TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Squid

Who/How? - July 19th 2010, 07:05 PM

Ok, I really want to talk to someone who could see if there is anything actually wrong with me or if I am just being pathetic... I am terrified of telling my parents anything about this in case they just dismiss it as me being pathetic, which is just.. Anyway, nevermind.

Who would I see and how would I see them without my parents knowing?

I want to talk about this kind of stuff (If this makes a difference to who I talk to): http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-m...ting-all-down/
(That could be triggering, I don't know)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hope begins Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Re: Who/How? - July 20th 2010, 12:02 AM

Hey.. I had a quick look at your thread but am lacking the concentration to read the whole thing, sorry!

Basically, your first port of call would generally be your doctor who can refer you on to other services if they think that's necessary / appropriate. Although if you're at school they may have a counsellor or something you could talk to. At 15, in the UK, you can see your GP without your parents knowing, although in some circumstances and certainly if you're thought to be a serious risk to yourself or others they will have to find out.

What scares you about telling your parents? I don't think they would dismiss it as pathetic - I'm sure they care for you and would want to help.

Oh - there may also be free and confidential counselling services for young people in your area if you want to avoid seeing your GP. I would suggest going to the doctor, though.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who/How? - July 20th 2010, 10:38 AM

Well they think I am a hypochondriac because I pretended to be sick or made myself sick a lot in the first few years of school because of bullying :/ And I am just generally frightened to tell my parents anything, or anyone anything... I don't know. Thanks for replying

By the way I am 16 in 8 days... If that makes a difference.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Who/How? - July 20th 2010, 10:59 AM

Hey!

I read your other thread and my guess if you really don't want your parents knowing although I doubt it really is gonna be possible if you speak up is to go to your doctor and talk about it. Is it really such a bad thing your parents knowing? I mean no matter what they reaction is, no matter what you do, your parents love you and care for you. I'm sure although it might be a shock and they might be in denial for a while that they will want to support you. I was petrified when I first spoke up and the reaction I got from my dad was unbearable sometimes I wished I had never said anything. Truth is now, I think he has accepted that I am the way I am and he tries to be supportive.
If you really want to get past this and understand this you are going to have to speak up, because you can't get through it alone and the more people you have to support you the better in my opinion.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who/How? - July 20th 2010, 12:14 PM

Thank you (:

Closed Thread