TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 01:39 AM

I can't remember the last time I cried. I was probably about six. It seems rediculous that I'd want to. But I feel like if I could just let go I'd be able to get some of my misery out of my system. But I can't.

Just Keep Breathing

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 04:05 AM

I'm not exactly sure of ways to make yourself cry..
but wanted to express that I relate so much.
Sorry this reply wasn't very useful. <3

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 04:20 AM

Blair... I think I know exactly how you feel.

Granted, the last time I cried was in like October. But some nights I just want the tears to come. I want the release, I want the catharsis, I want the comfort of burying my face into my pillow and just unloading.

Being in much the same situation, I can't offer much helpful advice either. Sorry. Sometimes I come really close watching a truly fantastic episode of House. Ayn Rand's writing and Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach occasionally literally moves me to near tears as well... but that's probably more just the way my brain works. I don't think the rest of the world gets moved to tears reading abstract math.

(Yeah, I'm a guy. So what? Social stereotypes are worthless.)

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 04:43 AM

Crying...is something that happens a lot in my life, more often than it probably should but for me it takes very certain conditions.
9 times out of 10, it's not the sadness or frustration that makes me cry; it's something involving happiness.
For instance, it could be the thought of losing all these happy things, or it could be a reminder of happiness during or after something immensely emotional and sad.
(I should clarify - usually the only thing that brings me to tears is a big fight with my girlfriend)

Occasionally something will make me feel like I'm about to cry, but usually it doesn't boil over for me.

This was probably an unhelpful post..sorry..

EDIT: Oh! And cutting onions! But that's paaaaiiiiinfffullll..

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 04:50 AM

I'm a professional crier, so I can't say I know how you feel. :/ Tears come without my control. There are just some people who don't cry, and then there are others like me, who have made a habit out of crying. When I'm sad, I cry; when I'm happy, I cry; when I'm angry, I cry. Whenever I'm experiencing emotions, tears just flow out of my eyes.

But there are people in my life who I've never seen cry, my aunt for instance. Of course, that's not to say they don't cry in the privacy of their own homes.

You can't make yourself cry, unless, of course you chop onions. That might work. And for me, because of my eye surgery, if I'm in any type of sunlight my eyes will water up because it burns really bad. I didn't see that the poster above me suggested onions. xD

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 07:25 AM

think about what it is you want to cry about deeply and profoundly every single detail get it out there remember the pain as if it is happening right now. you might help you cry
listen to sad songs you can relate to over and over again and think deeply about how you relate and how much it hurts.

if that doesnt make you cry and get the release you need i dont know what will
chopping onions only makes your eyes water they are not actual tears that will give you release

watch sad movie or something.
im sorry i am not helpful i have this same problem as well

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 01:55 PM

Hey, I'm not a crier either. Never have been and probably never will be. It's completely normal. You just express your emotions in a different way. The only thing that makes me cry is when I get extrememly frustrated. It's all down to your personality type. I did a bit of research on my personality type and I realised that most people with the same type as me don't cry often. Made me feel less alone :P you could try figuring out yours?! Either way you need to find some outlet to relieve your emotions. I use sports and music but if you're artsy or anything like that it would work the same. Crying isn't an instantaneous solution to any problem though so like I said find an outlet good luck. PM me if you need to talk!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-boo-bah View Post
Hey, I'm not a crier either. Never have been and probably never will be. It's completely normal. You just express your emotions in a different way. The only thing that makes me cry is when I get extrememly frustrated. It's all down to your personality type. I did a bit of research on my personality type and I realised that most people with the same type as me don't cry often. Made me feel less alone :P you could try figuring out yours?! Either way you need to find some outlet to relieve your emotions. I use sports and music but if you're artsy or anything like that it would work the same. Crying isn't an instantaneous solution to any problem though so like I said find an outlet good luck. PM me if you need to talk!

i know this does help the original poster but how did you figured out your personality type i'd love to know mine

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 07:36 PM

Even when you feel very down it can be hard to cry I've found. I seem to cry when I don't want to, and I do when I don't.
There are other ways to let our misery besides crying, so maybe try some alternatives? Maybe try listening to some sad music?
If you really, really feel like you need to cry, then I think they make some eye drops that will make you cry pain-free.

Good luck!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 07:51 PM

Hey Blair,
I can relate to what you're going through. I don't show my emotions very well at all and I rarely ever cry. I always get made fun of and called emotionless and what not. So you're not alone in that.

Like Ali said it's okay that you don't cry some people just don't very often. Seeing as crying is a good way to get emotions out you may want to look for different ways to do so if you don't have any aleardy.
I usually try to write it out or something like that. Theres many different ways though. You can write it out, draw, dance, excersise, sing, talk to somebody. Thats just some of the many.

Hope this helped.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieRage View Post

i know this does help the original poster but how did you figured out your personality type i'd love to know mine
Read up on MBTI on wikipedia and also read up on Enneagram types on wikipedia. When you have enough info you'll probably have a fair idea what your type is but you can back up your guess by taking free online tests too that will tell you exactly what type you are.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 08:09 PM

im the same, i told my counsellor i couldnt cry and she told me ' you have most likely shut down emotionally in a way to cope' i sometimes do cry but only when things get really bad but thats only once or twice a year.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Can't cry - January 9th 2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks so much you guys. It's nice to know I'm not totally weird. And as far as the other ways to decompress emotionally, most of them don't seem to work. I sing/songwrite and that (although I love it) doesn't really drain anything. Cutting works most of the time but then I have to feel like a failure after. So I'm not sure quite what'll help. Thanks for the advice =)

Just Keep Breathing

Closed Thread