TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SuperSaiyan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I think my mind is falling apart.. o.0 - September 16th 2010, 02:56 PM

Hello I'm new, a friend suggested this website he said people are very polite and help out teens so i'm seeking for some help and yeah:

I think i'm loosing my mind. I'm a straight-A student. I've been so for 10 straight years ever since I started school. I never tried too hard, and without effort had such results. I engaged some competitions between schools, in math, and programming and etc. And had great results. I never however had any problems like i do now. Sure I was lazy from time to time its normal. However:

I decided to work harder this year than the previous. Last year (10th grade) I didnt study almost at all. All I'd do is read some literature and pay attention on class, and I had all marks up sky high. Now I wanted to just well idk be more commited. I have the will, I want to do it but for some reason it all ends up like this:

I wake up - go to school - pay attention and be active and stuff - I get kind of hyped up about studying at home, can't wait to come back and do so - school finishes - i come back home - i dont feel like studying. I'd rather play games or just stare at the wall and dont do anything. I'm trapped in my thoughts and not doing anything that I cant Work, and I'm not working because i'm not doing anything. Just like Stephen Moler (moderne poemist) said... I feel weird. Its not like I never play games that i want to over-do it now, come to think of it i'm not even playing that much games at all. I'd just sit at my pc or in my bed and think and think and think. and every time i say to myself: ok ill start now! i just push my studies later and later, so eventually my gf comes from school (she starts 1pm and returns at around 7) and so i go out with her, return home and sleep... I need help real bad i feel like i wont do anything im also kind of anxiestic and depressed at times..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: I think my mind is falling apart.. o.0 - September 17th 2010, 12:35 AM

Hey, it's okay. Your mind isn't going to fall apart, and it sounds like you're a very intelligent and quick-witted person. That being said, intelligent people get bored very easily. It only makes sense; if you don't have to apply much effort and can get things done quickly, then you have all of this free time left over. Now, I understand your desire to apply yourself more, as I struggle with the same thing. It's not that you're lazy, necessarily, but that your mind isn't used to having to follow a routine for things like studying. It's something that takes practice, and just getting yourself to study, in itself, is a skill.

My suggestion is that you start off small. Force yourself to study for at least five minutes. Leave notes for yourself everywhere reminding you to work. Draw an angry face with "get to work" written under it and hang it on your wall. If possible, you can even see if you can get a friend or family member to help you. Tell them if they catch you slacking off to remind you that you have work to do. I know it's hard to get motivated sometimes. I always promise myself that I'll take care of weekend homework on Friday and Saturday, and then I end up doing it all in a rush on Sunday night. Studying and following a routine isn't a skill that comes naturally to all people. It might take time, but you'll get it eventually. Also, if you're having problems with anxiety and depression, that might be contributing. If you think it's getting too severe, you can always try talking to a counselor. A counselor might be able to help you sort through this and find a method that works for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Aberrant Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Talie

Re: I think my mind is falling apart.. o.0 - September 18th 2010, 06:58 AM

I agree with what little-fish said about possible being bored. You definitely seem very smart, especially if you can get a's with little effort.

Perhaps try studying at school? Go to the library and study there? Or if your schools library isn't open after school try a local library, or even local uni library.

If you can't really get out to study, try even moving rooms. Study in a different room, or outside even. Sometimes a change of environment can help.

And lastly, try and get a routine started. As in from time x to y you will study, and if you do that everyday it becomes much easier. Getting started is the hard part.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SuperSaiyan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I think my mind is falling apart.. o.0 - September 18th 2010, 11:21 AM

how do I get started? xD

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I think my mind is falling apart.. o.0 - September 29th 2010, 09:42 AM

Hey there!

I think you need to draw yourself up a little schedule. I had a colour coded one once and it really worked wonders for me.

Here's what you do:

First you've got to block off sections of time where you can't be studying.
So draw in blocks of time where you get up in the morning, go to school, travel home, have a snack, get showered, maybe even play a game.

If your girlfriend comes over regularly, set a definite time for when she visits. Invite her over at a certain time every day or however regularly she really comes over, but make sure you explain about your new little schedule and your super study plan.

Now just divide up what you've got left over. Draw in little blocks of time every day that is study time, and try to specify how much time you're giving to each subject if you can. Try to do a bit of colour coding for each type of activity or each type of subject if you can, as this makes it heaps easier to read and remember.

Stick your little schedule on your desk and follow it. Pretty easy once you get started.

Remember to start small though. Some progress is better than no progress.
Try the timer thing on your first study day, set a timer for fifteen minutes and go at it. But remember that you are fully allowed to stop for a break after fifteen minutes. This will work because you overcome the inertia and you won't feel overwhelmed by too much stuff to do. If you don't have a timer just set the oven timer or alarm clock or mobile phone, but make sure you start out small. Small steps are the key to getting anything done.

If you really have trouble, reward yourself as well. One small accomplishment gets one small reward.

Closed Thread