TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeeAnn_Angela Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Depersonilization Disorder - January 13th 2010, 09:29 PM

So, I've posted on here before and talked to a few people on the chat about how I've been feeling lately. Some people mentioned something about dissascoiation (sp?) and depersonilization, so I decided to look up some stuff about it...and, while I know it can be risky and all that to "self-diagnose" while I was reading the stuff, it described it in ways that I hadn't thought of but described it exactly, if that makes sense? THe more I read about it...the more i'm starting to think this might explain what I've been feeling.

So basically, I'm curious...has anyone heard of this? KNow anyone with it? Have they been able to treat it in some way? A lot of the websites that I've looked at have pretty much said that it's something you have to learn to deal with, is that true for everyone?

And also...I'm not sure how to present this to my mom, or if I'm even going to. I know that it's getting worse, and she's starting to realize something's up, but I just don't know how to talk to her about it. Should I just explain what I'm feeling and hope she doesn't brush it off (I used to try and explain when I was little, but gave up when I was about 7ish...) again? Tell her I think it might be Depersonilization Disorder and risk her thinking I'm just an overdramatic teen (which, I am a bit lol) who convienced herself about something? What?
  Send a message via Yahoo to DeeAnn_Angela  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: Depersonilization Disorder - January 13th 2010, 09:59 PM

I think how it is treated varies based on the severity of the disorder. I struggle with ocassional mild depersonalization after a trauma, and often when I am experiencing it stomping my feet, taking a cold shower, holding ice, putting my face in ice water, or standing on my tippy toes for as long as i possibly can will help me to feel more grounded.

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlurrySunset Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meg

Re: Depersonilization Disorder - January 13th 2010, 10:07 PM

You do have to be careful with self-diagnosing. Feelings of mild depersonalization are actually normal. It is only when the feelings are strong, severe, and persistent that it can be called a disorder.

Keeping that in mind, if you still think it's worth mentioning to your mother, then you should definitely talk to her about it. I would suggest doing some research about depersonalization disorder, and presenting that to her, and asking her to keep an open mind. Hopefully you can get evaluated by a professional and get an accurate diagnosis. Good luck, and PM me if you need to talk.

I lost myself in the space between heaven and hell.
...where do we go from here?

R.I.P. Sarah; 1991-2009
Kacy; 1992-2009
I'll never forget.

Two months clean and sober.
Seven months since last cut.
Still struggling and surviving.

Closed Thread