TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
egg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

kinda unimportant... - October 18th 2009, 10:07 PM

ok, well this isnt something that used to bother me that much, but now its starting to get on my nerves.

basically, i think its shyness, but im not sure how to overcome it.
when i talk to teachers and people im not particulary close to, like not my friends, just people i know, my voice goes really soft and quiet and high. i know it sound stupid, but i just cant talk properly. it almost hurts to talk. teachers tell me to speak up, but i physically cant. i try to, but i just cant get my voice loud. same applies when i talk to anyone older than me. basically i can only tlk normally with my friends and family. its annoying and alot of people laugh at me, accuse me of being a teachers pet ( i can assure you im not )

also, when i contribute in class, i find my heart racing and sometimes im even shaking. i can feel myself going all red. i have had anxiety for half a year this year- but this has been something that ive put up with all my life.

do you think there is anyway to stop this. or is it something i will just have to keep putting up with

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: kinda unimportant... - October 19th 2009, 03:55 PM

Hey there. I've moved this into our lovely mental health forum, as I think you'll get more answers here. Drop me a message if there are any problems with this!

Mods, feel free to move back if you need to.

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: kinda unimportant... - October 20th 2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg View Post
...when i talk to teachers and people im not particulary close to...my voice goes really soft and quiet and high. i know it sound stupid, but i just cant talk properly.
Don't worry too much about it. You are simply not the kind of person who is meant to "wow" us with a loud and powerful voice. There's nothing wrong with your voice. I believe you just have a more respectful and kinder tone of voice then most people, hence the quiet voice. Mentality-wise, I think it's OK to have a quiet voice.

Quote:
...it almost hurts to talk. teachers tell me to speak up, but i physically cant.
The only problem in your respectful voice is what you said - it's not loud and demanding like some rude drunk man. Maybe you might want to join a singing or speech-giving club, to help. Otherwise, be proud that you are polite!

Quote:
its annoying and a lot of people laugh at me, accuse me of being a teachers pet...
People are just evil and selfish. They laugh at you as a group, to make a group. Then, they have a common interest - making fun of you. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is ignore them and hopefully your real friends can defend for you.

In the end, just be yourself and have no shame. I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread