ask for a second opinion from a different psychiatrists. You are in the driber'a seat of your health, including mental health!

I say for now, maybe focus on one or two issues rather than the label. For instance I'm not diagnosed with an eating disorder but disordered eating is still a big issue in my life. Try to find ways to cope with the different issues and the way it affects you. I hope that makes sense. Hopefully in time, when you feel it is right for you, you can pursue professional support. I hope this helps a little. Take good care

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 25th 2018, 04:03 AM

Well I'm asking if it sounds like any disorder because I know it won't be a proper diagnosis, but if I end up having something serious it might affect my future career.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 25th 2018, 02:27 PM

When you do get a diagnosis, you will need to figure out how to manage it. The best way to do that is to reach out to your mental health service, primary care doctors, friends, family. The more support you get and the more you learn how to cope/manage, the better your life will be. You will still be able to go out and get a job and live life as usual if you do those things.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 26th 2018, 01:23 AM

I want to be in forensics, doubt law enforcement would think I’m “safe.” I’m just looking for people to tell me what symptoms I have relate to. Just so I get an idea, thought might be wrong.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 26th 2018, 06:26 AM

Hey there Meredith,

It really isnt as objective and rigid as one might wish for. But like J had said, managing it is key. Places of employment are generally not allowed to discriminate (i said generally because this isnt every country) but if the illness interferes with ability to work there may have to be a leave of absence or another action will be taken, hopefully discussed with the employee present and participating and with transparency.

Now, i cant say discrimination doesnt happen. I know gor a fact that it does. It is also your choice to disclose it. There are pros and cons to both.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 26th 2018, 08:28 PM

I shouldn't of even posted because none of this is helping.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 26th 2018, 10:36 PM

Hey,

No one here is a professional there for we cannot give you a diagnoses. I know you are asking us to give you an idea of what it could be. But from what you have explained it can be different thing. I'm only speaking for myself but I don't like listing what I think your symptoms can be. I know it's frustrating that you aren't getting the answer you want. If you are really worried get an appointment with a psychiatrist and tell them your symptoms and they will tell you what they think.

Also I will say this I wouldn't focus on a label. I would focus on treatment and getting better. Labels for your disorders can be nice so you know what you have, but other times it isn't.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 27th 2018, 03:20 AM

I am NOT going to some ПОДОНОК fucking psychiatrist to judge me and try to prescribe me medication to get cash off of me, or prescribe me with something that prevent me from getting the job I want. That’s why I am HERE, not there!!!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 27th 2018, 04:16 AM

First of all I'm pretty sure before law and enforcement places hire you I am they do a Psych evaluation. If you were on medication I don't think they wouldn't hire you. They more than likely won't hire you if you show signs of a mental disorder and aren't seeking treatment for it. Just something you should think about.

Also Psychiatrist do not judge you, they are their to help you and not judge you. They also only prescribe meds when they think it is necessary they don't do it just to get money out of you. Plus if you don't want to go with meds and you tell them that they will work with you to find a way to help you without them.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Last edited by Oh, Bother; April 27th 2018 at 09:53 AM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: Mental Disorder? - April 27th 2018, 01:15 PM

I am sorry you are not finding this helpful. Can you please tell us what is frustrsting you about the answers youre getting?

Professionals can be mediocre, unprofessional, retraumatizing or they can be amazing life-changing or even they can be not terrible but not helpful either. Professionals can be any of these. That's because they're indivisuals with different personalities and the recipient of the service are also all different. Someone would tell me that finding a therapist [insert any other service provider] is like trying on a shoe. You may have your size and your style in mind but sometimes it is also about trying it on and walking around and seeing how it feels. Not every show will be a fit for everyone but doesn't mean it is a bad shoe or a bad foot.

Treatment doesn't mean medication and that's it. There are many treatment options such as the different kinds of psychotherapy, support groups, self management like exercise and self-expression work and yes, some people also take medication. It is a big decision and not everyone wants that but you will not be forced medication unless you are posing a direct threat to yourself or others.

Jobs are not allowed to ask if you have a disability unless they have specific reasons to such as if the job directly relates to needing certain abilities. For example a person with a chronic health condition on their back might not be hired to lift heavy boxes as that's a safety precaution.

You said you want to do forensics. Do you think your symptoms will interfere with the work you are doing? If nobody notices then no one you don't tell has to know. It may be helpful to plan ahead though so they dont find out once you are triggered and they get surprised.
If you have a flare up of symptoms at the interview (or if you get hired, and something triggers you on the job) do you think you will be able to manage it or do you think you will need certain accommodations while still doing the work? These are some questions to think about.

Closed Thread