TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
byuhgirl Offline
Esther
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esther

Pro-ana sites??? - December 6th 2012, 04:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So this is more of a vent and a honest to gosh curious question. When I am doing really bad I look a pro-ana sites. Especially before I knew about this site and I would see so many girls saying how they want an eating disorder and how they wish they could somehow develop one. WHAT IS THAT!!!! I wish more than anything that I could not think about it! That I didn't have to care about what I ate or how many calories i'm burning. So I just don't understand how someone can sit there and be like "ya I really want ana to help me" or something like that, it just makes me so mad! Asking about tips to throw up or how they should start restricting. I know that obviously something is not going right in their lives or in their emotional state of mind if they even have a desire to start. However, when I developed mine I wasn't thinking about starting it, I didn't even realize I had one until it was too late. Is anyone else like this or have any opinions on this? Maybe someone could explain this to me, I might just be completely ignorant on the subject. Sorry if this sounds super judgmental I am just confused and frustrated :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
toiamol Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 6th 2012, 04:03 PM

Hey,
I feel the same way I think It's so sad and stupid, especially on the actual girls with an ED side, i'm struggling with it and i would NEVER want anyone to go through this, and I bet loads of girls start starving because of those websites.
I'm not gunna deny ive looked at them though, as i find them quite addictive, but i hate them because i know they're only destroying me more!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 8th 2012, 01:09 AM

It seems ridiculous but I must admit, I read all about pro-ana and other people's experiences with eating disorders and I STILL went ahead and began to starve myself. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Something in my mind just says "it's worth it, I'll be skinny" but I know that it isn't. I think there's something more than just 'I want to lose weight' to it. Some girls do it for attention and it gets out of hand.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 8th 2012, 01:41 AM

I've been restricting meals, purged once, binge a lot and feel guilty because of it for ages and I hate seeing people who see someone who has an ED and say, I want to be like that, and start because of it. It annoys the hell out of me!
Some people need a solid hit to the head to allow common sense to filter through! Kidding of course, but those sites are their for support not for people to read them and be like 'OMG, let's do that! I wanna be skinny!' It repulses me..

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
byuhgirl Offline
Esther
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Esther

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 8th 2012, 03:07 AM

I remember when I was at my worst point and I was on the site. This girl asked me how I was so lucky to develop an eating disorder. To have that kind of self control. All i could think was are you serious??!!! She wanted me to teach her how to be anorexic!! I even warned her about all of the bad things that were happening. She told me that it was worth it and she asked why I continued. To which I replied that it was to late, I was in too deep. Constantly, I would try to stop and I just couldn't. Finally I went through recovery, but it took a really long time. Maddening I tell you, just maddening!!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 8th 2012, 11:00 AM

I share your views entirely. Ignorance is bliss, after all. Something obviously isn't right if someone wants an eating disorder. However, I do want to point out 'wanting to be sick enough' when you already have an eating disorder is a common trait. However, the perfectly healthy craving an ED is like someone craving cancer.

#Rant over

Take as long as you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kamrin

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 01:43 AM

I can't believe sites like this exist. ED's aren't something someone should want. I've never seen any of these sites & I don't plan on looking at them because I don't know how they'll affect me. It's sad to hear this, though

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 04:35 AM

I hate these sites. I don't really have an ED, but I know a lot of people with them and it sickens me whenever I see these kinds of things on Tumblr. I don't understand how someone can have the audacity to say they want an ED. From what I've seen, EDs are a silent hell for the person, filled with self doubt and sometimes paranoia and just overall bad feelings. I don't see how someone completely healthy can say they want to be sick, they want to have what some want to get rid of. It's horrible what the media portrays as beutiful, resulting to these ignorant people to say these kinds of things and make these kind of websites. Completely sick.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 07:09 AM

I've seen first hand how they affect someone. My (ex) friend started following all the pro ana tumblr blogs, and then I found out she was doing eating disordered things to lose weight. I had a tumblr not linked to my name, went on and started talking to her about my experiences, hoping to put her off, and she said she was jealous of me and my 'self control'. Now she seems to have developed bulimia... It's horrible because she was unhappy about her size and her body before, but she still enjoyed eating and stuff, and now she doesn't.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 09:49 AM

During bad times, i can spend hours on pro-ana sites. I hate myself for it, but it's almost like a motivation, to see the thiness i can aspire to be, feel like i'm not alone.

In all honesty, any girl who is so concerned about her weight/body that she's looking at these sites and desires ana, first has no idea WHAT it is, but also clearly had to some extent the start of an ed

(#11 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 01:24 PM

Hello,

Sorry to jump in, but I'm needing to point something out.

Some girls feel the need to begin an ED to be popular at school, to be thin to feel better about themselves. Just because they ask "how to get an ED" doesn't mean that there isn't body image issues in their lives.

Myself, I do not automatically shut them out- or get mad at them... I try to ask them what's going on in their lives that they only feel that they can control their weight/body? and then I give them the ugly truth of eating disorders.

I'm recovering, have been since november 2011, and would never wish this on my worst enemy.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love__me View Post
Hello,

Sorry to jump in, but I'm needing to point something out.

Some girls feel the need to begin an ED to be popular at school, to be thin to feel better about themselves. Just because they ask "how to get an ED" doesn't mean that there isn't body image issues in their lives.

Myself, I do not automatically shut them out- or get mad at them... I try to ask them what's going on in their lives that they only feel that they can control their weight/body? and then I give them the ugly truth of eating disorders.

I'm recovering, have been since november 2011, and would never wish this on my worst enemy.
The people I don't like aren't the ones looking for tips (I know how awful and how desperate it can feel hating yourself and wanting to be thin and you want to try anything, even though I know not all people seeking pro ana sites are that desperate a lot of them are). I don't like the people who give out the tips, because I struggle with my eating, and I would never wish it on anyone.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 09:13 PM

I also don't like the people who give out the tips to these young people. I mean, can't they see that by doing this, they're hurting them more?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Vicky

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 11:10 PM

Honestly I hate these sites but I'm guilty of going on these sites for tips a few times. But this was once I was already started and I wanted to do MORE. not that that makes it better.

I wish there was a way to ban them, I really do

(#15 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 21st 2012, 11:30 PM

I don't go on them for tips, I go on them b/c there's a recovery board/section. If I can help others realize that Recovery is worth it, then it's worth it for me.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - December 22nd 2012, 04:26 AM

I have split feelings. While I think they're extremely negative, especially triggering for recovery, I do not think that they cause eating disorders and I do not think they should be "illegal" meaning completely banned from the internet. I think Tumblr has the right to censor what people are allowed to put on their particular site, which they have banned these blogs, but as freedom of expression, these people should be allowed to host their blog on the internet somewhere that it is allowed. While I think it's unhealthy, I think for some people it allows them to express their unhealthy thoughts, and although they might be sick and unagreeable, they have that right. I also think people can choose to go on them or not go on them. If you don't like them, don't visit them, and educate others not to do so as well. Overall, I don't like them at all, I do not recommend them to anybody on this site, but they have their right to have them.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
owlcity:) Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jennifer

Re: Pro-ana sites??? - January 3rd 2013, 12:58 AM

Yeah.. I reallly don't like them yet I still have got on them.. Idk why.. It's addicting..
It kinda started because I like to compare myself to other people so I would like at pictures of celebrities etc. Idk why.. Not so much now..
but I did meet a new girl.. I told her about TH.. We email a lot.. She's really cool.. She's going threw a lot of depression.. :// <3

<3

Closed Thread