TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nicole26 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Mind problems - January 29th 2011, 08:36 PM

I've no idea if this is in the right place so feel free to move it.

Okay so first of when I was younger I used to have horrendous night terrors. I used to sleep walk scream and wouldn't be able to see peoplle just the layouts of rooms in the house. I got reality and imagination confused so easily. I'd sit looking at nothing for hours. It would get so bad. My mind at night when I sleep made horror stories up. But yet when I would try watch a scary film I'd cry and scream to get away.

Okay so last night I went to see a thriller, Black Swan. Anyway I cried through it and was shaking violently, and panicking; heavy breathing etc. I can't look in mirrors and feel like I'm going insane. I keep mixing reality with imagination. I can't stop. Please please help, i'm petrified.

Sometimes...
you just need to...
Runaway...
To see who will follow you.

It's not easy to reply to "are you okay?" when you can't remember what okay feels like...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Psychotic Offline
The Helpful One.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kane

Re: Mind problems - January 29th 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole26 View Post
I've no idea if this is in the right place so feel free to move it.

Okay so first of when I was younger I used to have horrendous night terrors. I used to sleep walk scream and wouldn't be able to see peoplle just the layouts of rooms in the house. I got reality and imagination confused so easily. I'd sit looking at nothing for hours. It would get so bad. My mind at night when I sleep made horror stories up. But yet when I would try watch a scary film I'd cry and scream to get away.

Okay so last night I went to see a thriller, Black Swan. Anyway I cried through it and was shaking violently, and panicking; heavy breathing etc. I can't look in mirrors and feel like I'm going insane. I keep mixing reality with imagination. I can't stop. Please please help, i'm petrified.
You should look out for these, if they have any of these, try and eliminate them.

Physical or emotional stress
Medications (including sedatives)
Sleep deprivation
Stimulants before bed
Jet lag or time zone changes
Drug abuse
Mental instability

Find a happy place. You don't need to literally surf the globe, and find a happy place. You can make one up, or base it on a nice place you've been to. No matter what or where it is, just make sure it's calm and relaxing. Also make sure that you don't tell anyone who you don't want appearing there where it is, or else they'll appear in your dream and mess things up. To better visualize your happy place in your dreams, draw a picture.

Think happy thoughts. Right before bed, think of extremely happy and nice things happening to you, like flying in the clouds. You should also imagine yourself in your happy place having fun. As soon as something bad begins happening, force yourself awake. Soon, the bad thoughts will disappear.

Talk to someone about your dreams. Find someone who you trust, and explain your dreams. Also explain to them why they scare you. Just letting your feelings out makes things better. You can write this in a Dream Journal, but be aware that sometimes it helps to explain it to someone who you know is listening. Some people can get away with talking to a scarecrow, while others need someone who deeply understands the topic and gives feedback. See what works for you, and regularly explain your nightmares to this person. After a while, they should go away.

Attempt to manipulate your nightmare. Some people are better at this than others. See if you can make certain things happen in your dreams, and once you get good at this, you should be able to make the frightening things go away. Don't get frustrated with this, because it comes faster to some people than others. Relax and take your time.

Relax. Nightmares can also be caused by stress, such as wondering if you will get a job or not. Let go of your worries, and begin having happy dreams again. You can relax by either meditating, or having a nice day at the beach. Just make sure it's a quiet area where you can relax and chill out.

If this fails, go and see a doctor. They will do tests and probably refer you to a psychologist.

Don't judge others, if you can't judge yourself.

I don't want to live To waste another day Underneath the shadow of mistakes I made Cause I feel like I'm breaking inside I don't want to fall and say I lost it all Cause baby there's a part of me to hit the wall Leaving pieces of me behind And I feel like I'm breaking inside
  Send a message via MSN to Psychotic Send a message via Skype™ to Psychotic 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nicole26 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mind problems - January 29th 2011, 11:49 PM

Thanks I'll try it all I have nothing to lose And I'm scared out my mind so I need something to do. I don't know how to understand my dreams. But I'll try everything.

Sometimes...
you just need to...
Runaway...

It's not easy to reply to "are you okay?" when you can't remember what okay feels like...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nicole26 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mind problems - January 29th 2011, 11:50 PM

Wha do u mean mean by mental instability ?

Sometimes...
you just need to...
Runaway...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dee Kaur Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Diya Kaur

Re: Mind problems - January 30th 2011, 12:18 AM

Hi, I understand how you're feeling. I sneakily (silly me!) watched The Exorcist when I was 8 and needless to say it scared the hell out of me. I had night terrors on and off until I was 10 and to this day cannot watch a horror movie and if I allow myself to then I can get all worked up and scared again.

I don't think you have any kind of mental instability. I think you've had these horrendous dreams as a child and naturally just like everything else in our childhood, these have affected you.

I know the whole swarm of images, thoughts, what if it happens to me etc etc will all be swimming around your head and the more you try to not think about it the more it's there.
I used to immerse myself into whatever made me happy, whether it was reading, spending time with my family or even running to tire myself out so I'd sleep easy. I eventually grew out of my fear and you will too. In the meantime if it's really something that you feel you can't get control over I would strongly suggest you go to your GP, explain how you're feeling and what's happening and get yourself referred to a trained counsellor who will be able to give you actual tools to help calm and focus your thoughts in a more positive direction.

YOU ARE 110% NORMAL - HONESTLY.

"The healthy man does not torture others. Generally, it is the tortured who turn into torturers" - Carl Jung.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Psychotic Offline
The Helpful One.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kane

Re: Mind problems - January 30th 2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole26 View Post
Wha do u mean mean by mental instability ?
The quality or state of being unstable; lack of stability or firmness.

The tendency to behave in an unpredictable, changeable, or erratic manner: emotional instability.

Don't judge others, if you can't judge yourself.

I don't want to live To waste another day Underneath the shadow of mistakes I made Cause I feel like I'm breaking inside I don't want to fall and say I lost it all Cause baby there's a part of me to hit the wall Leaving pieces of me behind And I feel like I'm breaking inside
  Send a message via MSN to Psychotic Send a message via Skype™ to Psychotic 
Closed Thread