TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
manic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Warren

mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 02:12 AM

okaaaaaay sooo i had an incident in school annnd got in a bit of trouble well actually i had a few incidents over the last 6 years by a few i mean like 1 or 2 a month no big deal right? but i had to talk to a therapist for anger management and she is in my kitchen talking to my mom right now! about me! and i heard her say i have mania and im still figuring out exactly what that is buuut can anyone help me out and maybe tell me if they know what they gunna do to mee????

Last edited by manic; March 17th 2011 at 02:22 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 02:24 AM

If they are a clinician/doctor with any sort of proper training, they will help you feel better. If you truly do have manic episodes they may place you on a mood stabilizer, but they will discuss this with you prior to that. The stabilizer will generally reduce dramatic mood swings by leveling you out on average. It's not something to worry about. They will discuss things with you beforehand to include you into the process as much as possible and it is more likely to be a net positive.

Just for your information: mania is a mental state characterized by several factors. Of which it can include: quick speech/thought, risk-seeking behavior, very high productivity, grandiose views of yourself, and psychosis.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
manic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 02:38 AM

wow that sounds like it could be insanely awesome ima have fun with this thx for the info :P

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic View Post
wow that sounds like it could be insanely awesome ima have fun with this thx for the info :P
Full blown mania is rarely "awesome". Rather, it is troubling for all those except, usually, for the one who is experiencing it. A key item to notice is the "psychosis" element. Complete loss of touch with reality. This can be, at the very least, problematic. It can easily, and readily destroy a person's life. My aunt experiences this and has a difficult time managing it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
manic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 03:08 AM

reality is no fun anyways and im sorry about your aunt anyways with what you told me i am happy now because honestly im quite certain i do not have mania yay me so thanks so much

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 03:08 AM

Mania is not fun, that's the last word I would think of to describe it. Its hell, it ruins your life and it sure as hell made mine worse than it probably would have been. It turns you into someone you're not. Also a therapist is not really qualified to diagnose something like bipolar, and if you think its fun I don't think you have it or you haven't felt its full force yet.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
manic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 03:24 AM

"Mania is not fun, that's the last word I would think of to describe it. Its hell, it ruins your life and it sure as hell made mine worse than it probably would have been. It turns you into someone you're not. Also a therapist is not really qualified to diagnose something like bipolar, and if you think its fun I don't think you have it or you haven't felt its full force yet."

like i said im sure the stupid lady has no idea what shes talking about she pissed me off i wish she would just die i wanna stab her! she knows nothing about me gawd sorry i wasted anyones time with my post

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic View Post
"Mania is not fun, that's the last word I would think of to describe it. Its hell, it ruins your life and it sure as hell made mine worse than it probably would have been. It turns you into someone you're not. Also a therapist is not really qualified to diagnose something like bipolar, and if you think its fun I don't think you have it or you haven't felt its full force yet."

like i said im sure the stupid lady has no idea what shes talking about she pissed me off i wish she would just die i wanna stab her! she knows nothing about me gawd sorry i wasted anyones time with my post
Not a waste of time. Don't worry about it. We are here to help.

I'm glad I was able to help you put your mind at ease. The professional may have made those comments preliminarily to your parent to help them understand what they may be facing, even if that wasn't their full diagnosis (as diagnosis would require a more extensive evaluation). I wouldn't take anything she said personally, for that matter.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: mania???????????? - March 17th 2011, 05:47 PM

DON'T WORRY! They will support you and give you tablets to help control you. It is likely you will have regular counciling and help lower one or two a month to one or two a year. It's nothing to worry about, it's good because they are helping you and can help support you emotionally.
  Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
Closed Thread