TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fandomqueen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Therapist Identity - December 5th 2018, 03:32 AM

I have recently started going to my college's psychological counseling center in an attempt to get some help finding my identity, being comfortable with my life and who I am, and trying to get better at socializing.

So I'm south Asian, and my culture is a part of my identity. Sometimes I have trouble finding how to make that work. Most of my close friends (basically all of them) have also been South Asian, and it's not really due to conscious choice.

I'm not sure, but I feel like it may be more helpful to have a therapist who is also South Asian who may be able to relate to my problems better, but I don't even think my school has a South Asian therapist. I did just start attending therapy though, so I'm going to try and make it work even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Therapist Identity - December 5th 2018, 11:39 AM

It is good to hear that you recently started going to counseling and it's understandable that you think having a therapist who is South Asian might be more helpful.

Maybe it would help if you stayed with your current therapist for a while so you can get used to what the therapy process is like. Seeing that process and becoming accustomed to talking about your experiences might help. And, if you decide to stick with this therapist for a little while they can serve as a valuable support.

Something to think about is that therapists are trained regarding the different cultures in the clientele they serve and they are generally good about that. I just changed my education but I was going to go into this field and they did start that training early on.

A therapist who is South Asian might have been in your shoes a bit more and might have a greater understanding due to their experiences, but a good therapist will have empathy and will be able to try to understand, even if they haven't been in your shoes.

I hope your therapy gets off to a good start!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread