TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hidmemory Offline
Average Joe

Name: Hid

Question Types of psychologists - October 8th 2009, 12:07 AM

What type of psychologist should I go to? I need one to talk about what's going on at home. My mentor thinks I need one to help me understand and reason why my dad does what he does at home to help prevent me from acting like him when I get out and start my own life.

I think it is a load of bull crap, and that I don't need to see one, but my mentor even got the school guidance counselor involved.

My parents wanted my family doctor to send me to one rather then go through her, and he is going to ask me what type of psychologist I need, when I do not know!

I gots...

Huggles for yuz!!!
  Send a message via MSN to hidmemory  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Types of psychologists - October 8th 2009, 02:21 AM

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servic...ounselors.aspx
Here's a helpful link that will help you understand the different types of counselors. There really aren't as many as you'd think there would be. Unless you have an addiction you need to deal with, or would like to be prescribed a medication for your mental health, you'll just be going to a regular old counselor(psychotherapist).

You may think you don't need one, but you really ought to give it a try. Therapy isn't a commitment, so if you don't like your therapist you don't have to go back. Counseling can be such a huge help. I know a lot of people like to think they can handle their problems by themself, but one really may need someone who will listen and give good advice.

In middle school I had some very verbally abusive friends. They made my life miserable, and I couldn't understand how to fix the situation. My counselor made it clear to me that I needed to make some new friends, and helped me feel confident in myself to do it. I felt so much better after just a few visits with her. I know your situation if probably much more complicated than this, and that's what psychology majors study for. They understand better than most how the human mind works, and what the best ways to deal are.

Good luck. I hope you find a great counselor! If you'd like to know what a session is like or any further details, gimme a pm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Types of psychologists - October 8th 2009, 09:28 AM

From experience, counseling can be an immensely helpful experience. I had to go to sessions during my undergrad work as part of a class, and it was a great help. If you want to get something from it, though, you do need to buy into it. I will say that up front.

At least in Illinois (I think most states are similar), there are 2 kinds of licensure for a counselor (which is, IMO, a more accurate term to describe what you are looking for). One is an LPC, or Licensed Professional Counselor, and the other is an LCPC, or a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor. The difference between these two, on the most basic level, is that LCPC's tend to have more experience and are qualified to make a diagnosis of possible disorders, which LPC's are not allowed to do.

It sounds to me like a situation that an LPC would be fit for. It doesn't sound like there is a need for diagnosis, in my opinion. The main thing, when you are looking at counselors, is to make sure they are licensed. There is an emerging movement of "life coaches" that are essentially counselors without the training or licensure of counselors, and I would steer clear of them.

Most of the "types" listed on the website that thesmallcheese posted are different areas of focus, such as marital or substance abuse counseling. It does list psychiatrists, though, who are actually medical doctors if we want to get technical, and they are able to prescribe medications. The description of "psychologist" on the website seems to fit with what an LCPC is here in Illinois.

So, to sum it all up, I would say to look for a Licensed Professional Counselor initially. If there is a need beyond what they can provide, they will refer you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hidmemory Offline
Average Joe

Name: Hid

Re: Types of psychologists - October 8th 2009, 08:31 PM

Thank you! I talked to my guidance counselor today and she said I should go to a normal counselor.

Since I had a doctors appointment today anyway, I went to see him and he referred me to someone, so I have everything taken care of now =)

Thanks again!

I gots...

Huggles for yuz!!!
  Send a message via MSN to hidmemory  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Types of psychologists - October 9th 2009, 01:59 AM

Since the problem seems to be taken care of now and the OP and seems satifised with the replies given, I'm going to close this now. OP: If you want this reopening, please PM me or feel free to make a new thread. Thanks.

Closed Thread