TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 25th 2015, 10:06 AM

Ok so I never mentioned this before but I have previously had an eating disorder and I used to barely ever eat otherwise I would feel sick and want to throw up to get rid of it. It went away for a while, well at least I thought it had, but now its sort of coming back and every time I look in the mirror I want to throw up and never eat again. I have so many thoughts about, well everything, and I have no idea what to do.

Also I'm just saying I feel a little bit weird about saying so much about me on here, I've never done it before, I don't really know what to tell you but please don't act funny when talking to me. A lot of people do, I don't know what else to say. Thanks.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 25th 2015, 12:53 PM

Hey I'm afraid I'm not able to help you that much on this issue, as I have never had a proper eating disorder... I think the best thing you could do is talk to your parents about it, see your doctor and they'll almost certainly sort something out to help you. Also, I would try to really think about what you're experiencing and think about exactly why you feel this way -- why do you feel sick when you look at yourself in the mirror? Why should your appearance even matter? Are you afraid of other people's judgements regarding your physical appearance, or do you genuinely feel unhealthy? I have often felt insecure about my body, although it has been quite the opposite, as in my case I perceived myself as being too skinny. It went from playful teasing at school to me actually believing I was anorexic (which I was not). I found that the best thing for me was to talk about it with my parents and my close friends, who helped me realize that I was absolutely fine. And now, just a yeafr later, I'm quite confident about my body, or at least more than before.
Something else which may help is eating foods that make you feel healthy and exercising a little bit every day. This will boost your self-esteem and confidence, plus it's healthy to do so even if you haven't got an eating disorder.

Basically just tell someone about it! If you don't know what to do, at least that person will be able to help you and support you, so that will be a good first step.
Also, you have to realize that appearance matters so little when it comes to any sort of attraction, and that you should not be influenced by other people's judgements, as long as your doctor says you're healthy.

Hope this helps a bit!

Skye.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
frozensystem Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aurora

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 25th 2015, 02:16 PM

I know what you are going thru. I had bulimi but i thought i got better untill few months ago I starten throwing up my food again. I hate and love food at same time and I cant eat when I'm with other people.

It really helped me when i told about this to my friend and she really has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. So if you can or if you have someone you can talk about your feelings about food and eating, you should just tell them.

You can always chat and message me if you want to talk
Hope you get better ��

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 25th 2015, 04:16 PM

Hey Hilary,
I'm glad you feel you can share things here, even if it is somewhat embarrassing to you. You mention your eating disorder as though it is the past. But now it is coming back. Remember that relapses happen, often during stressful situations. What are some things you've done that helped you recover last time? Best wishes

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 26th 2015, 08:17 PM

Hi there Hilary,

I'll tell you now that I have EDNOS and Bulimia so can relate to eating disorders a little but but of course everyone has a different story. I'm wondering whether anything has triggered these thoughts and feelings to come back again? I know you say its when you look in the mirror but I'm guessing you have always done that so why has it flared back up now? Its something worth thinking about and trying to learn and understand why and if you do figure it out, feel free to talk to us about it and we'll try to help you through it. Just know that your eating disorder doesn't define you.

And also know that we're not here to judge you in anyway. I think a lot of us have experiences of some kind of issues whether its an illness, family related problem or pregnancy, and none of us want t be judged or treated differently so we won't do that to you

Always here if you need a chat,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
renai. Offline
inkslinger
Not a n00b

Name: reh-nay

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 28th 2015, 03:12 AM

I know exactly what you're going through because I am in the very same boat right now. I know how it feels. I'm not really sure how to help but I am here if you ever need to talk. Much love.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - May 29th 2015, 11:58 PM

Hey there,

You seem to mention that your eating disorder thoughts and habits have gone away but are recently flaring up. Going off that assumed information I want to ask if you have had any stressful situations come up in your life recently. I have EDNOS and I am always struggling with the negative thoughts but my purging will increase when I am stressed out. If you can work on identifying the triggers to this you might be able to work on minimizing them and getting to a better place with how you are currently feeling.

You mentioned that you have never really opened up about this to people and I would like to encourage you to open up to people in your real life because the fact is eating disorders feed off of secrecy so if you open up and let people in it will no longer be a secret. I know that opening up about my eating disorder to people in real life has helped me be more aware when my purging gets out of hand and things like that. I don't have a lot of supportive people in my life because they don't understand eating disorders but I am hoping that you will find some support by opening up.

Something you might want to consider is opening up to a counselor about this. I know I got a lot of support for my eating habits from one counselor. She referred me to a treatment center and I learned some things from that situation.

I really hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Hi apparently I'm human too. - June 2nd 2015, 03:46 PM

Hey there,

I'm going to talk about the biological aspect of what you're going through right now. Every teenager I talk to this about, I have to bring it up because it's worth mentioning. As I'm sure you may know, starving yourself is unhealthy. Here are some of the effect of anorexia (which I'm not diagnosing you with, as I'm not a doctor, but you exhibit some of the same symptoms) is loss of hair, poor circulation, body shut down, compromised immune system, brain damage, and heart attacks. The two things I want to touch on for you, specifically is starving yourself can make you infertile and can affect your growth. You being 14 and participating in such behavior can having long-lasting, damaging effects that are irreversible.

I tell a lot of girl this, but you're 14, you're still growing and shifting, and changing. Your age group isn't meant to lose weight unless specified by a doctor simply because you're supposed to grow. Of course, that doesn't take away the emotions that you're feeling, and I totally understand that. Which leads me to the emotional aspects of what you're going through.

You mentioned it going away and then coming back? Can you think of what might of triggered your behavior to come back? If you can figure that out, you can work towards coming up with a game plan to prevent all your emotions crashing down on you at once. It sounds like you have a lot going on, what sorts of things can you do to de-stress? What sorts of things can you do to release negative, pent up feelings? For me, I play games with friends, sing, drive, and talk to my mom. What would that look like for you?

I want you to try something. Get a box, jar, medium sized bowl, or container of some sort. Then get some note cards. On each note card write something you like about yourself, a favorite quote, cool song lyrics, goals, or anything positive. Write out as many as you can. Then, fold them up and put them into the container. Every morning draw one folded paper, read it and reflect on it. Carry it with you through the day, and if you're feeling stressed or triggered, pull that paper out and read it as many times as you need to. Make this into a fun art project, decorate your note cards and containers. Get a group of friends to do this with you. (You don't have to tell them about why you're making this) I made one of these for my mom, and she loved it and used it every day. It might really help, and it's totally fun, inexpensive, and easy to do!

I hope this helped a little. Remember that you're worth it. Reach out to people when you're feeling down, or triggered. Having a support system around you is important. <3

Take care

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread