TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 01:17 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I think I might suffer some form of depression, but i'm too embarrassed and scared to get it checked out.
I know that depression and bipolar run on my dad's side of the family, and neurosis on my mum's but neither of my parents have any problems. I just seem to suffer total highs and devastating lows all the time. I can swing from a gloriously ecstatic mood to a suicidal self hating one in the space of a couple of hours, and its impacting on my personal life - my boyfriend doesn't understand it at all. When I'm in a good mood I'm high as I thing I could be - I can easily cry of happiness for no specific reason, and it's great because everything seems so perfect. But when I'm on a low I feel horrific. I break things, I get angry, I sob uncontrollably for hours, I dont eat or sleep, it makes me physically ill. I can't stand for my partner to touch me and the thought of sex repulses me because I feel disgusted with myself. I've noticed I pull at my hair in my sleep and grind my teeth even on good days.

I've looked all this up and it supposedly points to depression but I don't want to admit that it's right. Someone please tell me I'm ok?? It can just be stress, right?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 02:31 PM

We can't tell really, you have enough symptoms that it *may* just be anything. Perhaps it might be best to see your doctor about it.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 02:45 PM

It sounds like a form of depression, but why would you be scared or disgusted at yourself because of it? Clinical depressions aren't your fault at all in any way at all and can easily be treated. It would be worse if you were "ok" but still having huge mood swings, than if you had depression which would explain everything.

Get it checked by a professional, chances are you can find out exactly what's wrong, get it treated and get back to living a normal life and being happy

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 04:35 PM

I don't want anyone to know - my parents, my colleagues etc...and I'm scared to tell y doctor about it, I'm worried he'll tell me I'm just a teenager and laugh at me for being daft

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 04:54 PM

If your doctor ever laughs at you find a new doctor.

The largest issue doctors have nowadays is patients not going to them about "unimportant" issues, only to suddenly appear when those issues become dangerous medical conditions. Getting anything checked out by your doctor will always do more good than harm.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 05:01 PM

Doctors are trained to deal with these sort of things and have hundreds of teenagers who suffer depression coming to them for help, I can promise you that. Quite a few people here on TH are receiving treatment for depression and I'm sure a lot of them can tell you it's more than worth it and can really change things for the better. You most definitely aren't being daft. And if depression is something that has run in your family, then chances are they'll be able to relate to your issues and help you. Don't be ashamed, depression isn't something in your head that you're being silly about, it's an actual condition that isn't your fault whatsoever and can be easily treated.

At least get it checked by your doctor, you can decide on who to tell or not and what to do, after that.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 05:50 PM

Ok, I'll get it checked. Thanks guys

(#8 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: I'm scared - June 21st 2010, 07:20 PM

It sounds like Bipolar to me, but I'm not a doctor and can't diagnose you. You really need to see someone. I wouldn't worry about your parents or friends, you only have to tell them as much as you want and they'll probably be more understanding than you think. I know it can be hard to talk to people about these types of problems but keep in mind that it doesn't make you a bad person to have a problem like this, and there's nothing wrong with getting help at all. Good luck:]
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
Closed Thread