TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Mental Illnesses - August 27th 2010, 04:40 PM

This has two parts to it. Myself being rediagnosed, and my bf's diagnosises. We both struggle with mental illness, and we help each other fight it. I'm basically searching for some information from perhaps someone's own experience? I would also love any kind of advice that someone is willing to give. This may be somewhat long, so if you are reading this, thank you.

I'm going to start by saying, I'm confused with my own diagnosis. I was originally diagnosed with Major Depression and Social Anxiety. I went to therapy and was started on meds for awhile, but nothing was working. In fact I was loosing hope that anything would work. I was then forced to a crisis stabilization center as an alternative for being sent to the state hospital. There I went through multiple evaluations, and saw many different people, nurses, doctors, psychs... Anyway, after being there for about a week, I got a new diagnosis. They told me that I certainly did not just have depression, or social anxiety. They were talking about bi-polar disorder, but on my files I was diagnosed with GAD, and Mood Disorder BI NOS. What on earth is that??? That is exactly what was written. I assume I was originally misdiagnosed? Anyway, I am starting therapy at a new location, and have started completely new medications. They have me on a low dose of an anti-depressant and an anticonvulsant(sp?) basically a mood stabilizer. I haven't noticed much of a change, but the people around me claim to. Any words of advice on this? Also, my therapist told me that I had a cross addiction and had severe problems with depersonalization. She tried to explain them to me, but could anyone give me a better understanding from perhaps a personal experience?

Now for the more important issue. I have been with my bf for a couple months now, and we're really starting to get intense. We've known from the begining that we each had a mental illness, but we didn't care. We talk to one another and it help each other out. He told me he had multiple diagnosises, but the one he has now, he's had the longest. He is currently diagnosed with Schizophrenia, ADHD, and DID(aka multiple personality disorder). For awhile, I never saw any of this in him. Maybe some of the Schizophrenia part, but he doesn't have it as sevrely as one may think. He hears and sees things, and although I've never experienced hullicinations, I too have heard things in my own mind. We both find it oddly amusing. But the real problem is DID. You see, I recently discovered that he had been lying to me about himself. Like where he was from, bits about his family, and some other really big things. This happened after I had crashed and ran off. He came and found me, dragged me back to my dorm room and we got into a huge fight. His fear had come back, with me being suicidal. He lost a lot of people from suicide, and his dad died from cancer ontop of that. I always see him living a happy life, finanically stable, lots of friends, hobbies, a smart, friendly guy. But, I always knew how much he hurt. Anyway, he wasn't himself. He spoke differently, and he threatened suicide. That's nothing like him. He looked angry at me, like he was going to attack me. I had never seen such a thing. That's when I realized how serious DID really is. When he came back to himself, he was crying heavily and telling me he his alter had come out. That he was improving and had 2 other personalities beside himself. He told me it was like watching himself on TV and that he couldn't stop any of it. There wasn't even an off button. He just said that somehow I pulled him out of it, and that the fear had brought it back to him. He says he's going to kill those personalities, but is that even possible? I've been prying everything out of him, and it's like we've emptied ourselves out to each other. He keep saying that it's getting so much better, that he's almost free. Can this be cured? To be honest, I was afraid and I wanted to run in that fear. I told him that, that if he couldn't be the one I fell for, then I wanted to walk away. I was tired of being hurt and lied to, and my own memories flooded back. He promised that he would stay himself. It's a start that he figured out which was actually him. He knows. He is fighting it. But how can I help him? I'd do anything to help him with this. I know it has stemmed from the loss of so many people in his life. Also, is this curable? And can anyone give me a good idea, about what all of this REALLY is?

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Mental Illnesses - August 28th 2010, 07:04 AM

Psychiatrists use what's called a diagnostic tree to help them with diagnosing patients. It has a variety of statements and the doctor has to assess whether the patient has or does not have whatever that statement says. The end result is the patient would be given the diagnosis of whatever is in the box. If, however, the doctor cannot place you into a box, then you go into the last box called Mood Disorder NOS, which means "not otherwise specified". In other words, they believe you have a mood disorder but it doesn't fit any of the current ones. This is actually a pretty common occurrance so don't feel as though it's odd because it is not. "GAD" is an anxiety disorder called generalized anxiety disorder. It involves the patient showing excessive anxiety to everyday basic things, such as friendships. In other words, there is no specific anxiety trigger for it whereas there is for other ones, such as social anxiety disorder where the trigger is being around many people. Like Mood Disorder NOS, GAD is fairly common.

Depersonalization is a dissociative symptom, not a diagnosis. It is a feeling where you leave your body and don't feel in control of what you do but not due to delusions as someone with schizophrenia may experience. It's a symptom for many disorders, such as borderline personality disorder and GAD. Cross-addiction is simply where a person is addicted to multiple substances. Often the person is addicted to alcohol and at least one other substance to get a stronger drug experience for whatever the reason.

Your boyfriend has the most controversial diagnosis: DID (not called multiple personality disorder in North America any longer and saying MPD is wrong). Many doctors, therapists, researchers and others don't believe DID is a real diagnosis, whereas others do. Many believe it's something else, such as schizophrenia, PTSD, delusional disorder, severe anxiety and mood disorder, etc... . The idea of it though is that there is one host personality (your boyfriend) who is in charge but is fragmented into the various personalities. Each personality is a different person with different names, views of the world, ages, sexes, intelligence and whatever else. They emerge during events of high stress or emotions because they are the fragments of the host that better handle the current situation. Once the situation is resolved, they go away and the host (your boyfriend) returns. Some hosts have co-consciousness, meaning they are aware of what their other personality is doing but they cannot stop it, such as being in the passenger seat and not the driver's seat. Other people don't remember what happens at all or remember small bits and pieces but need others to tell them what happened.

To answer if it's curable depends on whether you believe it actually is a real diagnosis. I'm in the large group of people that don't believe this diagnosis and reasoning for the symptoms of it. This doesn't mean I don't believe what your boyfriend displayed, I just don't believe the theorized reasons behind it. Like all mental illnesses, it can be managed with medications and specially-designed therapy for people who have DID. Often this therapy involves the person's close ones knowing of the disorder and therapy so as to know what to do when something happens.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread