TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

O.C.D. ? - December 22nd 2009, 05:27 PM

i dont know if i do or not but i am obessed with doors, top cuboards, bin lids, wardrobe door being left open, cuboards. if theres a door open it annoys me and i have to close it or it bugs me. its the same with bin lids, top cuboards, cuboards, wardrobe doors it was only the other day my friend was round mine and she left the bin lid on my bin open and i said to her do you ever shut things like doors and stuff afterwards my friend was like no at this point i got up and shut the bin lid my friend gave me strange look asked what you do that for i told her i hate things being open that should be shut. and my friend was like O.C.D. much. but since then ive been more aware im doing this. problem is if i don't shut these things it bugs me and reallly does irritate me so much that i can't focus on anything until i know all the doors, bin lids and cuboards and top cuboards and wardrobe doors are shut properly, from room to room it varies but whatever room im in i have to have things shut properly. is this O.C.D. or is just one of my pet hates ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xander Offline
Average Joe

Name: xander

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 22nd 2009, 07:56 PM

i have weird things like that if i look at some words, im annoyed if the letters dont group into 4s or are odd, or like a sign saying " watch out " i'd in my mind move it to " watc hout" so they r in groups of 4, i like equal things too... is that weird?

XANDER

am i in love? or am i being used?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 22nd 2009, 07:57 PM

Hey,
It's certainly possible you have OCD, but you should see a mental health professional who has experience in anxiety disorders for a proper evaluation and diagnosis. If the symptoms you are describing are significantly interfering with your life, it's worth it to get evaluated. Medication and therapy improves many OCD sufferers symptoms, and early intervention can go a long way.
Best wishes!
Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 23rd 2009, 09:36 AM

i have already been diagnosed with depression (my doctor did not need to say i had depression i knew i did when he said the word anti depressants and you scored highley on the test a score of 8 is high ) and then he diagnosed me with anixety, low self esteem. and another condition that i can't remember the name of (a form of self harm but it had a certain name).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 23rd 2009, 09:57 AM

We can't diagnose you, but it sounds like O.C.D. However, it doesn't sound like its too bad a case. Just think to yourself...What would you sacrifice to be able to close a bin lid or door that was bugging you? By asking yourself this and answering yourself honestly, you'll discover some more about yourself and how bad you are. If you feel it is seriously affecting your life, then go to a doctor. But I had a friend like this, I just laughed at him when he used to follow me about the house closing things after me. He never seemed to make a big deal out of it.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 23rd 2009, 10:17 AM

Hi Lydia,

Unfortunately we can't diagnose you with anything here as we're not medical professionals. The only person who'd be able to diagnose you with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) would be a doctor, a psychiatrist or a psychologist. I know that you have said that you've already been diagnosed with several conditions and so if you believe that OCD is another issue for you then I'd suggest that you try and discuss it with your doctor which will be able to offer you some help if you do have OCD. You have already mentioned anti-depressants and SSRIs can often help OCD, however, the most common and effective treatment is a talking therapy, specifically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Take care.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: O.C.D. ? - December 23rd 2009, 10:39 AM

if i cant close the bin lid or close something i cant foucs till its shut. i have had cousnelling in the past but this really has developed since the counselling i was having finished.

Closed Thread