TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

i think i need to see a psychologist - November 22nd 2009, 12:48 PM

if i went to my doctor and asked to be reffered to a psychologist will she do it??
lately my mind has gotten a lot stranger, ok i have anxiety problems, anger problems and depression but now i'm starting to feel out of control. i don't know how to explain it properly, so would the doctor still refer me even if i have not got a proper explanation as to why i need to go???
and when i see a psychologist how would it be different to seeing a counsellor???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 22nd 2009, 03:53 PM

Hey =]

I'm totally aware of the procedure, but I think the fact that you are asking for help is a good sign to your doctor - so I don't see why you shouldn't get referred.

A psychologist - I believe - helps more in the way of psychological matters, whereas a Councillor would just talk you through your pent up emotions.

Like I said, I'm not a professional so I can't tell you for certain. You could use Google and try and find the difference between the two =]

All the best, Take Care.
Claire x

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 22nd 2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackerJackWoop View Post
Hey =]

I'm totally aware of the procedure, but I think the fact that you are asking for help is a good sign to your doctor - so I don't see why you shouldn't get referred.

A psychologist - I believe - helps more in the way of psychological matters, whereas a Councillor would just talk you through your pent up emotions.

Like I said, I'm not a professional so I can't tell you for certain. You could use Google and try and find the difference between the two =]

All the best, Take Care.
Claire x
thanks ever so much.
i was worried that if i asked for extra help the doctor wouldn't believe i'm mental and stable because i'm asking for help. but i don't think this is the case. did you speak to a psychologist? if so what was it like?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 22nd 2009, 05:08 PM

Hey there,

I think that it's a really wonderful thing that you're wanting to get some help for what you're dealing with at the moment - that is such a positive thing to do!

I think that going to your doctor and discussing your issues would be the best first step towards trying to get the help that you need. The doctor may refer you to a psychologist, a counsellor or another psychiatric professional. I'm not sure what country you are in, but if you're in the UK then you may be referred to CAMHS who will then decide what sort of professional that you talk to.
I think it'd be best simply to go to your general practitioner first and tell them that you're struggling and that you believe you have anger/depression/anxiety problems.
It can be very difficult describing issues of this nature to your doctor and they will understand that, perhaps you could just tell them what you have told us, or write down any 'symptoms' that you feel.

[This website] should help you to understand the difference between a psychologist and a counsellor.

Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alex xox Offline
Not a n00b

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 22nd 2009, 08:07 PM

generaly if you go and see you doctor they will refer you but it can take up to a year depending on your situation (ie wether your likely to SH or commit suicide) I've been through it a few times and in the UK they don't generally ask to many questions they leave it the assessors at the CAMHS team but that is in the UK so it could be different wherever you are

good luck though Alex x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 23rd 2009, 11:58 AM

thanks for the advise and encouragement everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleroz View Post
generaly if you go and see you doctor they will refer you but it can take up to a year depending on your situation (ie wether your likely to SH or commit suicide) I've been through it a few times and in the UK they don't generally ask to many questions they leave it the assessors at the CAMHS team but that is in the UK so it could be different wherever you are

good luck though Alex x
ahh thats understandable, i live in england.
basicaly my problems range from...
  • anxiety
  • depression
  • anger issues
  • self harm, suicidal attempts and thoughts occasionaly
  • thoughts and intentions of hurting others (pysically or mentally)
  • not being able to go outside anymore,or finding it very hard.
  • getting depressed and angry everytime i see someone better looking than me (weird i know!)
  • not bothering with my appearance anymore
  • sleeping constantly even when i'm not tired.
  • not being able to control my thoughts or actions anymore.
so yh it's a long list, so do you think if i tried to explain these, then my waiting time wouldn't be so long?? and do you think i need to see a psychologist?? because a part of me believes i'm over reacting
thanks again

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alex xox Offline
Not a n00b

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 23rd 2009, 05:54 PM

obviously I can't say yes you need need to see a psychologist but if you think you need it then give it ago and I wouldn't be surprised if the waiting time was less -I had a lot of the same symptoms last time and i waited about 1 month
pm me if you want to know any more
Alex

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: i think i need to see a psychologist - November 23rd 2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleroz View Post
obviously I can't say yes you need need to see a psychologist but if you think you need it then give it ago and I wouldn't be surprised if the waiting time was less -I had a lot of the same symptoms last time and i waited about 1 month
pm me if you want to know any more
Alex
i went to see the doctor and good news! he gave me a number to a walk in centre, but i'm gonna have to make an appointment,it shouldnt be too long to wait but don't know when i'll be able to go. he's also doubled my dosage of citalopram tablets.thanks for your advise. could you mabye pm me to tell me what happened when your psychologist saw you? where they supportive etc? thanks for everyones support

Closed Thread