TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

I don't want to throw up... - March 3rd 2015, 05:45 PM

Well, lately if been stuggling with eating a lot. Like, I don't want to eat. I really don't though usually I force myself to at least one meal a day.
I thought I had everything under controll, but the last few days everytime after I eat i get the urge to throw up. Like I would finish eating and feel so full and disgusting and so so sick.
I mean I really really really don't wanna throw up, because it's disgusting and smells and *shudders* but I found myself infront of the toilett a few times now. I was able to stopp myself up till now and if it was just by sitting on the toilett for two hours straight (because I can't sit in front of it if i sit on it) but I don't know how much longer that will work because it gets harder and harder and I feel so sick. I just want to get rid of that feeling but I don't know how.
Do any of you have any tips beside sitting on the toilett and crying my eyes out, that can help me avoid throwing up?

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: I don't want to throw up... - March 4th 2015, 04:28 AM

hey there,
It sounds like you're struggling a lot. Usually with eating disorders a person thinks they got it under control and but it starts to spiral down. With purging through self induced vomiting, what happens is that your body is so used to you causing yourself to vomit that it vomits on its own now. It's probably a really scary experience.

I really recommend you talk to someone who can help such as your doctor. Since there's a lot of physical risk to eating disorders, you can speak to a primary care doctor/general practitioner. If they cannot help you to the extent that you need, they can refer you to a different professional. It also helps to work with a team of professionals in constrast to just one because Eating disorders are a mental health issue as well as a physical health and sometimes it takes a team of support to get to recovery.

As for practical tips to avoid throwing up, I would suggest you keep yourself hydrated and also try to eat smaller meals and in a more frequent interval instead of three bigger meals spread out in the day. Also there's something called electrolytes and with Eating disorders we tend to lose electrolytes or have an imbalance. I hear that increasing your salt intake will help. For example some nuts that have salt on them. Some people say drinks like gatorade but I would not suggest that only because if you're going through recovery you want to start eating nutrient foods and don't want to depend on energy drinks and replace that with food because that's something people can get into the habit of doing. But it is true that when a person is dehydrated or nauseaus they're given gatorade as opposed to plain water so that they keep their electrolytes in balance..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: I don't want to throw up... - March 6th 2015, 06:56 PM

Hey,

Thank you so much for the tips. I will try to splitt that one meal into two smaller ones. I mean, I can do one, so I can to two small ones as well. I think I can do that. Also I will try to drink more. I've been told I don't drink enough since I can remember so I will just keep trying to improve that and focus on eating nutriend foods.

About the doctors... well, I'm gonna so a therapist for something else anyway, so maybe I can try to ask him about that as well and if he tells me to, I will talk to my doctor, though I will wait till I talked it through with him. Don't want anymore trouble than I already have.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread