TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 06:41 PM

[SIZE="a"]Hey, everyone!

I'm needing help with how to proceed with my current therapist. I found Michelle through Give an Hour. This organization provides free counseling to those who have family members in the military, or those who have served.

Anyways, I've only had one session with her and we agreed on having a session every other week. When I contact her, she doesn't respond to my text messages or emails. She also has been late calling me for our second session, and has no showed our latest session. I know that she reads my iMessages because she has read receipts turned on, which means I'm able to see when she reads my messages.

My question is what do I do? I've tried calling, but I got no answer. When I called the day before Thanksgiving, I left her a voicemail, but she didn't even listen to it. In fact, she didn't even remember my nunber. I had to tell her who I was.

do I look for another therapist? Any advice would be great.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: No Name

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 06:43 PM

I suggest you look for another Therapist.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 06:51 PM

I would leave a voicemail explaining your situation and why you want to seek another therapist and move on. Having a therapist you can trust and feel comfortable with is huge.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 06:54 PM

[SIZE="a"]How do I go about ending things with Michelle? Do i send her a text, email, or, do I leave her a voicemail?[/size]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 07:02 PM

[SIZE="a"]Sorry for posting the same reply twice, I'm using assistive technology, and didn't see the checkbox to post anonymously.[/size]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 1st 2018, 07:23 PM

No problem at all. I always say using your voice over a text is the better method.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 2nd 2018, 02:32 PM

Did the therapist have any rules about contact outside of sessions? Some therapists may not want contact with clients outside of therapy unless it's about cancelling/changing appointments.

That said, it is concerning that she was late and didn't show up to your sessions. Sometimes lateness happens, but not showing up isn't very professional at all.

You have every right to have therapy so it makes sense you would consider ending things with this therapist and look for another one. You could consider calling her or leaving a voicemail and ask that she contacts you soon to discuss what's happening with the sessions. If she doesn't get back to you, then you could just leave an email and mention that you are unhappy with the service she provided and won't be continuing sessions with her. Ideally, there should be an opportunity for her to apologise and for you both to discuss whether you want to continue with sessions or not, but that may be difficult if she doesn't respond to your calls and emails.

Hope you can get things sorted

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 2nd 2018, 11:13 PM

[SIZE="a"]She said that if I had any questions in between sessions, that I can contact her. I contacted her Tuesday to see what time I would be meeting her, and got no response. She told me the day before thanksgiving that she would email me the time of our next session, but she never did. On the 18 November, we were supposed to be meeting but she was 20 minutes late, and I did not get the FaceTime video call on my phone.[/size]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 4th 2018, 12:18 AM

I would look for a new therapist personally. I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems weird that she's refusing to respond to you. If she has a problem with your method of communication, well, she's a bloody therapist, she could very easily respond to you and address a way of communication that's more effective for her or whatever. The fact she's late, not showing up, and clearly reading your messages but not answering seems weird.

You asked how to end things with her. How does emailing her sound to you? You can simply write to let her know that you've made a number of efforts to contact her to schedule an appointment for a few weeks now but that she doesn't seem interested in working with you so you'll be looking for a new therapist because you don't want to put the work on hold. If she wants to email you back with an explanation, she can (e.g. maybe her mom died), but she should've sent an email to her clients explaining the family emergency taking her away from her work.

Then just look for a new therapist who will communicate better...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 4th 2018, 06:06 PM

[SIZE="a"]I justly left her a clvoicemail..... now we wait.[/size]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Advice on how to proceed with therapist - December 4th 2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH Anonymous View Post
[SIZE="a"]I justly left her a clvoicemail..... now we wait.[/size]