TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Should I be worried? - July 7th 2011, 03:10 AM

Okay so one of the reasons I came back (besides the fact I missed everyone) I realized I have had migraines worse than usual. I realize that I have chronic migraines, so to speak. (Family curse and I was unlucky ) But this past week has to be one for the record books.

I was at work last Thursday, and of course I had a migraine that was getting worse. The worst it had been before Thursday was just really bad throbbing and I would eat something and it would help, then I'd nap it off. But that day. So I ate, but it got worse. It got so bad I could barely see out of my right eye. 0_o No, my contacts where just fine, that was the first thing I checked. I told my boss I was going on my break, and then I actually passed out in one of the lobby booths. After my short nap, I still felt horrible and I went home sick. That particular migraine didn't go away until Saturday morning.

Sorry for the long description. I'm just worried, because it has never been that bad. I have never passed out from a migraine or actually had trouble seeing, neither has my mom or my sis, who share the curse with me. Is my worry unnecessary, or should I be worried?

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Should I be worried? - July 7th 2011, 03:37 AM

Concerning only the visual symptoms, were there any of the following or something similar: zig-zag lines, bright flashes, dark spots in your field of vision, TV-fuzz-like vision (with or without many colours) and eventually temporary decrease in vision?

If you have any NSAIDs, such as Naproxen/Aleve, Advil, Tylenol or Aspirin, you may want to take some. NSAID is an abbreviation for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. They can also help prevent fainting (which results from sudden low blood pressure), such as Naproxen because it increases blood pressure. Keep in mind, this can have other cardiovascular consequences especially if you have a known cardiovascular disease. Also, any of the NSAIDs have mild pain-relieving properties.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I be worried? - July 7th 2011, 03:50 AM

Well, for the vision thing, nothing really happened before. I was just walking and I felt a little dizzy then my vision got blurry in that eye.

I usually take some Ibuprofen, but I have to take half doses because I'm really sensitive to medication? I don't know how to put it, but if I take a full dose it knocks me out cold, my dad is the same way. It works just fine but it doesn't last very long.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

Breathe - Ryan Star

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Should I be worried? - July 7th 2011, 04:42 AM

Reason I ask so much about the vision symptoms is it can indicate the type of migraine and source of the migraine. It may be a migraine headache with a visual prodrome.

Of the various NSAIDs, Ibuprofen has the smallest half-life, meaning the effects will be the shortest. The only thing you can do to have it last longer is take a different NSAID. If you're very sensitive to Ibuprofen, chances are you'll be sensitive to Aspirin and Naproxen. You could try a different NSAID called Celebrex because it does not have the same mechanisms of action and metabolic paths. It also lasts a lot longer than Ibuprofen. Tylenol's mechanism of action is different from Celebrex and the other NSAIDs but it may last almost as long as Ibuprofen does.

If you're interested in pharmacology and biology, there recently was a new suggestion of how Tylenol works. It's quite controversial at the moment so if you're interested, give a quick read.
http://www.pnas.org/content/99/21/13926
http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-...834-8/abstract

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I be worried? - July 7th 2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks I'll give them a look.

For the vision, I have had the black spots before, but none of the other things you mentioned. And that time I didn't get the black spots.

My mom uses Naproxen for her migraines since Ibuprofen doesn't work really well for her, so I have some to try instead of Ibuprofen.

Thanks for the advice.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

Breathe - Ryan Star

Closed Thread