TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

It's back - October 27th 2015, 05:13 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I used to post in this forum several months back, when I was having a lot of trouble with my eating habits. I'd routinely restrict and then purge. It was a pretty terrifying time in my life and I was really unhappy. People in my life started worrying about me and talked about putting me in a program. However, in early July I started worrying less about my eating. I don't know what changed, but I gradually felt less and less terrified of eating and grew less and less obsessed with calories. Eventually I was eating a normal amount. I wasn't losing any more weight, but I wasn't gaining weight, either, and it was a good place to be.

In the last several weeks things have changed, though. I've noticed myself becoming more and more preoccupied with my appearance. I've started thinking I'm fat again, even though I haven't gained any weight. I purged the other day when I felt I ate "too much." I ate a specific food today and I started crying. I've started making plans to restrict again. I can feel things slipping out of control and I don't know what to do.

Help?

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: It's back - October 27th 2015, 09:12 AM

Hi Jordan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit at the moment. We all need a bit of advice and support sometimes, so I'm glad you posted here and I hope I can help you out a bit!

First off, from seeing some of your other recent threads, I know you're going through a difficult transition in your life. This has probably caused you a great deal of stress and made you feel many different strong emotions.

Sometimes eating disorders/disordered eating starts to become prevalent when we go through something that makes us feel like we are not in control of ourselves or our life. One thing that can be controlled, is what we eat, and how much we eat. This is why many people begin to fixate on food and their bodies as they are trying to gain that sense of control back. Stress can also play a big factor in a change in eating habits and experiencing a decrease in self esteem.

I think it may be important to reflect on yourself and why all of a sudden you're feeling this way. What has triggered you to resort back to the disordered eating behaviours? Being aware of the reason(s), can help you try to get back on track and stop before it gets worse, as well as receive personalized support from others.

Eating disorders are just another form of self-harm. I really recommend you reach out to someone close to you, to get some support. I also suggest talking to a professional, such as a doctor or therapist, as they have the educational background to help provide you with the best support or can refer you to someone who can help. I understand that these suggestions probably aren't too appealing, but right now, you're still in the beginning stage of your disordered eating and this is when it's crucial to reach out for help. You're probably already aware how hard restricting and purging can be on your body. It is very unhealthy and can cause a lot of health complications, some that could one day be permanent. If you wait, things will likely get worse and it will be much more difficult to stop the habits and get back to being healthy.

This is not something you need to go through alone, okay? This is an extremely difficult thing to try and do all by yourself so don't be ashamed or afraid to ask for support. You deserve to be happy and healthy.

I hope some of this was helpful.
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Closed Thread