TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Quitting IOP? - September 15th 2018, 03:33 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Triggering: ED, self-harm, suicide

I am currently in an IOP (intensive outpatient program) for my eating disorder. However, in the last several weeks, my Bipolar Disorder has gone out of whack. I was depressed, then manic due to a medication change, and now I am depressed again, worse than before. I am dealing with uncomfortable intrusive thoughts and urges that make it hard to get through the day. My psychiatrist is aware of my situation and we are making medication changes; however, as some of you may know, improvement in that area takes time.

Currently I am able to commit to safety (over three months without self harm now!), so I don't need to be hospitalized, but it's still hard to get by each day. As a result, my feelings about IOP are complicated. On the one hand, it's become a bit of a stressor; every time I arrive there I want nothing but to go home. Usually it turns out okay, and I sometimes still get stuff out of it, but it's still stressful to get myself there and to try and be present for the groups. For this reason, I am tempted to quit. However, I have to admit being in IOP gives me some extra structure, which is something I desperately need right now. I am also off my meal plan; my depression has got me emotionally eating almost every day because I can't seem to find comfort anywhere else but food. This is bad because when I eventually DO feel better (if I keep this up) I'll want to restrict again.

So, I don't know what to do. I both love and hate IOP and I don't know what's best for my mental health right now. I plan to speak to my therapist about this on Tuesday but I'd love some advice in the mean time. Thanks.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation

Last edited by arepo; September 15th 2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Moving to Mental Health as it fits better there. :)
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Quitting IOP? - September 17th 2018, 02:41 PM

Things you have to do throughout the day can be really difficult when you're struggling. You mentioned getting structure and help with your meal plan out of IOP and that is a good thing. Do you think the structure and meal plan support outweighs the struggling to get there and stay present with the groups?

It can be very challenging to do even things that are helpful to you but if you're getting support out of it, maybe you could consider hanging onto it for a little while longer and then see what happens.

You mentioned talking to your therapist about this which is a good idea. Do you think it would help to talk to anyone else in your life about it? They might have their own perspective or thoughts to offer for you to think about.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread