TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 02:56 AM

I was flipping through some old school books of mine, and found my PDH (Personal Development and Health) book from three years back. And I found the section on mental health. This is all it said, in an entire year of teaching:

Quote:
Mental Health: it is a state of mind. It is made up of a group of mental illnesses. A mental illness can be mild or severe, temporary or prolonged. A person with a mental illness can experience changes in the way they think and behave.

Mood symptoms -
Overwhelming feelings of sadness, depression, anxiety, or fear
Inability to sleep
Changes in appetite
Increased use of alcohol and other drugs
Losing interest
Start but not finish things

Classifications:
Depression and Anxiety Disorders - feelings so great they affect the person's ability to deal with normal life. Things such as eating disorders, phobias, etc.
Psychotic Illness - affects the brain and causes change in a person's thinking, emotions, and behaviour. Things such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorders.
And that was it. Oversimplified, incorrect in parts and incomplete in others. Yet somehow that was expected to be enough information, and was all I knew about mental illness for a long time.

So, I guess my question is this: when you were in school, what were you taught about mental health/illness? Did you think it was enough? How were you taught about it?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 04:41 AM

I only took one health class in highschool. It was kinda like the class you described.
It did not give much about mental illnesses. It talked about drug abuse but that was it. However in my Theory of Knowledge (a philosophy) class we talked a lot about thinking and the mind, so it went a little bit into mental illnesses but it more about the thinking of it not exactly it.
Then I took a chemistry II class we did a drug and medicine topic and it talked more about the chemicals in the brain which caused depressed feelings.
But when it comes to more of a psychology point of view and learning it in school, I didn't have any of that. What I learned about the brain and mental illnesses came from me reading the 6 volumes of psychology books in my library.
I don't think it's enough though in school. There is a lot more that they could do, but I don't think they care enough. We had a psych class that went over all of this but it was more like a read the book and learn it yourself. so chaa. xx
That's just how it was in my school.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 04:47 AM

All they taught us about in health class through all of junior high and high school (there's only one health class in high school and I've already taken it ) was drugs and alcohol abuse. Nothing about other addictions or mental health issues. I think it's stupid. it made me feel like my problems weren't significant to teach about.

I did learn a LOT about mental health problems in psychology class though. I liked that unit. I was good at it becasue I knew all the information already

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 09:41 AM

Now I'm thinking about it I learned nothing in school :/ That's terrible really :|

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 10:02 AM

At my school, they would rather talk about Cultural Diversity in PHD, seriously we are spending a whole term on it. We spent a few weeks talking about mental health, but it was just the basics and everyone knew what was being said, because it was so simple. Also, the way it was described to us, it seemed like it was easy fixable, which is not true for everyone. It was a case of go get a counsellor, get medication, Kthxbaii.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 10:17 AM

We had P.S.E. (personal, social education) in school but it was mostly sex education and drug education.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 11:11 AM

My school had a APS course: anthropology-psychology-sociology. I never took it though because I thought it was boring and some of it was dry and boring, so I'm not sure what my high-school ever taught for mental health. The biology classes took a very quick and general biopsychological perspective but as I said, very quick so not much was learned other than too much dopamine induces psychosis, off-balanced serotonin leads to mood disorders and addictions involve the nucleus accumbens. There was also basic stuff on what common brain areas, such as the hypothalamus do but never in relation to mental health.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Vicx

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
We had P.S.E. (personal, social education) in school but it was mostly sex education and drug education.
Same here ... and domestic violence...

I didn't get anything on mental health ... in fact ... I'm trying to think where I learnt about it!! hmmm...

So much for that idea ...

Want a chat? Get in touch ...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 12:48 PM

Never once mentioned. The teachers are afraid tbh.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 12:59 PM

At my school I learned quite a bit about mental health, and the illnesses that are more common/known (depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, ect.) I learned about mental health in a few different courses throughout my four years of high school. Sometimes the information was taught by the teacher, and sometimes the students would be assigned a topic and had to teach the class about it.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 02:24 PM

We were taught absolutely nothing at all concerning mental health at school, which really annoyed me. It's not an uncommon thing, it affects millions of people. I think that it should be taught, even if just the basics, at school.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantine View Post
We were taught absolutely nothing at all concerning mental health at school, which really annoyed me. It's not an uncommon thing, it affects millions of people. I think that it should be taught, even if just the basics, at school.
Agreed.

We only learnt about the effect of anti depressants and why people are depressed. We spent more time talking about sex. Surprise, surprise.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 04:05 PM

Don't recall it but all this PDH stuff was well after I left.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 05:49 PM

In my health class this year, we spent a brief period of time going over the basics of suicide, cutting (no other methods of self-harm were covered), depression, alcoholism, and drug addiction. Nothing else was taken into account. It's awful, really. I genuinely hope that they will cover more in my remaining two years of high school, although somehow I doubt it.

Like you, Chess, I found the education I received to be flawed and incomplete. I spent most of my classes sitting there, desperately wanting to speak out and correct the teacher. No wonder mental health illnesses are so misunderstood -- people are not given the correct facts.

The self-harm unit particularly disturbed me, as we only talked about cutting. Even then, not once did we discuss why someone would want to cut in the first place. We were basically told, "Cutting is a common byproduct of depression. It's addictive. If you think your friend is cutting or depressed, tell someone." I was appalled.

I agree that a better mental health curriculumn needs to be instituted -- and soon.

Last edited by DeletedAccount31; June 19th 2010 at 07:16 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 06:21 PM

I never had the option of learning anything about mental health until I switched schools in Grade 10 and took an "Intro to Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology" class. U?p until that point I attended Catholic schools that often tried to keep topics like mental health out of our curriculum. Funny thing is, they considered learning about mental health as something that would negatively affect us, however we were one of the few Catholic, and in most cases one of the only schools in my city that I know of that taught extensive sexual health classes. We were learning sexual health in depth in grade 6. I found it incredibly funny that they would feel we needed to be aware of sexual health issues, and feel that mental health issues were inappropriate to teach us.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 19th 2010, 06:56 PM

In my high school in the sophomore year we had Health the teacher spend the whole year talking about sports and drugs. Senior year I took Psychology the teacher was a joke all we did all year was talk about how females and males differ usually the class would divide in two groups the boys and the girls and just "debate". =/

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 20th 2010, 02:50 AM

I took psychology which had almost nothing to do with mental illness, just how the brain works and such.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#18 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 20th 2010, 11:20 AM

The only time it was ever, ever mentioned in all five years of secondary school was ''Don't bully people... they'll get depressed... and kill themselves'' That one sentence is all we ever got. Ridiculous.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 20th 2010, 11:34 AM

in my school they don't even mention mental illnesses T_T

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 21st 2010, 07:15 PM

That was about the same amount of information I got in my required health class. We received some information about cutting (and only cutting) and depression (not about types or anything, just brief information.) We also talked about stress. But, there was no mention of anxiety as an illness, or any other type of mental health problem with the exception of drug abuse and addiction, which we covered in more detail. A lot of the information given was biased and incorrect, especially about drugs and alcohol.

I also took a psychology class. We didn't cover abnormal psych very much.. it was mainly focused on the more concrete, scientific side of it (parts of the brain and such) and also history (famous psychologists and experiments.) The information we did get in this class about mental health was accurate and neutral though, so that was good. The problem of course is that the class isn't required and also was for college credit, so not many people took it because they didn't want to do the extra work or pay the $300.

We definitely didn't get enough information, and I think that's bad because mental health problems are so taboo, we need to get people to understand that it doesn't make you a bad person to have a problem or to seek help. Talking about mental health in health class would be a way to spread understanding and awareness.. so that people who have problems can get the help they need and those who don't can be more understanding of other people.
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
S_e_a_n Offline
UnAverage Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 24th 2010, 07:43 AM

My school's health class didn't talk about mental illnesses at all. It as all focused on STD's, teen pregnancy, and first aid...

Heck the only class that I had that even talked about it was my Latin 4 class. When we were talking about Roman philosophy...

Send a message via MSN to S_e_a_n  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 24th 2010, 10:34 AM

In my years in school (not counting college) there was a 10 minute period where depression was mentioned and that was it. I am infuriated that mental health is not a topic that is talked about in schools. It makes me feel like my issues doesnt matter. Plus I feel like in my community that it is going to take someone committing suicide before the issue is addressed. I tried to form something on suicide awareness and I was told no by my school! Im sorry but what?! Do they not want to save lives?? Ugh sorry this topic boils my blood cause schools should be addressing mental health and suicide.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
xander Offline
Average Joe

Name: xander

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 24th 2010, 02:54 PM

at my school all they taught us about was a 20 minute talk in a biology lesson. all they covered was autism. and that was only because there was one boy in our year with it. other then that nope, same goes for sex ed, only a really nervous teacher that kind of skipped alot of it, didnt teach anything about love or respect for your partner. the education system is pathetic

XANDER

am i in love? or am i being used?

(#24 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 24th 2010, 04:42 PM

At my school we were taught absolutely nothing about mental health. I really think it should be taught though because of the amount of people that are affected by it in some way or another.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 24th 2010, 04:57 PM

I got health in junior high and highschool, but because it was a traditional health class we spent all of 1 day a year on it and it was the basic stuff. If you're depressed or suicidal tell a teacher and go to the guidance office. I don't even think they gave out the hotline numbers. I only covered it in college because I'm a psych major and no one else touched the subject until a student committed suicide on campus. Then everybody freaked out and they were all gung ho about it and I sat there thinking: If you'd done this weeks ago, you might've saved a life, why does it take a death for this to get attention?!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#26 (permalink)) Old
LeahLouise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leah Louise

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 25th 2010, 01:22 AM

In school we never learnt a thing about mental health...
i mean, yeah - from friends/peers you can learn a lot from people around you suffering, in my own friendship group we had people with bi-polar, depression, schizophrenia, self-harm, and loads of other things...
Only people who take things like health and social care in GCSE would learn about mental health into more detail i guess...
i took child development, and i guess we learned about self harm with children and childhood depression, but not much detail.
it should be part of a school curriculum to be fair.
  Send a message via AIM to LeahLouise Send a message via MSN to LeahLouise  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
captain_obvious Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kyle

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 25th 2010, 04:53 AM

I was taught absolutely nothing about mental health other than if you feel suicidal, get help in the "traditional" health class. However, I took a psychology class as an elective in high school and I learned a lot more about mental health. High schools do need to spend more time teaching students about mental health because a student may feel "not right" mentally and might not know what to do or how to get help so they can feel "right."

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

George Orwell

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Mental Health, as taught in my school - June 25th 2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I only covered it in college because I'm a psych major and no one else touched the subject until a student committed suicide on campus. Then everybody freaked out and they were all gung ho about it and I sat there thinking: If you'd done this weeks ago, you might've saved a life, why does it take a death for this to get attention?!
That's terrible. And also a good reason why it should be taught more in schools.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread