TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I really hate the way I look :/ - October 22nd 2010, 01:40 PM

I've noticed this a lot more this week. Me and my friends have been on holiday and my one friend kept taking pictures and videos of us. I just look vile :/ I hate my voice also, I never realised just how annoying it is.

I'm meant to be having an operation (and a brace) soon to fix my overbite so that will deff. help but God knows when that will happen :/ I also hatehatehate my nose >____< I really want a nose job :/ I don't mind the way I look otherwise, well I suppose I'd like to be thinner.

I just feel so disgusting looking at these pictures and videos :/

I hate smiling and laughing in public due to my overbite also, I tend to cover my mouth with my hand when I do :|

Obviously I will have to wait until I have the operation to really fix the problem with my teeth but I still hate the way I look even without that problem :/

I know there are loads of people out there who think they're ugly when they aren't but I really don't think I am one of those :|

Question is is there any real way to make me feel less disgusted with myself?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 22nd 2010, 02:57 PM

Hey Ceilidh! Glad to see you back from your holidays

As you may know I too have the sameish sort of situation as you. I cover my mouth too, I never have photos or videos taken of me and I'm just generally displeased with the way I look. I don't really know how I cope with it, I tend to just try and ignore everything.

I've had braces and it didn't fix anything and I've decided against any surgery so I'll be stuck with my image forever I suppose.

We can talk about this some more if you'd like. Just message me. Take care

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 23rd 2010, 01:48 AM

I honestly think that just being natural is beautiful. I have seen girls, some of them my friends even, became self-conscious and try to hide whatever it was. It is certainly not quite helping. One time my friend was talking to me with her hands covered her pimple on her right cheek. It is definitely not helping, and I cannot hear clearly of what she was saying consider she has a soft voice to begin with.

While I am not proud of how I look (Look at that picture I have on my profile, I look like shit, literally), I think that just being confident is the way to go. A confident person leaves a stronger, more positive impression on me.

I don't know other people, but I respect people who didn't get any physical enhancement to their physical appearance (I am talking about surgeries, and over-the-top make up usage, think drag queen), because I know that they see more importance than their physical appearance. There are a lot of girls who I consider attractive, but repulsed by their behavior (and stupidity).

So, be natural, and confident, would be my suggestion.

And I saw the pictures you have on your profile- You are beautiful. Look in the mirror without the mindset of "I really hate the way I look", and I think you will really appreciate yourself and how you look.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 23rd 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
I know there are loads of people out there who think they're ugly when they aren't but I really don't think I am one of those :|
Well, to be honest there are very few people who are unhappy with their appearance but just believe it's in their head. Most of the time that person genuinely believes it. Personally I used to loath my appearance for pretty much the same reason, my nose is huge and I never like to smile in public because of my huge front teeth. Now I still dislike it, but I'm slowly learning to accept myself.

Surgery probably wouldn't help much. Trying to cover up or compensate will only make you feel more uncertain about how you look, the best thing is try to appreciate yourself and accept your appearance. Disliking your appearance usually comes from having a low self esteem and a past of bullying and/or insecure people who harshly judge you and comment without reason. Having friends who compliment and appreciate you would work wonders for helping that.

And a completely honest opinion, I've seen the pictures on your profile and I always thought you looked great! In fact it really surprised me to read this and find you didn't like how you looked. Be confident and proud of who you are.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 23rd 2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks guys, it really helps <3 When I was about -13 I never really thought much about how I looked. I didn't think I was pretty but I thought I was okay looking, I really do blame the bullying about this :/ I remember when I was 15 I started caring more about how I looked, I bought hair extensions and started putting on more make-up. I walked out of my GCSE exam one day and a guy looked at me and just said "ew" :/

We were playing truth or dare on holidays and the question was "name one thing you dislike and like about you appearance" I kept naming things I hated my friend Angharad said to me "I really do think you're pretty" I just always think people say that to me to just be nice :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 23rd 2010, 08:14 PM

Well, that guy is a moron if anything. He might not even directing that at you- I wouldn't know for that circumstances.

And I really do mean you are beautiful- not saying that only to be nice. And your friend has an awesome name, haha.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Vulgarity Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 25th 2010, 01:34 AM

Don't compare yourself to others, you are who you are. Everyone is different and by what I see there can be a lot of beauty in difference. Stop looking at the features you don't like about yourself, and start aiming to see the features you like.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PoeticZoe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Zoe Alexi

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 25th 2010, 08:07 AM

A friend of mine once said happiness from outside is temperary true happiness is from within, I hate how I look but I try to be happy with myself so others thinks it's better.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I really hate the way I look :/ - October 26th 2010, 12:21 PM

This may not be of much use but you don't have to look "perfect" and it doesn't really matter how you look. Most jobs and people will work and respect you if you respect yourself. I'm sure the friends who take the photos and videos do so because they accept how they look and make the best of it. When I get friends (especially girls) take my photo, I'm not a physically ripped guy with a Tom Cruise face; I'm blubbery with some muscle hidden underneath and there are plenty of guys who look better than I do but I don't fuss over my appearance because it's as is. You won't get all people to like your looks but you cant ever please everyone. When the guy said "ew", it means nothing because you don't know why he said it or if he was just a jerk with a stick up his ass.

So to be less disgusted with your looks comes by liking the rest of yourself.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread