TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Nightmares.. - September 16th 2010, 12:20 AM

Is there any way that I can make it so I don't have nightmares almost every night? It's becoming quite frequent, and I'm SO tired the next day because I've slept like crap.

Is there anything that I can do to decrease the chance of me having nightmares? It's creating a whole bunch of stress in my life to add on to all the other things I'm stressing about..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Nightmares.. - September 19th 2010, 03:35 PM

Hey Melissa!

Ah, nightmares. No fun, no fun. Have you noticed any patterns in your nightmares? Are they happening at random, or only when you partake in certain activities? Are they happening when you're sleepy and you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow, or are they happening on nights where you're more restless? Does it matter where you're sleeping, or HOW you're sleeping (on your stomach, on your back, on your side)? I think it's important to notice patterns so that you can try to eliminate them altogether! So, if nothing else, just be attentive to them, you know? MayoClinic gives some tips I'd like to share as well. Some of them are geared towards adults with nightmares and some of them are geared towards children with nightmares. Regardless, I think you should give it all a read through and see if anything helps you out! Good luck. Here you go:

Quote:
Lifestyle and home remedies

By Mayo Clinic staff If you're having nightmares, try some relaxation techniques before bedtime. Take a warm bath, meditate or practice deep breathing. If your child is struggling with nightmares, be patient, calm and reassuring. Sometimes a little creativity helps, too.
  • Talk about the dream. Ask your child to describe the nightmare. What happened? Who was in the dream? What made it scary? Then remind your child that nightmares aren't real and can't hurt you.
  • Put stress in its place. If your child seems anxious or stressed, talk about what's bothering him or her. Practice some simple stress-relief activities, such as deep breathing.
  • Rewrite the ending. Help your child imagine a happy ending for the nightmare. Encourage your child to draw a picture of the nightmare, "talk" to the characters in the nightmare or write about the nightmare in a journal.
  • Provide company. Your child might feel more secure if he or she sleeps with a favorite stuffed animal, blanket or other comfort object.
  • Enlist a guard. If your child is very young, you might assign a doll or stuffed animal the job of "staying awake" all night to guard against nightmares.
  • Brighten up. Use a night light in your child's room. If your child wakes up during the night, the light might be reassuring.
  • Open the doors. Leave your child's door open at night so that he or she won't feel alone. Leave your door open, too, in case your child needs comfort during the night.
Don't feel silly that some of these are geared towards younger audiences, though. There are many, many adults with nightmares too - you're not alone. Also, Melissa, you may even want to look into maybe creating a "social group" here on TH for people with nightmares. I ran a search and didn't find any thus far, but I do think it's important to be able to connect with others going through similar things, and I know that there are people here who are dealing with having nightmares often (because I've seen their threads and blog posts about it)! So, that's just an idea. Hang in there!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Nightmares.. - September 19th 2010, 11:17 PM

Heya!

Personally, what I've found helps me is falling asleep listening to some calming songs, or even Ambient music. Though, one of my recent top songs to fall asleep to is "Fireflies" by Owl City, you've probably heard it. I put that on low-volume, let my mind wander, and fall asleep.

But, if you don't think "Fireflies" will work, or even just want to try the Ambient music, here are some sites with great Ambient Music Internet Radio Stations!

SomaFM, particularly the stations "Drone Zone", "Space Station", or you can just click around and find one right for you.

Sleepbot Environmental Broadcast is a great Ambient station, with a lot of nature-based sounds.

Those are the stations I commonly use, but even a Google search could bring up more if you don't like those ones.

Hope this helps!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread