TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: No Name

Mental Health Day - December 4th 2018, 01:28 AM

Does anyone here either it be with school or work take a mental health day if you are not feeling up to par and just stay at home and just stay in bed under the covers? I have done that in the past. I imagine it is a lot harder for those who have jobs and not just missing a day of school like me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Mental Health Day - December 4th 2018, 08:32 PM

When I was at school, I did have one or two days off to recover from a panic attack as I felt very washed out and out of it. My parents didn't like me taking time off so I did do school work at home.

If the school is aware of mental health issues and you are in treatment, I would say it's okay to take a day off and catch up with the work. I wouldn't want it to become a regular habit though as tempting as it may be

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mental Health Day - December 4th 2018, 08:40 PM

I never took days off from school for mental health. I have for work, but there's consequence for that such as not getting paid and having extra work piled up on you or that work you didn't do being piled up on co-workers.

While mental health days are great, they should be used very sporadically. The way I see it, for every day you go to school or work in one year, only use 5% of those days to miss school or work.

For example, you're in school 180 days (United States) of the year. So you should miss no more than nine days a year, which totals up to one per month. I work about 100 days a year, so I try not to miss more than five days of work unless I really need to.

Of course vacations don't count. They are earnt days off. Such as 4th of July, various state-wide or federal holidays, Christmas, etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Mental Health Day - December 4th 2018, 09:21 PM

My school is aware of my issues and situation of the past. For example last night I had a Night Terror which I lost sleep because once I woke I was soaked in sweat and had to take a shower in the middle of the night and had to calm down before I was able to return to sleep. I lost a lot of sleep last evening. I was originally going to go in late, but than Mom and I decided for me to not go in at all. Mom call the school office to get my work collected by my teachers and sent home with a friend which I am doing now. This is also the first day of the school year that I have done this. I also get decent grades.

I can understand it is much harder to do this with work and not getting paid.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mental Health Day - December 5th 2018, 12:15 AM

I'm really happy to hear that! And you must be able to access the lessons via email or through a portal with the school too. So that's definitely a privlege I didn't have when I was in school. Your teachers sound very understanding and it's great you have a friend who's willing to do that for you.

I'm not against mental health days, but the consequence of caring for yourself can only serve to make everything worse. Unfortunately.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Mental Health Day - December 5th 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminescence. View Post
I'm really happy to hear that! And you must be able to access the lessons via email or through a portal with the school too. So that's definitely a privlege I didn't have when I was in school. Your teachers sound very understanding and it's great you have a friend who's willing to do that for you.

I'm not against mental health days, but the consequence of caring for yourself can only serve to make everything worse. Unfortunately.
Yes, the homework can be accessed on the Schools link page. The classwork has to be brought home or picked up at the school office by a certain time at the end of the day and must be requested to the teachers by a certain time for them to get it together. My mom had to do all that today.

Closed Thread