TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Question What else is there? - July 13th 2010, 09:53 PM

I've had an interesting last week being forcefully placed in a crisis stabilization center. Now, I was originally diagnosed with depression and social anxiety, but the psyc. at the center says this diagnosis is off and the psychologist completely agrees with him. So obviously my meds have been changed to Celexa and Tegretol and my diagnosis has been changed as well. They wrote down GAD and unspecified mood disorder. I was told that there was something else going on other than depression, and they said they were reluctant to diagnose me with bipolar disorder. So my question is this... what other mood disorders are there?

I find in interesting that they left it as that. They told me they were unsure and it was too soon to tell what was going on with me. I'm just curious to know what possibilities there are.

Also, I'm curious to know who has tried the two medications that I have stated, Celexa and Tegretol and if they had tried them together and what was your experience with them? I'm a bit iffy switching to them, especially when the doctor isn't sure what's going on. But... I have no choice but to take them. it was part of my agreement to be able to be discharged from that place. It makes me nervous since they're going to be checking in to make sure that I make follow up appointments and all. I find it kinda creepy actually.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Re: What else is there? - July 14th 2010, 12:55 AM

mood disorders are basicly varriations on depression, ranging from depression to mania. celexa is mostly used for depression and tregertol for bipolar. there's a good wikipedia article on it.
i haven't tried any of them, so sorry. you can look up the side effects though, that should help.
sounds like a tough week, if you feel like talking/ranting about it....
p.s. what's a crisis stabilization center

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What else is there? - July 14th 2010, 05:44 AM

There are at least 12 that are of some variation of depression or bipolar, anything from dysthmic disorder to depressive disorder NOS to psychotic disorder to post-partum depression and many others. Many of the disorders have certain specifications (i.e. early or late onset for dysthmic disorder) so including these, there are probably 25 or more. Some doctors are in a debate over borderline personality disorder being a mood disorder but as it stands currently, it's not. When the DSM-V is released, there's a possibility it may become a mood disorder but many doubt that.

When you say they're reluctant to diagnose you with bipolar, there are several types of it so they could mean they're reluctant to diagnose you with any of them or with only certain ones. However, they simplify their answers to you so it's less confusing if you haven't studied psychology at a high level (which you probably haven't).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: What else is there? - July 14th 2010, 01:23 PM

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many types. They told me that depression was not a possibility for me, that it was something more. I'm assuming especially since they put me on tegretol that it's some type of bipolar disorder? idk, but that's my guess for now. Being on it for a little while now I have to admit I'm starting to notice a difference and so is my mom. She's calling it my chill pill. Thank you both for your input, and wow that is a lot of types! I guess I could look into it and see what I find.

A crisis stabilization center is an alternative for the hospital sort of. They wanted to originally send me to the state hospital, but there was an opening at the other place so I was sent there. They say it's just like a hospital only nicer and only for people who are there to detox or on suicide watch basically. The name explains what it is a lot, and you talk to all types of people there. Nurses, nurse proctitioners, psychologist, and a psyciatrist everyday. I had to follow a strict schedule and they watched me closely.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

Closed Thread