TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Question Do I need a dietition? - May 9th 2015, 07:50 AM

Hey
My therapist told me sheíd like me to see a dietitian.
Only Iím not sure I really need it. I do some ED behaviours but I still eat enough most days and the behaviours are only there for a few days and then I have other behaviours. Different behaviours switch of and on. And Iíve only seen my therapist for 2 times now and have only really told her what went wrong. And I donít want to waste peopleís time by going to a dietitian when I donít really need it.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Do I need a dietition? - May 9th 2015, 05:09 PM

Dietitians are great for everybody honestly. They can help you create a meal plan of foods you enjoy that will also help you eat healthier. I recommend going even if you think your eating habits are fine, because it's likely you're not eating enough vegetables, or getting enough iron, etc. I don't believe it's someone you have to see regularly. Their goal is to help their clients eat healthier, so you wouldn't be wasting their time, so I think it could be worthwhile to go and see if they can give you some tips.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Do I need a dietition? - May 18th 2015, 09:08 PM

Hi there,

Like Nicole said, Dietitians and nutritionists can be helpful for any person. They aren't just there for people with eating disorder's and a lot of people find them helpful because they can do meal plans and help you get the nutrients you need in your body each day to keep you fit and well. So I wouldn't say no to it. It might be useful!

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Do I need a dietition? - May 18th 2015, 09:19 PM

I honestly have to agree with dietitians being for everyone. There are two parts to this.

1) You know yourself best. Consider what a dietitian does and how their work would apply to you. Weigh out whether that would benefit you at this time. At any cost, a dietitian would have a consultation with you. When I had one they took my weight, height, and muscle mass and help construct a meal plan accordingly. They also took my ED behavior into consideration. Even if you don't think in this moment that you need one, it can't hurt to see one once and give it a chance.

2) The second part is, it's easy to be in denial about personal problems we have. I'm not saying you're in denial, but it's not uncommon to graze over issues. For example, someone may be becoming increasingly more depressed but because they aren't as depressed as others they don't think they need a therapist. Nothing bad can really come from seeing a dietitian, whether you *think* you need it or not. You deserve to be healthy and happy, and a dietitian will only help in getting you to that point. Even if you think your eating habits aren't as bad as they could be, that doesn't mean you don't deserve that help.

You ARE worth it, and this is worth giving a shot. I hope this helped a bit! <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread