TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmberS9109 Offline
I'll Be There For You =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 05:13 AM

I usually need a TV on, or need to play on my laptop till early hours of the morning. My boyfriend doesn't want to invest in a nightlight and he hates sleeping with stuff on. He knows about my fear of the dark, but what am I supposed to tell him so he stops yelling at me everytime we go to bed?

Two is better than one.
Amber + Stephen ♥ 11.15.09
  Send a message via AIM to AmberS9109 Send a message via MSN to AmberS9109 Send a message via Yahoo to AmberS9109  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 05:33 AM

Tell him to respect you and stop being such a douch or you'll start sleeping in the other room?

I can't sleep in silence. Weird I know but I have to have the tv or my netbook playing audiobooks quietly in the background. We've all got our 'things'. See if you can get a dull one on your side of the bed so he can't see it directly? Or buy him one of those things that covers your eyes. Ya know, the things they have on planes and stuff.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 06:23 AM

Yeah, I agree with the eye cover thing. There's nothing you can do about the fact that you have trouble sleeping in the dark, but there are things that he can do to block out the light. Sleeping in the same room requires cooperation on both parts, and it's not fair of him to expect you to sleep in the dark just because he doesn't like sleeping with a light on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 07:21 AM

I agree that you and your boyfriend should try to work something out so that you can both sleep in peace. It sounds like he's being kind of selfish, and that's not fair. Tell him to get a cover for his eyes, if he refuses to do that then tell him to man up.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 10:13 AM

I agree with all that's been said. My boyfriend prefers to sleep when it's completely silent and completely dark, but I'm the sort that prefers to sleep with all the lights on (boy, does my mother love our electric bill ). Our compromise was that we leave the bathroom light on and close the door part of the way. That way, I still had a nightlight and he was still able to sleep. Perhaps you could work something like this out with your boyfriend. If he's stubborn to a compromise, then why not go your separate ways - as in, you get the nightlight and he wears a mask over his eyes when he goes to sleep (this was the arrangement between my roommate and I freshman year); that way, you get the best of both worlds. If he doesn't listen to you asking him kindly to be respectful of the fact you can't sleep in the dark, then tell him that the only other option, then, is for you to sleep in the other room.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
tell him to man up.
This

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: I don't like to sleep in the dark. - July 11th 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
it's not fair of him to expect you to sleep in the dark just because he doesn't like sleeping with a light on.
and it's not exactly 100% fair on the other part, of asking him to sleep in the light because he doesn't like the dark on.

you both need to compromise. How about you get yourself an Ipod, download some music or an audio book, and listen to that. I sleep with headphones on all the time, and it's so relaxing. There are also free apps on ipod touch's that are specifically to play sounds that will help you sleep.
Also, if you get a small, dim night light, plug it in near your side of the bed, so that he can't see it easily. That way, you have a light on, and he doesn't have to see it.

You can also suggest that he takes a melatonin before going to bed. It's a natural drug that simply makes you sleepy. I take it when I can't sleep. You can get them at any health food store. It will help him sleep regardless of what's going on around him.

Also, how about you take this opportunity to face your fears of the dark. I slept with a night light until I was liek 13 and then one night I just took it out. It was the scariest night of my life but I got over my fear, and now I love sleeping in the dark

Take care <3

Closed Thread