TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wtf- Offline
The Happy Nihilist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

How to act around someone with PTSD? - July 7th 2011, 05:55 AM

Well, my father got in a head on transport truck collision in December, and well... I'm definitely not the best person to be around with someone with PTSD. I'm argumentive, and I can't figure out for the life of me if some of these symptoms he's having relate to PTSD at all:

- The world revolves around what he's saying/doing. He'll cut you off mid sentence, and continue on with whatever he's saying, or completely ignore you.

- He doesn't know how to deal with someone trying to discuss something with him. If they don't see his way right away, it's automatically considered an argument, and shouting ensues.

Those are the ones I'm having the hardest time with. Any idea how to well... cope with it, I guess?
  Send a message via MSN to Wtf-  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: How to act around someone with PTSD? - July 7th 2011, 11:00 AM

Was your dad diagnosed with PTSD? If he was then maybe talk with his therapist or doctor about ways to deal and cope with his illness. I don't actually know a thing about PTSD so that's all I can really say, did he have a head injury in the collision? If he did maybe this is more related to that than PTSD?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Wtf- Offline
The Happy Nihilist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

Re: How to act around someone with PTSD? - July 7th 2011, 10:33 PM

Yeah, he had a certain extent of brain injury. Nothing serious. And he was diagnosed with severe PTSD... 'cause he had to sit in his truck for two and a half hours (conscious) in -55 Celsius until the ambulance came, when he had broken every bone on the left side of his body. ;/

I am going to talk to his therapist soon - I was just wondering if there was anything to help me in the mean time. I know it sounds me - but he frustrates the hell out of me when he's like this.
  Send a message via MSN to Wtf-  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: How to act around someone with PTSD? - July 12th 2011, 08:19 PM

as someone with ptsd, i suggest just being there for him and biting your tongue when you want to argue with him. he's going through a hard time and he needs all the support he can get. good luck x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Avalon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Avalon Stormsworn

Re: How to act around someone with PTSD? - July 16th 2011, 01:08 PM

My mother has PTSD.

Was he like that before? Is this new? Because if it is new, well he knows he had the accident right? I think it would be okay to say, in a calm time, Dad I love you and I want to have a good relationship with you but since your accident there are some things that are bothering me can we talk about them?

My mother gets into moods where you cannot talk to her. She just is so tense everything you say is wrong. And I have learned during those times it is better if I can be calm. But when she is back to herself she does know it is not really right to put that on me and she listens to me then. That makes it more okay. But she is clear with me too that she is working on it because none of it is really okay. Is your dad seeing a doctor?

In the middle of an argument it is probably no good though. I have people I can call, like my aunts. Do you?

Closed Thread