TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
misleadjean Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: DJ Caldwell

Unhappy Cut off my hair and started feeling extremely conscious - January 20th 2010, 05:54 AM

i have desperately been growing my hair out a little over a year now. over the weekend, i decided i wanted platinum hair and the woman who does my hair said that i would have to go really short for it not to look too brassy, so, i summoned all of my courage and took the plunge.

and now i regret it so much, and it seems that the less length i have, the more anxiety and self consciousness came with. everytime i think about my hair i feel sick and I can't go to school without thinking people are staring at how awkward i am with my short hair.

my mom said i cant get extensions and that i should just wait, but i don't know how to wait when every day is so hard.

:l

"Leap, and the net will appear."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Cut off my hair and started feeling extremely conscious - January 21st 2010, 02:44 AM

Hey,

You're certainly brave! I can understand why having such a change might make you self-conscious. Try to remember that chances are, people aren't staring at you and thinking "Ohmygod, I hate that girl because her hair is short". You know? People might be simply noticing your haircut, maybe even wondering how you worked up the courage to cut it, etc. Even if a person doesn't like your hair, so what? We all have our opinions and that's okay! Sometimes I don't particularly like a shirt a friend is wearing, or the way she did her makeup or something, but that's just my opinion--it doesn't mean it's right, and it also doesn't mean that I dislike her as a whole. I just have my opinion and move on! And, if someone really were to not want to be friends with you or interact with you because of your hair--well, that would really surprise me, but also, you definitely wouldn't even want someone like that in your life to begin with.

You are awesome no matter what you do or don't look like--remember that!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Solace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Solace

Re: Cut off my hair and started feeling extremely conscious - January 21st 2010, 05:45 AM

I littereally chopped my hair off one night i felt so stupid after wards it was so long and then I got mad at myself and had no other coping mechinisms avalable to me I sawed my hair off with a hand saw. Every time I looked in the mirror I was reminded about how stupid I was, and how I wasn't even reckless enough to go the whoel way.. I cut it chin length cuz i was too much of a coward to do it for real.

Anyway... lol. After I forgave myself and calmed down I grew to like my short hair ok. It's growing now a year later I like it this length.

I would try your best to accept it even though maybe you don't like it. That's ok. You can get extensions or maybe just wait it out try to get used to it. It's a big change all at once.

People hardly even notice things, honestly. It was months after my foolhardy haircut (trimmed to be more even, of course,) before anyone even noticed or commented. People might notice something in passing but won't care or dwell on it.

"Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers. " - Rainer Maria Rilke

Closed Thread