TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 11:22 AM

My friend (23 years old, has had BPD for 3 years and knows me better than anyone else on this whole planet) said to me yesterday 'i think you have bpd as well.' i said 'no.. why?' and she goes 'look at this list of symptoms, how many do you think you have?' and i realised that, in one way or another, i had every single one. she knew it too. she recognised the bpd in her boyfriend, and has a whole group of friends who have the disorder.
i just didnt think it could be diagnosed under 18?
so, still unsure, i went on loads of those online tests. (dumb thing to do, i know...) and every single one told me that i had a high likliness of having bpd, or was high risk or whatever, or just that i definetely had it?
im really addicted to self harm, am impulsive, always feel worthless, self loathing, easily angered or irritable, an eating disorder, often act recklessly without thought to consequences (binge eating, i've done things sexually with people i dont like just to punish myself, or just because i hvent thought about it at all and just did it impulsively) ocd, have unstable relationships and sometimes idolise people then change it really quickly for no reason, i've been really suicidal and empty feeling, and depressed, and spend my life thinking that everyone's trying to abandon me. like, to a really high extent.
i'm 15 in a few weeks. i dont know if all this stuff is serious to see someone about, or what.. but i was just wondering what people's opinions were on her suspicion? am i too young? i have all of the symptoms definetely, but does that make it bpd..?

thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 04:18 PM

The fact that she has a whole group of friends with it, unless she met them in some sort of support group, makes me skeptical because I don't think you would know THAT many people with it. The ONLY way to know for sure is to see a professional, and even if it isn't that then it wouldn't be a bad idea because a lot of what's going on isn't healthy. Most professionals will NOT diagnose BPD in anyone under 18, but it's still worth seeing someone about.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 04:25 PM

The best advice anyone here can give you is to see a professional if you believe you have any type of mental illness. I personally don't like the fact that your friend has been 'diagnosing' people. BPD is not that common so it sounds a little strange to me that she has a lot of friends with the disorder, but don't quote me on that. It only affects about 2% of the general population. Here are the DSM criteria (this may not be the most recent version of the criteria). I would also suggest that this person's other friends see a professional if she's said that they have the disorder.

http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoda...main/dsmiv.htm

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 05:43 PM

She met them all through a support group for BPD...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 07:03 PM

It is possible you have it and I definitely think you should see someone about it but psychologists aren't professionally allowed to diagnose you with bpd until you are 18. I believe I have it as does my psychologist but he wasn't allowed to confirm it unto I turned 18.

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  Send a message via AIM to llamasliketoparty  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 07:46 PM

I also wanted to add that the way you listed your symptoms sounds like you were self-diagnosing, using exactly what the lists of symptoms states for them.

Self diagnosis can be dangerous, you can make yourself think you have something and actually end up CAUSING the symptoms that way.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 08:34 PM

BPD is very complicated and ONLY a professional can diagnose you. Diagnosing BPD in teens is rare, and frowned upon because your personality is still developing. It's normal for teens to not know who they are, you are still developing and growing. The only time when BPD is diagnosed in teens is when the symptoms are extreame.

Like previously said, it is VERY dangerous to self-diagnose yourself and this can make things more difficult for the professionals. I am STRONGLY against doing this. There could be other things that can cause the symptoms you listed for one, such as depression. These sound like a form of depression to me, but I'm no professional and you should see one about this. If you try to self-diagnose yourself, you can actually believe you have symptoms that you do not have to match the diagnosis and other real symptoms may be ignored. Just because you have some of them, does not mean you have the disorder. These symptoms are also found in other disorders. The best thing to do, is see a professional with an open mind and explain to them what you have been having problems with.

Please, do not jump to conclusions. Do not assume you have it without talking to a professional. You are young, and things are still changing for you. There is a lot to this disorder.

Take care of yourself.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 7th 2011, 10:24 PM

The last professional I ever saw made a suggestion about me having it, but refused to give me the official diagnosis because I was 14 at that time. It was a complete fit then and I couldn't understand why it was held back, but I now appreciate the logic, because I've grown up to become something completely different.

Granted, I owe that to the occurrence of a few extremely rare (as in, about as rare as winning the lottery) events that completely changed my life between then and now. But the beauty of being young, is that there is yet the potential within us for such radical changes, improvements, to occur. That is not to say that an older individual when granted exactly the right conditions would not be able to benefit from them, but it would be much more difficult. I can see how if I was given the official diagnosis and began identifying with it, I would have been much less open to the opportunities for change that were uncovered to me. Maybe that is why there is a general age limit of 18 (although I personally believe that labeling runs a risk of some sort at any age), based on the idea that there is greater potential for change at a younger age.

I believe that we can benefit from learning to see our struggles first and foremost as they are - our struggles - rather than attributing them to some label of illness that supposedly defines who we are as a person, because it doesn't. Our struggles are not made any more or less real by the presence or absence of a diagnosis, and maybe it really shouldn't matter whether we receive it or not. If we do, that is only a tool to facilitate discussion and for others to be able to help you better.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 8th 2011, 08:17 PM

I agree, I was skeptical. I wasn't sure how I could have it, but she's almost persuading me that I do.. Hmm..
Thanks for all the replies
I do have all of the symptoms, I made a list, and then I looked around and matched them up and she's confirmed it. It just didn't make sense seeing as I'm 14?
I might see someone about it, I might not. It's not too serious.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 9th 2011, 03:36 PM

Problem with the symptom list, is that it's specific, but broad at the same time. Meaning, it's easy enough that, when you're looking at it, you could be over-analyzing little things.

As has been said, the biggest problem is that, at 14, your personality is still developing. Your hormones are still going whacky, as well. So, you're going to have things like mood swings, irritability, crazy thoughts/feelings, do reckless things, etc. Those things aren't necessarily a mental health issue, but rather, the life of a teenager.

However, if you continue having these problems into adulthood, like when you're going on 19/20, then BPD would be worth considering. Until then, I suggest you see a school counselor, or a therapist, or somebody who you can talk to about these things.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: BPD at 14..? - June 10th 2011, 03:08 PM

The main reason that it's not diagnosed in teenagers is the fact that hormones are all over the place and that could make everything unstable as it is. Most teenagers probably would experience symptoms, as it's such a stressful time, trying to fit in and discover who you are. BPD is very hard to diagnose as most of the time people would have multiple diagnosis (ocd, anxiety, depression etc) and it's hard to put them all together.

I myself showed symptoms of BPD when I was younger, but they stuck with a diagnosis of Severe Depression as they didn't know if my hormones would change and how things could be when I got older. I then got diagnosed with BPD at 18, and I was told that they didn't diagnose me before because of the above reasons.
Try not to get too fixated on a diagnosis, that could make things worse by symptom checking and self diagnosis like the other users have said. Instead you want to focus on why you are feeling this way and how people can help you. BPD is just a word(s). You are you so make sure you do whats right for you only
x

Closed Thread