TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

View Poll Results: Are you ever paranoid about psychologists?
Yes -comment 16 72.73%
No -comment 5 22.73%
Other -comment 1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BriLizyT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sabrina

Exclamation How are psychologists? - December 28th 2009, 11:21 PM

I have only been to one therapist and she was awful.

The first time she just kept asking me questions and wanted to find out so much out me in a certain amount of time in order to help me.

But she kept pressuring me and saying angerily, "You didn't answer my question!"

She wasn't patient with me and she kept rushing me.

:sarcasm: Gee, thanks, lady! Like I don't already have enough pressure in my life in general along with the pressure of having to confess everything to a complete stranger! JEEZ!!

Is every therapist like this?

So what I want to ask is...is every first session like this? Do the people rush you and only do it because it is their job? Like they don't actually care? You're nothing special? You're just another client?

Are you ever scared to confess all of your inner emotions to some one you don't even know? For all you know, she just might spill your secrets.

Sometimes, I tend to be paranoid with people. I try to not trust people too well. Or they could turn on you like that *snap* and tell everything to everyone.

Sorry, I'm just rambling now.

Anyway, please share you're thoughts, responses, and all that other good shtuff. It would be appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: How are psychologists? - December 28th 2009, 11:36 PM

I saw a psychologist and I am glad to say my experience was nothing like yours. That sounds really awful and I'm sorry you had to go through that; A good psychologist should never behave that way. So, to answer your question, no. Every psychologist is not like that at all. Most care genuinly, want to help and try their best.

Yes, I was scared to tell a stranger about all my "inner emotions" as you put it but I think that is natural. I mean, it's all about trust and that can be scary, right? If you never trust anyone though you won't get far in life, sometimes we have to do things even though we are scared in order to try and move on. To feel better and experience new things.

Anyway, my experience was that seeing a psychologist was very helpful. The woman I saw was very friendly and smiley and helped me feel relaxed and comfortable with her. I was never pushed into doing/saying anything that I didn't want to and we just chatted about things I wanted to talk about. I felt that when I was seeing her I felt happier and a lot less anxious and my self harm decreased so overall it was positive thing.

I would definitely recommend looking around for a different therapist. Not everyone will be like the last one you saw and hopefully you can find someone you connect with. It might be a good idea to go to your GP and ask for recommendations of somebody good.

Hope this helps
Jen

PM // VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: How are psychologists? - December 28th 2009, 11:36 PM

Ive seen two psychologists. They were both really nice to me and seemed to understand. They alowed me to go at my own paste and to just say what i wanted to say.
Ive seen three four psychiatrists. Two of them, were pretty, well, intimadating. But maybe thats becasuse it was an 'emergency'. The other two were nice, and just listened to what i had to see.
I also see a councillor. Shes really nice and we get on well. She understands and lets me talk when im ready although sometimes tries to push me a bit.

Hope you're okay x

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 12:42 AM

i've seen a few and they have all been horrible.. very patronising and extremely unhelpful. shame really.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BriLizyT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 12:56 AM

Thanks, you two. That was helpful. I guess I just didn't have the best of luck with my first.

Also, another question of mine arises. There are all of these terms like psychoanalyst, psychotherapist, psychologist, therapist, counselor, shrink, etc.

Can some one please define these for me? I get so confused. :S

(#6 (permalink)) Old
RelFf Offline
A bit of an Ol' Nutter
Not a n00b

Name: ArielleDawn (Abbott)
Gender: Erm... mm let's just say human... with lady parts... (but trans)

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 01:04 AM

I have met three psychologists in my life (so far) and one I was forced to see on a weekly basis for a past summer vacation. That was not helpful to me in that my low grade depression was "helped" so much as i finally had some one to "hang" with durning my lonely boring summer... Personally, I don't like "skrinks" as they have never been of any help to me and i still struggle to see what they do that helps? Other then being an open ear... I could never open up or speak entirely truthfully with such a stranger.. Especially when they can just go back to my parents and tell them everything I said SOLEY because I am a minor, and my parents have the right to know what I was saying in every session... That's my opinion, in no way should it effect yours. My mother had been seeing a psychologist for many years and loved her psychologist dearly as a friend, I have no idea what went on in her sessions but she clearly came to trust and learn from the woman. Really she Learned! and in turn taught me all the psychology she could...
  Send a message via Skype™ to RelFf 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BriLizyT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 02:09 AM

Yeah, I hate that there's no privacy and they could just tell anything you said to him/her to your parents even when you may not be ready to tell them yet. >

What do shrinks actually do exactly?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 02:14 AM

Mine is the complete opposite of yours. She just sits there and I can say whatever I want. And if she asks something I don't want to answer, I just say, "I'm not answering" and she says, "Okay, moving on."

You just gotta find your match! Someone you can trust.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BriLizyT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 02:46 AM

Wow, that's awesome. That would be cool to have someone like that to confide in.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Wishbone Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 05:05 AM

My Psychologist had ended up playing games with me "literally" such as card games, board games, and we would play each visit because i was not opening up.. i felt when i did open up it all ended up on his notepad and i got little support from him.. but given i had no choice who i was seeing, i would suggest trying different therapists as each have different techniques they use, this one being perhaps the other end of the spectrum from the original poster of this thread. Somewhere you will find a balance.
 Send a message via ICQ to Wishbone  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriLizyT View Post
Thanks, you two. That was helpful. I guess I just didn't have the best of luck with my first.

Also, another question of mine arises. There are all of these terms like psychoanalyst, psychotherapist, psychologist, therapist, counselor, shrink, etc.

Can some one please define these for me? I get so confused. :S
Phrases like "shrink" and "counselor" are generally just casual ways of referring to someone who counsels others.

A therapist, by basic definition, is just someone who excels in a type of therapy. This could be physical or mental.

A psychologist is someone who usually holds a Ph.D in counseling, this is the title commonly used when referencing someone to seek help. Someone labeled a psychologist can usually not prescribe medications, since they hold no medical degree.

Try not to get too overwhelmed with the terms. A lot of them are either slang or just titles for certain fields in Psychology. (:
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 05:11 AM

I see a psychiatrist, and I can't stand her. I've never really disliked someone so much.
That being said, though, seeing her really has helped me, so I suppose I shouldn't dislike her as much as I do. You may not like psychologists in general, but the advice and support that they can give you is often extremely helpful when you're struggling.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#13 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 05:24 AM

Therapists and psychologists are people too! They're all different. Some people click with you better than others, and these are no exception. I think you have to keep searching until you find a professional who, like Amy said, you can trust.

It does take a while but I thought it was worth it for me.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Madeson Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 06:24 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your past experience, but I don't think you should keep you from trying other physcologists. They're all different, and you just have to find one that's right for you.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Psychologists are proper medical experts, psychotherapists are more mental biologists and probably to be avoided, psychoanalysis is fringe psychology so is definitely to be avoided, and therapists and counselors can be pretty much anything - some are naturally good, but they generally aren't well trained. Just stick to the proper psychologists.

I've been to two psychologists and knew another one personally, and I find them amazing people. The person you went to was either a rookie or not a proper psychologist.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Voldemort Offline
Touch My Deathstick
Average Joe

Name: Jade

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 06:28 PM

I had 1 and I didn't like her at all. She had a sort of stare that made me feel really uncomfortable. Also, nothing was private, I suppose that makes up part of why I didn't like going.

I guess you just have to find the right one

Dance like you mean it.

Buddy from 4th January 2010 - 16th March 2010... Buddy again from 8th September 2010 - October 16th 2011
  Send a message via MSN to Voldemort  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Nutty Nat Offline
nuttychick but friendly :)
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: How are psychologists? - December 29th 2009, 07:34 PM

i've had 5(yes 5) well my first one was abit of hmmm nice way to put it insensitive tried putting words in my mouth sort of person,second one was ok but i was stubborn and didnt want help as i was forced to go there by school,third one she was ok but she sat too close to me and kept putting tissues near me even tho i werent crying and i certainly werent going to cry infront of her,fourth one was a school counsellor she was more of a friend i just had a laugh with her and went to her to avoid doing pe and when i got in a fight or was going to end up in a fight(poor woman got me when i was in the worst mood ever),the one i have now is really nice shes a college counsellor i can open up to her apart from shes stressed me out for other the hols by giving me a decision to make which i have no time limit to decide in but me been me likes making the decision straight away.okay so il stop rambling and answer your questions:
Is every therapist like this?no you just have to find the right one
So what I want to ask is...is every first session like this?no but they explain the confidentiality rules to you,find out what u want to get out of been there,and ask for your details and stuff
Do the people rush you and only do it because it is their job? Like they don't actually care? You're nothing special? You're just another client? they dont rush u only one of the 5 counsellors i have had have done that btw they all had different job titles but i still don't understand what they do,counsellors do care otherwise they wouldn't do this job.

Are you ever scared to confess all of your inner emotions to some one you don't even know?yes but once you get use to them its ok,somethings i don't tell the counsellor as i am ok with it

Love you Naomi R.I.P i miss you loads but i will never forget you
08/11/92 - 10/11/92

R.I.P Gill - I love you as a second mum,will never forget you and all your advice,oh and i will keep smiling like you wanted see
Going to try continue helping people like you wanted and you did,hope i'm making you proud

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Psychologists are proper medical experts, psychotherapists are more mental biologists and probably to be avoided, psychoanalysis is fringe psychology so is definitely to be avoided, and therapists and counselors can be pretty much anything - some are naturally good, but they generally aren't well trained. Just stick to the proper psychologists.
This is completely wrong. Psychologists are doctors but NOT medical doctors. Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Psychotherapists shouldn't be avoided because research is showing psychotherapy for certain mental illnesses, such as depression, can be just as beneficial as medications. Generally medication and psychotherapy are the typical treatment regime so to say that psychotherapy should be avoided is asinine. I'm not sure what you mean by "mental biologists". True psychoanalysis isn't common anymore, it's more towards psychodynamics although I'm not a great fan of it still.

Your advice of stick to psychologists is laughable because you don't even know what a psychologist is from your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriLizyT
Yeah, I hate that there's no privacy and they could just tell anything you said to him/her to your parents even when you may not be ready to tell them yet
There is doctor-patient confidentiality and if you're a legal adult, and the doctor tells your parents of what you told them, in most cases it's illegal and you could write up a formal complaint about the doctor.

I've been to a few psychotherapists and one used to be a psychiatrist. Very knowledgable but it was as though the moment I stepped into the room I was being interrogated. Even making an appointment with her seemed like I was being interrogated. My current psychotherapist and psychiatrist are both amazing people, really nice to talk to although I have to say, I'm thinking of quitting the psychotherapy because it seems right now as though not much is being done. We got through a bunch of stuff and right now it's sort of just flailing out there not doing much. My psychiatrist though is still very useful to see, very knowledgable and some sessions we just discuss non-psychiatric issues, such as his friend's wedding or my exams, etc... . Then again, my first one was nice from the beginning although when I was put on one medication and had a bad reaction to it where I had to go to the emergency, he didn't believe me nor my parents. It got to a point where he would dismiss it because the reaction was very unusual.

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; December 30th 2009 at 01:31 AM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
BriLizyT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 04:22 AM

Well, I'm not a legal adult. Do the parents still have the right to know everything that goes on in the sessions solely because I'm am minor?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
This is completely wrong. Psychologists are doctors but NOT medical doctors. Psychiatrists are medical doctors. Psychotherapists shouldn't be avoided because research is showing psychotherapy for certain mental illnesses, such as depression, can be just as beneficial as medications. Generally medication and psychotherapy are the typical treatment regime so to say that psychotherapy should be avoided is asinine. I'm not sure what you mean by "mental biologists". True psychoanalysis isn't common anymore, it's more towards psychodynamics although I'm not a great fan of it still.

Your advice of stick to psychologists is laughable because you don't even know what a psychologist is from your post.
When I use the word medical it means they act to heal people, not that they fit into the technical definition of a "doctor", which I'm not quite sure of. I recommend that she stay away from psychiatrists because I know people who's difficulties coming off medication haven't at all been help by their psychiatrists, and I believe it's best to try to get out of depression without meds than with. My advice to stay away from people calling themselves therapists is that, at least over here, people only use the term if they have insufficient qualifications to be either a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist, and I've heard of enough bad therapists to severely taint my image of them. Psychoanalysis is very common in France at least.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 02:21 PM

I saw a psychologist. I was so used to talking to my school guidance counselor, so when I saw the psychologist I had a lot of expectations. I did not like the way the psychologist only listened. My guidance counselor would give me suggestions and converse with me about things. That was my main thing. After two times with the psychologist, I stayed with my GC.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
When I use the word medical it means they act to heal people, not that they fit into the technical definition of a "doctor", which I'm not quite sure of.
Fair enough, however, psychologists are doctors, either they have a PhD or more recently, they can have a PsyD. There are some exceptions, such as in Louisiana and New Mexico, they can prescribe medications despite not being a M.D..

Quote:
I recommend that she stay away from psychiatrists because I know people who's difficulties coming off medication haven't at all been help by their psychiatrists, and I believe it's best to try to get out of depression without meds than with.
This is a point where I have to disagree although since this isn't meant to be in the debate nor philosophy thread, I'll agree to disagree with you on medications.

Quote:
My advice to stay away from people calling themselves therapists is that, at least over here, people only use the term if they have insufficient qualifications to be either a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist, and I've heard of enough bad therapists to severely taint my image of them.
Agreed. Therapists or psychotherapists historically don't have a great reputation because of the issues with DID and homosexuality (used to be considered a mental disorder), among others. Nowadays though, you're right, some can be pretty bad but although some may be bad, the concept of psychotherapy and the good ones are beneficial.

Quote:
Psychoanalysis is very common in France at least.
Never knew that, thanks for the info.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Frangelina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Fran

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 04:13 PM

I saw a psychologist while i was in the psychiatrc unit, he was really nice and completly understood everything i was trying to explain to him.
he put me at ease even though at first i wouldnt even talk to him all he got was grunts but he still stuck with me and finally helped me to open up about everything.

I can honestly say he was one of the most genuinely caring guys i have ever met!

however when i was discharged and saw a psychologist in the community i didnt like her. she always talked down to me and tried to correct things that i where telling her that had happened even though she hadnt been there. she was completly horrible and more messed up then me.

xox

LIVE

LOVE

LIFE

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Fair enough, however, psychologists are doctors, either they have a PhD or more recently, they can have a PsyD. There are some exceptions, such as in Louisiana and New Mexico, they can prescribe medications despite not being a M.D..

This is a point where I have to disagree although since this isn't meant to be in the debate nor philosophy thread, I'll agree to disagree with you on medications.
On medication, lets just say I get where you're coming from - I've just had different experiences. And I never call PhD holders "Doctors" because as a child I was always confused about why my dad was a doctor!
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How are psychologists? - December 30th 2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
And I never call PhD holders "Doctors" because as a child I was always confused about why my dad was a doctor!
LOL, well that's certainly an unique reason.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How are psychologists? - December 31st 2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not a legal adult. Do the parents still have the right to know everything that goes on in the sessions solely because I'm am minor?
They have a legal obligation to tell them if you have or have thought about harming yourself or someone else. Otherwise it's completely confidential unless you give permission.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How are psychologists? - December 31st 2009, 02:50 PM

Although I've never actually seen a psychologist, I have seen a variety of other psychiatric professionals and I have always been nervous about visiting each and every one of them. It's perfectly normal and natural to worry about meeting someone new, especially if you're expected to open up to them and talk to them about something very personal. Opening up to someone (especially a stranger) about how you're feeling and why can be nerve-wracking and it does take some time getting used to. It's important that you do keep at it and try visiting these people in order to feel closer and form a bond with them. You should not have to worry about confidentiality and discuss this with them if you are worried. Unless you are considered to be a danger to yourself or not, there should be no need to disclose anything that you've told your psychologist to anyone out of the profession.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: How are psychologists? - December 31st 2009, 04:30 PM

My Psychologist was.. different.. Some days, we would sit there and not say anything at all, but she never rushed me or pushed me. She was very helpful when I felt like talking. So I personally believe that not every psychologist is the same, and many of them approach situations in a different way.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread