TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Is it normal? - March 17th 2012, 04:04 AM

So recently I find myself not wanting to speak to anybody. It just seems like such a pointless effort to maintain friendships, because whenever I have a problem, there's no way I'm going to go running to my friends for advice. I'm much more likely to go to bed for a few days. So I don't really see the point of most of my friends.

There's one friend who I love being around, and who I DO ask for advice(she listens to all my stupid mental ravings), and another in a different country at the moment, who I miss like hell. But in general, I just feel sick of people.

I suffer from depression and I'm wondering if this is a symptom of it (no longer having an interest in people or much of the world outside my room) and also, if I should maintain my boring friendships just for the sake of it, because I might find them interesting again later...?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Is it normal? - March 17th 2012, 03:56 PM

What you're experiencing is 1 of the many signs of depression. I would definately talk to some1 about it so they can help you so that things don't end up getting progressively worse.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is it normal? - March 17th 2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesong3 View Post
I suffer from depression and I'm wondering if this is a symptom of it (no longer having an interest in people or much of the world outside my room)
Yes, you're describing symptoms commonly attributed to depression.

Friends are not a substitute for treatment. They care not qualified to provide the intensive, specialized approach that has been shown to improve depression. All talk is not the same!

Call a professional, and bring all this to them...and then, use your friends for what they're best at, companionship and fun. Keeping things separate allows you to address both your needs....fun and help...with the right people so your expectations are more appropriate to the situation and you're therefore less likely to be disappointed.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Re: Is it normal? - March 19th 2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks a lot! I know I should go for treatment, it's just hard because I have to involve my family and I really hate disappointing them...

I would never use my friends as "treatment", I'm talking about little things like (for example) breaking up with someone and then going to a friends house to talk about it. I wouldn't do it, couldn't do it. And yet I have to listen to my friends talk endlessly about their problems (like their relationship problems, or study problems) and so when I say I don't see the point... I mean that I feel like it's all give and no take.

But if it gets worse, I will seek professional help. Probably.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye

I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Is it normal? - March 19th 2012, 08:12 PM

Hey Nicola

You don't seem to be getting any better on your own. Not wanting to talk to people is one sign that things are getting worse for you since you weren't always like this. I'd recommend reaching out. Let your family in on this and get the help that you need. Your family would want to help you through this than see you go worse.

I was just talking to my psychiatrist today and he said that not wanting to talk to people is the stage that we reach when we don't get the response that we need when we talk to them. It is a sign that things are getting worse for us. And believe me, it just gets more and more worse from here when you're going through it alone and not getting any help. Here is a list of people from whom you can seek help.

PM/VM me anytime if you want to talk.
Take care and stay strong

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread