TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Experienced TeenHelper

Scared - June 22nd 2011, 09:21 PM

This is the only place where I thought this could fit, but I don't know.

Okay, for as long as I could remember I've been scared of the dark and occasionally staying home alone. But lately this fear has really taken a toll on me. It's really starting to affect how I go about my daily life.
So to start with staying home alone, I feel really unsafe for some reason. I ALWAYS feel like I'm being watched and I have no idea why. It's gotten so bad that I'm afraid to even look in the mirror because I'm afraid I'll see someone behind me, I don't want to open the shower curtain after I'm done showering because I think something is there, and I'm afraid to even turn the corner. Today I swore I heard a man saying my name but I knew that all the doors were locked and no one was in the house. It really creeped me out and to make it worse I heard some kind of knock or something.
Now for being afraid of the dark, I always have to turn on all the lights on my way to the kitchen to get a drink of water and I'm always afraid of looking at the windows because yet again, I always feel like I'm being watched. I also just really don't want to go to sleep even though I'm really tired. I have to fall asleep with my TV on every night and I absolutely hate doing that because it wakes me up at like 4:00 in the morning.

I don't know if it's this house, something that could've happened in the past that I can't remember, or if I'm just going crazy.
Is there something wrong with me? I feel so paranoid because of this constantly.
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Scared - June 23rd 2011, 09:11 PM

This kind of sounds like my friend, and even myself sometimes.

My friend can't be alone in her house or else she freaks out, I don't know why but sometimes I do the same thing. It isn't that you're crazy, it sounds like anxiety to me honestly. Just remind yourself that the doors are locked, no one is in the house, and it's okay. Sometimes I find that it helps me to be in a small room, like my bedroom and that way you don't feel like someone is watching you (at least for me it helped).

Have you told anyone in your family that you feel like this? Because they can probably help you. Some people just can't be alone, and I know adults that are still afraid of the dark. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you, I promise (:

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared - June 24th 2011, 12:08 AM

Yeah, I always feel somewhat safe in my bedroom, it's just a matter of when it's time to go to bed. If I don't have the TV on for noise I just freak out. Like yesterday was really bad. My dad usually gets home at about 4:30 and he didn't get home until 7 and when I decided to go out to find dinner I started having like, a panic attack because I had to go out to my garage and my garage is freakin creepy. And to get out there I have to go through the laundry room, which is really, really small and it's also hard to get to the light switch since we have shelves blocking it. Ugh... It was terrible and then to make it worse my dad burst into the door and nearly gave me a heart attack.

No, I've never really thought to tell any one in my family because I feel like they would just say something like, "You're being stupid, suck it up and deal with it." (Well, that would be my brother, my parents would probably at least attempt to make it nice. xD)
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
Closed Thread