TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

panick attacks, anxiety, and other stuff - October 3rd 2009, 11:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i seem to be having a panick attack at least 3 times sometimes 5 times a week. before i would have one a week. my doctor has diagnosed me with aniextiy dissorder, low self esteem, depression(my doctor didnt have to tell me i had depression i sorta guessed from how he was talking the high score on the depression test and he talked about the anti depressents), i have'nt told my doctor i cut or anything like that, all he knows is that i pick my scabs, or any little pimple that i find i pick that too. i got reffered to counselling it didnt help much. but yesterday at work my tutor came to see me and got me to fill out a 'student pack' for my college course, and one of the questions was have you been diagnosed with any mental health problem such as depression, self harm ect ? i put as my answer no, which i no is not the right answer but i didnt feel like telling them that i do have depression, aniexty dissorder, panick attacks, and self harm. does my college have a right to know this stuff or is this something i have to tell them or do i have a right in not telling them this stuff ? sorry if this in the wrong place but this is the best placce i could think of putting it in, im just confussed as to wether or not i can choose what i do and dont tell my tutors at college about my personal information, does my college have a right to know? do i have to tell my college this stuff or do i have right to not tell them ? sorry it is so long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: panick attacks, anxiety, and other stuff - October 4th 2009, 10:33 AM

I believe that your college doesn't have to know about mental health problems (unless you're at risk to yourself or someone else), but I guess they want to know as much about you as possible so that they know the right kind of support that you need.
I had the option of telling my college, and I did so that they were aware of what I may struggle with. They arranged for me to have a support worker if I ever needed them.

Sometimes it's a good idea, just so you could have that extra support, and they would be aware of what you may struggle with. But it is totally up to you if you want them to know.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: panick attacks, anxiety, and other stuff - October 4th 2009, 11:15 AM

i know i am behind with college work and stuff like that, but they just put that down to my ADHD and dyscalculia(i have as perges aswell but i havent told my college this), i don't really want my college knowing the ins and outs of my problems.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: panick attacks, anxiety, and other stuff - October 4th 2009, 02:02 PM

i also suffer with anxiety problems and panic attacks. i chose to tell my college when i got put onto my tablets, this is because i know that when i have a panic attack then i will just need to literaly stay at home and sleep and also i felt they needed to know about my tablets incase i ever looked un well or anything and i'm glad i did because they completly understand and they realise why sometimes my work is late and why i sometimes have days off.

ofcourse it's your right weather or not to tell them, it's up to you, personal preference. however if you do tell them i'm sure they will be very understanding but na i'm pretty sure it's up to you if you wanna tell them or not

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ilovelife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: panick attacks, anxiety, and other stuff - October 17th 2009, 08:13 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about how you are feeling right now - but remember change is always possiable!
With college they don't need to know about mental illnesses however it could be an advantage to you as they have an understanding your own personal needs and be considerate to how you may be feeling. I would not feel worried as 1/4 people in the uk experience some sort of mental illness in their lives.
Also can I add that I think you are doing exceptionally well to go to college and get professional help. It takes a lot of courage and you should be proud that you making positive steps forward in your life

Closed Thread