TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stevie141 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steve

Unhappy borderline personality disorder...huh - April 23rd 2010, 09:05 PM

well ok im about to go see a mental heath practisoner (bad spelling) on monday because a while go i was told i probly have bipolar. i got scared and didn't go at 1st but now i got the courage to get on with it. Then i have now been told that not only i might have bipolar but i could have something called borderline personality disorder and something to do with self harm but i cant remember what the hell that was called. anyway i'm really confused and a little scared, what is it. i have no idea what it is and now i'm worried that all this could be wrong with me when befor i was just thinking oh im depressed i can get through this but i really m acting so strnage these last few months and maby this is why....
  Send a message via MSN to stevie141  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: borderline personality disorder...huh - April 23rd 2010, 11:42 PM

I have borderline personality disorder, and depression. Borderline is nothing more than a diagnosis, it does not change anything except help figure out what treatment you receive. If you have any questions or concerns, problems or just want to talk feel free to P.M me. oh... and try not to worry because it will all work out, though it may be really rough and difficult it will eventually.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

TWLOHA
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Soliloquy Offline
I've been here a while

Re: borderline personality disorder...huh - April 23rd 2010, 11:44 PM

Hey Steve! First of all, bravo for working up the courage to get help! It's always scary to have a doctor tell you something is going on, whether it be physically or mentally. I understand your hesitance in going to see a practitioner, but it's wonderful that you got past that!

Please don't fret about the possibility of something "being wrong with you." There is nothing defective about you. Whatever is going on with your mind, you can overcome with plenty of hard work and perseverance. You are in no way doomed to a life of mental instability. As Mike stated, it is nothing more than a diagnosis that will determine what kind of treatment you will receive.

Basically, the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (or BPD) are:
  • Frantic efforts to avoid abandonment
  • Unstable relationships; alternating between loving and hating a person
  • Impulsive actions such as self-harming, promiscuous and unprotected sex, substance abuse, binge eating, etc.
  • Recurring suicidal thoughts and/or attempts
  • Intense mood swings
  • Long-term feelings of emptiness
  • Trouble controlling anger
  • Suspicion of other people with a good reason (paranoia)
Does this sound like you at all? If so, then you very well could have it. Other mental health conditions also tend to coincide with BPD, including depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder, ADHD, and eating disorders. It can cause disruption in many aspects of life, especially those including relationships and work. But don't worry, as treatment is very much possible with long-term counseling and possibly the aid of medication (if that appeals to you).

I hope this cleared this up some things for you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: borderline personality disorder...huh - April 24th 2010, 04:33 PM

Hey there Steve,

The DSM IV criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder is as follows:

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
1. frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
2. a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
4. impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
5. recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
6. affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
7. chronic feelings of emptiness
8. inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
9. transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

Hopefully this should give you an indication of what Borderline Personality Disorder entails, but I am sure that your mental health professional will be able to answer any specific questions and talk to you about your issues in more detail.

Take care.

Closed Thread