TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 28th 2013, 08:33 AM

I've been eating healthy lately. I've been eating mostly salads, fruit, pasta etc. in the day. The only problem is the night :/ I will eat a stupid amount of crisps, sandwiches, chocolate, toasties etc. I will eat so much my stomach actually starts hurting :| In the morning my stomach will hurt quite a bit. I woke up at 7am earlier just because my stomach was hurting so much I don't know why I do it, I know my stomach will hut and I'm not hungry but I will keep eating.

Surely this can't be good for me :| I shouldn't be having pains due to overeating. I don't know why I keep doing it I know what's going to happen. Would this be considered some form of eating disorder? Can anyone relate? In my head I can't possibly have an eating disorder because I'm a normal weight but I know that can't be true.

Edit: http://www.abigailnatenshon.com/bingeeating.aspx

Yay -____- sounds about right :/ great. How can I stop myself? I seem to have no self-control when I do it.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 28th 2013, 09:45 AM

I haven't had this myself but one of my friends has, they only bought the food they needed to cook and eat so they couldn't eat anything else. Or you could maybe lock it somewhere like a cupboard or hide the food, it might help.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 28th 2013, 11:59 AM

If I lived on my own I would but I live with my parents They sometimes eat stuff like crisps and jaffa cakes too (not as much as me mind >.>)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 28th 2013, 07:15 PM

Oh my god I thought I was the only one who does this. :|

I tend to binge eat at night because I get really bored and to food is just 'there' so I go and eat it, sometimes my brain's on "Must eat" mode even though I've not long eaten and it really is quite bad some nights. Here we have thinks like crisps or biscuits. Biscuits I'm so bad with that I'll eat an entire pack for myself and then have about half of another with a cup of tea for my breakfast. :/

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lostangel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 28th 2013, 10:20 PM

Hi Luna,

Late night eating is not an easy habit to deal with. I have been struggling with it for awhile. I tend to eat more while spending the day indoors behind the computer screen or just watching TV. Basically, such boring inactive days trigger me to eat junky stuff in some extreme quantities. So I would suggest to get out of the house as much as possible. You can start by taking short walks with a friend. As u are overeating during the night, U can try to go to bed earlier, so that u won't be able to eat as much.

Most of the time, I prefer to eat together with friends. Going out for lunch or dinner is more fun anyway. Plus, I usually don't eat so much around ppl. Maybe the reason why it's much easier to overeat during the night is because there is no ppl to remind me about the consequences.

For me, overeating during the night is a coping mechanism. With which I try to keep the worries away. And seriously it never works well. Yes, there is some emotional comfort in eating junk food, however it is not worth all the possible side effects. In your case, it's a stomach pain. There could be many different reasons for overeating, including emotional, physical and psychological ones.

When you are eating during the night try to understand why you are eating what u are eating. People usually do things for a reason. Keep a notepad around to track down ur possible triggers. Put down all the the things that come to your mind. The first thoughts are important, so don't dismiss them - write them down too.

In journalism there is a rule of 5 Ws and H, which stands for the questions of Who?, What?, When?, Where?, Why? and How?. It might be useful to use this set of questions when writing about ur eating patterns. I use such approach frequently for different situations, when I need to get an insight into what is actually going on.

At this point, u are the only one, who can find the way to improve ur eating habits. Last but not least, change is a gradual process and it is not easy. Try to start with smaller steps.

The post is based on my own experiences
Hope u'll find solutions that will work for u

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 29th 2013, 01:24 AM

Hey Ceilidh,

Binge-eating is fairly common and you shouldn't feel alone. A reason that nobody has brought up yet is that often, you binge as a result from not getting the proper nutrition during the day. Although you're eating healthy, you may not be getting enough calories, protein, fat, etc, and you eat too much at night to make up for these calories or other nutrients. This would make sense, considering that you said that you've mostly just been eating salads and fruit during the day. Believe it or not, you need fat, along with other nutrients such as protein, and you may not be getting enough of one or more of these nutrients.

I would try two things. One, increase your caloric intake throughout the day, particularly of healthy fats and proteins. A good example would be making sure you have a nice piece of baked chicken for dinner, or a healthy turkey sausage at breakfast. If you're a vegetarian such as myself, or just enjoy them, having eggs at your breakfast can help. Then, for healthier fats, try adding avocado to your day, or adding nuts to a snack. I'm not sure if you guys have these, but a great snack to have are "Kind Bars" which are nut bars that have a good amount of protein and healthy fats in them.

Last, I would talk to your parents about buying more healthy snacks to your house. When you get hungry, try to have one of these instead. Consider getting some "Pop Chips" or "Sun Chips" (once again, you may not have these types of crisps where you live, but you can look up similar ones!) or prezels for salt cravings, get some almonds for a quick higher protein snack, get some fruit to eat, etc. Basically, have some good backup healthy snacks, and try to keep to serving sizes by pouring out the amount first.

Last, if you can afford it with money or time, consider seeing a doctor about these issues! They can see if you are having nutritional deficiencies, or maybe other compulsive behavioral issues, and your doctor can give you a plan you can follow that is probably better than mine, without mentioning a bunch of American food ideas. Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ElenDarkwood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 30th 2013, 09:54 AM

Hey!
I completely understand what you're going trough. Same used to happen to me, too.
You're having binge tendencies because you're under eating, or you're body is not happy with your diet at the moment. Try eating filling foods such as oatmeal and peanut butter. Eat big breakfast and try to eat more of the food throughout the day cause you're moving and your body is burning calories right away.

Oatmeal contains protein, fat and carbs, and peanut butter contains protein and healthy fats which helps you feel full. If you're not vegan or vegetarian, try chicken, fish or Greek yogurt.
Never skip breakfast, cause it will make you overeat later in the day. Have a nice big breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner, don't eat 4-5 hours before bed. If that sounds too extreme, then go for minimum 3 hours. Make sure you're eating enough of right foods, if you're eating healthy, there is really no need to count calories. Eat fruits & veggies as much as you want and less of unhealthy foods, cause, if you restrict and deprive yourself from healthy foods, then you will binge on chocolate and that kind of stuff, which is worse!

I hope this helped, if you have any questions, please let me know!
I know a lot about this, I can really relate to you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 30th 2013, 11:36 AM

Tbh, I probably only eat one (maybe 2 if I'm lucky) actual meals in a day. I never eat breakfast either.

We have Sunbites here (which I actually love)

nom nom nom. My mum always says we're going to buy healthy food but whenever we end up in ASDA or whatever we'll buy crap :')

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Eating to the point of pain :/ - July 30th 2013, 05:58 PM

My WiFi got weird, I've had to retype this reply twice. Third time's the charm?

I'd start by eating breakfast. Begin with smaller breakfasts, such as coffee or tea with a muffin, and increase size from there. Also, try to have healthy snacks throughout the day that are high in protein and healthy fat. With two meals a day, you are notgetting enough calories, so raise it in order to not eat too much at night. Last, remember that its okay to eat a bit at night. I ate a small snack last night because I was hungry. It's when it's too much and your belly is hurting that it is a binge. Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread